The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

@STRUNK alternatively you can create a new filter for speakers: let it "hide" anything with the "classname" "speaker". Also, when you say green blob do you mean the little green box, or the big sphere showing its radius? If it's the latter you might accidentally have toggled on a button for showing speaker volumes, the button is at the top of DR's window.

Two more essential puzzles to add, put these last two puzzles are driving me crazy.

I have a puzzle that requires the player to collect four items (Ritual Hammers). The items shall later be placed somewhere via S/R. (However, that's not the issue.)

I have created four items as defined below:

grafik.png.048b280c731c37ea56ed431c32989a58.png

Note: I have created for each moveable a separate model (thus the numbers) and I have saved for every separate model a CM in the models folder.

Result:

When I collect all four items (without further interaction), then everything looks ok:

grafik.png.b1e0404f05a8cf808ebf0109d29bdb27.png

Four ritual hammers in the inventory. Great.

The problem is: If I collect more than one Hammer and press "R" for removal, I receive the following game error:

IDMoveable "IDMoveable_atdm:moveable_custom_Item_190x": cannot load collision model. -"  ("x" is a differing parameter)

How can that be? Please note: If I collect only one random hammer and press "R", everything works ok and I can drop the item.

Jack

Edited by JackFarmer

Just guessing here, but maybe there's a conflict because the hammers are stackable, but each uses a different model. Maybe the code can't handle that situation?

Possible workaround: make them non-stackable. You'll get separate items in your inventory. Does that avoid the problem? You might have to use different inventory names (Ritual Hammer 1, Ritual Hammer 2, etc). Maybe not an optimal solution.

Is the reason you created four models that the hammers all look different?

6 hours ago, joebarnin said:

Just guessing here, but maybe there's a conflict because the hammers are stackable, but each uses a different model. Maybe the code can't handle that situation?

Possible workaround: make them non-stackable. You'll get separate items in your inventory. Does that avoid the problem? You might have to use different inventory names (Ritual Hammer 1, Ritual Hammer 2, etc). Maybe not an optimal solution.

Is the reason you created four models that the hammers all look different?

Yes, you are right; giving it differing names (Hammer 1, Hammer 2, etc.) works, but it looks so uncool, as you have now identical objects displayed separately in the inventory.

The hammers are all identical.

The reason why I added four models was, that I thought the problem is, that I only have one model and the code searches for additional cm files. That's (of course) not very logical. however, it made no difference anyway.

Hm....

Edit:

This was the original setup (used four times), but it did not work:

grafik.png.6cb820084d3fd6d33268c90e061da829.png

Edited by JackFarmer

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

The hammers are all identical.

One solution would be to make each hammer unique. One could be fancy with golden elements, one could be a worn old hammer, another could be a warhammer. Would fit in with the religious theme, too (i.e. how the true holy grail in Indiana Jones was just a wooden cup while all the fancy gold ones were death-bringing fakes).

1 hour ago, Dragofer said:

One solution would be to make each hammer unique. One could be fancy with golden elements, one could be a worn old hammer, another could be a warhammer. Would fit in with the religious theme, too (i.e. how the true holy grail in Indiana Jones was just a wooden cup while all the fancy gold ones were death-bringing fakes).

Yeah, I know what you mean. The problem is, I have already several other puzzles with such naming conventions in the mission and I do not want to overdo it. Plus, I simply do not want more of those artefacts with adventerous names needing readables to explain their origin. :)

Thus, I will go with joe`s suggestion. It is not the most elegant solution, but it works.

The problem sounds weird, though. Surely TDM doesn't crash if you drop one of several stackable keys? If the problem exists with stock inventory items it's worth a bug report.

20 minutes ago, joebarnin said:

I just tried it, and that works fine.

I just saw that keys have the collision mesh inside their model. It could be that the crash has something to do with the fact that the hammers' collision meshes are stored as separate files - I've never had good experiences with that system.

The Clipmodel page on the wiki even says they should be in a single file.

@JackFarmer if you send me your hammer model I can add a collision mesh to it.

At a glance, I'm afraid you might be out of luck. I suppose you could try using hide/show to swap it with a func_static, though that might look bad if the player can see it at the time. Or replicate the bobbing behaviour with some other kind of binary mover.

• Thanks 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

@JackFarmer

I mimicked a func_bobbing with the experimental func_mover_dragofer and it works if not set to interuptable: so the up or down movement always completes after shutting it off.

It's essentially what you could do with a sliding door, but with this func_mover you can set acc- decelleration time, so it looks like a func bobbing. It is triggerd by a trigger_timer, set to 0.1 sec longer then the move time of the func_mover, so it keeps bobbing when the trigger_timer is activated. Deactivate the trigger_timer and the bobbing stops.

https://streamable.com/7onrf

Bobbing.pk4

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 1