The Dark Mod Forums

Fake Or Real

oDDity

A pretty tough challenge, I got 8 out of 10 first time, 10 out of 10 with a second try, and 3 out of 4 on the bonus round.

I'd suggest just going with your first feeling rather than tryng to guess whether they'e trying to trick you or not.

http://www.autodesk.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/quiz.html

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Woohoo, I got 9! I thought the first car w/city was real - I still can't believe it's CG.

3/4 on bonus (I thought the colorful salamander thing was CG, mainly because of how oddly the tail twisted without any creases)

The part 1 version - 8/10 (I thought the real nails were CG and the CG nails were real, woops!)

One of the main things I looked for were tiny random imperfections, hinting it was a real photo

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

8:10.

I was just about to push CG for the car too, for largely the same reason: the bricks didn't have any realistic caulk or dirt between them and were just too clean, but then I saw one little weed poking out from a groove so hit real at the last second.

The airplane also threw me off because I didn't really know what I was looking at and just guessed 50/50.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The airplane also threw me off because I didn't really know what I was looking at and just guessed 50/50.

The only one I see that you could be talking about I'm pretty sure is a close up car

Of course, it would be possible to make a much tougher challenge than this, I've seen CG images which could not be distiunguished from the real thing, but it wouldn't be much of a quiz if it was impossible)

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, the whole point is to make them at just that level which most gamer people will get a couple/few wrong, so it's a reasonable challenge.

Now if you asked my mom to take the quiz, might as well train a monkey to randomly select (not that my mom's a... nevermind)

The only one I see that you could be talking about I'm pretty sure is a close up car

Yeah, I did this very fast and wasn't really paying close attention at all. I can now see it's the trunk of a car with buildings being reflected on it. When I first saw it I didn't know what it was on first glance so just clicked as fast as possible, taking the advice to just gut-call it when in doubt. When I said it was an airplane, I was looking only at the thumbnail, and even then not very closely, where it looks a little like an airplane wing in the background ... but not close up.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I got 8/10... I suspected that first car might be CG since the foreground looks so clean, but I figured it still looks too realistic, and chose "real".

Yeah, I chose real aswell because the car looked too good, but the cobbles in the foreground looked as though they did not have enough patina and wear, but then I thought it was just me.

For some reason, I thought the diamonds were real. The car was a dead give-a-way for me given the cobble below was much too flat in the background. Cars seem rather easy (at least compared to other things) to mimic with CG. Even many games today have cars models that appear real at first glance. 9/10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...