The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I guess the only way to do so would be to make the ai nondamageable. This may be achieved by stting all the damage_scale_ spawnargs to zero. As ai only wake up, if their alert state is at three or above, you could also try to set the alert_tresh_ spawnargs to very high values, like 100. I think there is a maximum level the alert level can reach, maybe 50 or so.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think there is a single spawnarg that changes the AI damageability. Check the def files for LQD shadows. Builder_ghost.def.

Alternatively, you could give a health of 1 so that they die instead of awkward awakening. (Yep, remembered to take the Evil Genius pills today...;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks guys, placing the alert and pain thresholds to 1,000 did the trick (though because the AI is undead I also had to set neverdormant to 0, and I set canSearch to 0 for extra measure).

Unrelated question: I have a custom AI that I don't want to perform idle animations. In its def I put a dash for the idle anim spawnargs. This worked, in that the AI no longer idles, but I keep getting error messages in the console saying that the game can't find the idle anim for the AI. This isn't a gamebreaker but it is cluttering up my console logs...is there a better way to stop the AI from idling? Thanks.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Create an empty animation (thus meaning one that does nothing) and use it as idle anim.

Thaks, since I can't animate I'll use Sotha's idea :P. Slightly related: I have an AI with a ghostly, transparent skin. When I shoot arrows at it, they pass right through the AI. That's pretty neat but for this AI I need to disable that effect. Is it controlled by a specific spawnarg?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Can you post the skin file here? Do I understand you correctly that you don't want the errors to go through the ai, thus meaning they should instead behave like they normally do?

Hey guys, just about ready to go into beta testing after I iron out a few more bugs:

1) If I wanted an AI to be damaged by holy water, how would I go about doing it?

2) This is a revisit from a post way back, but I have an AI who I want to be non-frobable after they die. The script I have set up as the death script is as follows:

void NotFrob(entity e)

{

sys.wait(0.5);

e.setFrobable(0);

}

void NonFrobGhostCorpse(entity e)

{

thread NotFrob(e);

}

The death script is "NonFrobGhostCorpse", but the corpse is still frobable after death. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

If the script thingy don't work, see which entity is used for the ragdoll. Than create an entityDef that inherits from it but is not frobable. Use this one as ragdoll.

Hm, yeah I checked the LQD script and I the two scripts seem to be the same. I like Obs idea of modifying the def file, hopefully that's as straightforward as it sounds.

Okay! So I think I'm ready for beta testing this weekend if I can squash the remaining bugs I found in my own playthroughs today. How exactly does one set up beta testing on the forums?

-Sun Myung Moon

If you have access to the betatester forum, you can start a new thread there. Otherwise you can start a thread in the TDM Fan Missions thread, where you either ask for testers to which you can pm the link or just upload the file there for anyone to betatest who wants to.

The def thingy doesn't work. Use the script approach.

Okay Obs, I'll report back shortly :-).

Another quick question: right now the default behavior for AI is that if they get alerted they pull out their weapon, and even after they resume their patrol their weapon is still out (using a diff animation). How can I get the AI to put their weapon away and return to their normal walking animation after they cooldown from their alert?

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Another quick question: right now the default behavior for AI is that if they get alerted they pull out their weapon, and even after they resume their patrol their weapon is still out (using a diff animation, and in 2.0 at a different walking speed). How can I get the AI to put their weapon away and return to their normal walking animation after they cooldown from their alert?

disable_alert_idle

This doesn't work in 1.08, but is fixed in 2.00.

Does anyone know what is the difference in func_emitters and TDM light entities?

I mean, if I bind a torch light source onto an AI, it looks fine. Like the LQ in Glenham Tower.

Now, I noticed that if I bind a func_emitter with a custom particle onto an AI, the particles look like they are on speed: they are unstable and look like fast-forwarded. Any ideas how to get a custom particle effect onto an AI?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hm,

I was able to bind a torch light onto an AI without any issues too. Maybe you need to have two entities, one that's bound to the AI and another that's bound to the first entity (and if not via bind then maybe as a def_attach).

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Thanks Grayman, I'll set that spawnarg to 1.

Just for posterity, I figured out 3 of the questions I posted:

1) By setting the "undead" spawnarg to 1, AI are affected by holy water.

2) The reason arrows pass through see-through AI is because of the keyword 'transparent' in their material definition. I'm guessing that was to allow arrows to fly through things like cobwebs. There's not much way of avoiding this issue.

3) I finally got the death script to work by taking Sotha's from LQD and erasing things until I got what I wanted. It turns out the issue is that you need to wait around 1 second after the death script starts before you turn the AI non-frobable. I guess this is because the system is still swapping out the AI and the ragdoll. The final script was:

void NotFrob(entity e)

{

sys.wait(1);

e.setFrobable(0);

}

void NonFrobGhostCorpse(entity e)

{

thread NotFrob(e);

}

-Sun Myung Moon

Does anyone know what is the difference in func_emitters and TDM light entities?

I mean, if I bind a torch light source onto an AI, it looks fine. Like the LQ in Glenham Tower.

Now, I noticed that if I bind a func_emitter with a custom particle onto an AI, the particles look like they are on speed: they are unstable and look like fast-forwarded. Any ideas how to get a custom particle effect onto an AI?

I've experienced that, too. I think you can use func_statics to emit particles either. So bind a func_static to the ai and set its model to the desired particle should work as well. Or create a def using the particle as model and use def_attach.

Does anyone know how you change the value of a spawn arg using a trigger?

I thought I once saw something in the entities list describing that but I can't seem to find it again.

Thanks in advance!

edit:

Or perhaps there is an easier solution to what i'm trying to do. I'm trying to push a door in two different directions one after the other.

So it's like this

W = Wall

D = Door

WW D WW

| D |

-> D

----> D

So the door moves down and then left. I figured I need to just use a trigger which waits and then at the right time changes the translate/rotate properties however I don't know if thats the best way.

Edited by Goldwell

You can use a multistate mover for that purpose.

And the entity you search for is target_setkeyval. It can be found at the end of the entity list (not in any of the subfolders).

• Like 1

You can use a multistate mover for that purpose.

And the entity you search for is target_setkeyval. It can be found at the end of the entity list (not in any of the subfolders).

Thank you very much Obs! :)

And the second problem arrives.. how the hell does this thing work?

I can see many hours going down the drain trying to figure it out.