The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Yes, as far as I know the editor image and the in game image are independent and one can work regardless of the other. The same applies for the specular and normals, each can work or not independently of the other. Its most likely the pathing that is wrong on some of its instances inside the material file, or maybe the texture image has an invalid format. You could try resaving it in a color format that is normally used in Doom3 (forgot the stats).

Edited by RPGista

Is it possible to have glass which is actually clear but you are still able to tell that glass is there?

I have gone through most of the glass textures but for what I need it doesn't suit. Even just the clear glass looks bad (for what i'm using it for) I just need something really clear.

Does that texture exist? or is there a method to it?

Convert the glasses to func_static and add the spawnarg _color. Then choose a color (maybe grey if you don't want it to be *colored*) and set it to a low brightness.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Convert the glasses to func_static and add the spawnarg _color. Then choose a color (maybe grey if you don't want it to be *colored*) and set it to a low brightness.

That's a step in the right direction but the glass still isn't clear. It looks all weird still, I just need basically clear glass with pretty much nothing on it. Same glass as you see in your window at home for example

Choose a glass texture and make a copy of it's shader. Remove the part handling reflection. Maybe this serves as you wish it.

I'm not a houndret percent sure what you are aiming for, though, as I think that glass clear for example looks rather *glassy*.

EDIT: Try this one:

textures/darkmod/glass/clear_new
{
    // Written by Tels, mainly based on
   // http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

noSelfShadow
   noshadows
   twoSided
   translucent
   forceoverlays
   sort decal
   glass
   qer_editorimage    textures/darkmod/glass/clear_ed

description "A reflecting, translucent material suited for large, flat glass panes"

// this stage sets up the alpha mask (it doesnt render anything)
   // we use another glass texture for the alpha map, so that the reflection
   // shows more clearly and different from what the alpha map of our glass
   // says, that makes it more interesting 
       // add our texture on top
   {
       blend   gl_dst_color, gl_one
       map    textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
       red	 Parm0 * 0.2
       green   Parm1 * 0.2
       blue    Parm2 * 0.2
   }

// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
   {
       if ( parm11 > 0 )
           blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
           map		 _white
           rgb		 0.40 * parm11
      }
   {
       if ( parm11 > 0 )
           blend	   add
           map		 textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
           rgb		 0.15 * parm11
   }

}

<snip>

Thanks for the answer! What you said at the start of your post clicked in my head and then I only set one side of the brush to the glass and everything looked way better. I guess because I applied the glass to all sides it was looking bad. oops!

But now I have a problem with clouds and controlling their speed. With the texture textures/darkmod/nature/skybox/starry1/clouds how do you control its speed? I tried applying shaderparm4-7 at speed 0.5 but it doesn't really seem to do much

Edited by TylerVocal

Use a prefab. Material parameters can only be applied on entities like func_static, not on worldspawn.

With prefab/nature/skyboxes/tdm_sky_starry_1 you get a prefab using said texture for the sky. The shaderParms are already applied, they are shaderParm4 and shaderParm5. You can change these values to adjust the speed.

Just looked into the shader definitin and I was wrong, the speed is controlled via shaderParm3. 4 and 5 are used for the translation speed of the stars.

I'm trying to fix the tdm water in Heart because it lost its water properties: splash etc. This is in Dark Mod 2.0. Tried lots of things and dmpapping on every try without success. Changed depth, removed all worldspawn that was intruding into the water. Split water entity into 4 separate entities. No luck. Finally changed sides and bottom from nodraw to caulk. Voila - it works. But why? Anybody else using working water with nodraw?

I haven't noticed any problems with water recently...it was splashing quite recently in my testmap.

What were you testing with?

It's in Heart of Lone Salvation - the link in the dev thread somewhere (see below.) It's the shallow water in the room before where the Heart is. There is no splash effect and wading through produces the walking on stone sound.

This is the thread. The link is a few posts down from the start:

http://forums.thedar...lvation-fidcal/

It's in Heart of Lone Salvation - the link in the dev thread somewhere (see below.) It's the shallow water in the room before where the Heart is. There is no splash effect and wading through produces the walking on stone sound.

I noticed that during testing, but it happened in 1.08 as well.

edit: I think I tested in 1.08, but reading my previous comment I'm not sure:

Two other things that I'm not sure are 2.0 related:

1. In the area just outside the

overgrown jungle room that the heart is in, there is half a foot of water on the floor. Objects splash and make a sound, but the player footsteps are just regular stone ones.

Is there a way to change the ambient music in a section that's been set up using the location system? What I'd like to do is have different ambient tracks play before and after a specific event. Since I've set up my ambient tracks via locations, I'm not sure how to do this...

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Is there a way to change the ambient music in a section that's been set up using the location system? What I'd like to do is have different ambient tracks play before and after a specific event. Since I've set up my ambient tracks via locations, I'm not sure how to do this...

Isn't there an entity (trigger I believe) which allows you to change spawnargs of other entities? I remember seeing something like that (cant remember the exact name) and you could use that to trigger once the change of scenery happens to change the song which I guess would change it.

I haven't tried that before but thats my educated guess

Edited by TylerVocal

The scriptobject reads in the "ambient" spawnarg on every update. So if you define another ambient sound on the info_locationsettings entity the sound played should change once you change the ambient spawnarg on the specific zone.

For this purpose, let your trigger target a target_setkeyval(can be found add the end of the entity list) and let this target the info_location entity belonging to the zone the player is in. Set "keyval" "ambient;new_ambient_name" on the target_setkeyval entity, where new_ambient_name gives the name of the new ambient to be played defined on the info_locationsettings entity.

Hey Obs,

I can't find the 'target_setkeyval' entity anywhere, do you know which entity category it's under? The closest I can find is 'effect_set_spawnarg' (which is one of the entities used in the Stim/Response system).

@Tyler, yeah that was my first thought too, but when I used the Stim/Response system to try and change the value of the spawnarg on the info_location entity it didn't work. Stim/Response can be oddly finnicky at times.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

create entity -> target_setkeyval. It's not in any subfolder. Just scroll down to the end of the list.

Ah, I'm using 1.8 and that entity is sitting in the "base" folder (i.e. it's a Doom 3 entity). Is that going to be ported over to 2.0?

I'm still having issues getting it to work though. Here is how I've set it up. On the atdm:location_settings I have two spawnargs: "snd_before" and "snd_after" both linked to the proper sound files.

On the info_location, I have the spawnarg: "ambient snd_before".

I have a target_setkeyval entity, with the following two spawnargs: "keyval ambient;snd_after" and "target info_location1". I then have a switch which triggers the target_setkeyval. When I flip the switch, the music stays the same.

-Sun Myung Moon

I will test it. That the ambient can be changed this way is something I have guessed from the script the location system uses. Maybe I'm wrong.

The base folder doesn't exist anymore in 2.0. But as the name of the entity should be the same, it should work anyways.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have 2 ambient sounds to play for same area, with the use of "atdm:location_settings"? Can't find anything on the wiki about it.

Simultaneously? No.

If not simultaneously, see moonbo's and Obs' comments preceding yours.