296 replies to this topic

#276 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

POPULAR

Okay my boys, time to dig out the old thread and share some of the models I had lying around, thought I should get them out finally. 

Im releasing the medical tools I started modeling a while ago. Its a varied set:

4 kinds of needles;

2 operating hooks;

1 (ice)pick;

1 saw;

2 scalpels;

3 scissors.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to make them moveable entities. They all possess a collision box, however, so it should be simple enough, I just cant get it to work for some reason, something is missing in my defs or pathing and I cant really remember how to set it up correctly. So Im only releasing the fixed models version. They are all ready for being included in maps. 

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2o55we

testingmap_2017-05-19_20.55.34.jpg

testingmap_2017-05-19_20.56.19.jpg

testingmap_2017-05-19_20.56.26.jpg

testingmap_2017-05-19_20.58.11.jpg

Edited by RPGista, 20 May 2017 - 10:47 AM.

• Bikerdude, HMart, Dragofer and 9 others like this

#277 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36408 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

Looks like beautiful work!

#278 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

Ooo those med tools are beautiful

Edited by NeonsStyle, 20 May 2017 - 09:10 AM.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#279 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5214 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

They look great!
A mapper can set any model up as a moveable, so don't worry about that.
  • Anderson likes this
Posted Image

#280 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Thanks guys! And demagogue, thats great!

• Anderson likes this

#281 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

POPULAR

I wanted to create some models that go a bit more in depth into the pagan culture and heritage. I thought about working on things that could make up for sacred shrines, scenes you would find in a clearing inside an old forest, or deep inside pagan country. A place marking where an ancient artifact was buried, or where you need to leave that amulet and summon the earth spirits, stuff like that. Im starting with a menir, this one has an engraving on it, just to make it extra clear this is something man made, but I should also provide one or two more variations with just the naked stone and slightly different texturing, if you want to make a circle, or group them. Im working on a dolmen as well. Things you can use to create sort of blessed, cerimonial grounds.

testingmap_2017-05-20_20.23.05.jpg

testingmap_2017-05-20_20.23.19.jpg

testingmap_2017-05-20_20.25.59.jpg

• Springheel, Melan, duzenko and 8 others like this

#282 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

POPULAR

testingmap_2017-06-10_23.38.47.jpg

Ok, so I tweaked the menir a bit, I thought I should just realease it and work on others later. Its 50% taller now, I thought it needed to be a bit more monumental. The texture is slightly darker. It has a low poly shadow mesh in there.

If the builders get a hold of this thing they will probably just take it down or carve a hammer on it and call it theirs from then on. 

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fzdhu5

PS: I might darken the specular a little more and re-upload the model. But anyone can change the textures, its inside the the file, in the props folder. Just edit the tga images and the model will be refreshed next time you play the map.

Edited by RPGista, 10 June 2017 - 09:57 PM.

• Melan, nbohr1more, Goldwell and 3 others like this

#283 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5151 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

Nice work.

If the builders get a hold of this thing they will probably just take it down or carve a hammer on it and call it theirs from then on.

They would probably just crush it. ;) Makes me think that it would be nice to have broken versions of those (if it isn't too much work).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#284 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Thanks my friend. Actually thats a pretty good idea, Ive been meaning to learn arcturus' tutorial on fracturing models, would be a good excuse to finally do it. Will work on it.
  • Obsttorte, Goldwell and Anderson like this

#285 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Okay my boys, time to dig out the old thread and share some of the models I had lying around, thought I should get them out finally. 
Im releasing the medical tools I started modeling a while ago. Its a varied set:

4 kinds of needles;
2 operating hooks;
1 (ice)pick;
1 saw;
2 scalpels;
3 scissors.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to make them moveable entities. They all possess a collision box, however, so it should be simple enough, I just cant get it to work for some reason, something is missing in my defs or pathing and I cant really remember how to set it up correctly. So Im only releasing the fixed models version. They are all ready for being included in maps. 

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2o55we

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.55.34.jpg

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.56.19.jpg

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.56.26.jpg

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.58.11.jpg

They look very nice indeed.

About movables, are you sure the def file is well formatted? Does the dynamic physics hull has less then 16 polys? Is a requirement, btw imo is a really bad limitation from the physics engine.

#286 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

Thanks man. As for the moveables, I simply wasnt getting them to appear on DR, so there was something broken with my setup. I used the warhammer model I had done before as reference, but something was off, and I had no patience to look into it any further. Demagogue reminded me a mapper can turn any model into a moveable entity inside DR though, so that takes care of it (I did that myself in my own mission with a wood box, many moons ago). They do have collision boxes, simple 6 sided boxes, so it isnt that. 

Edited by RPGista, 13 June 2017 - 09:25 PM.

#287 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Oooo really feeling those stones. I can just see a clearing through the trees at night, mushroom lights, with some fireflies flying around, lots of birds and 

forest sounds. 

• RPGista likes this

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#288 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

About movables, are you sure the def file is well formatted? Does the dynamic physics hull has less then 16 polys? Is a requirement, btw imo is a really bad limitation from the physics engine.

@The team, is there any reason why these arent part of the core mod...?

• RPGista likes this

#289 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36408 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

They are.

• RPGista likes this

#290 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

They are.

2.05 or to be released in 2.06?

#291 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

They are.

Yay!

PS: Any adjustments you guys feel is needed, just let me know.

Edited by RPGista, 16 June 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#292 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36408 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

2.05 or to be released in 2.06?

The models were only released a month ago.

#293 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Thanks man. As for the moveables, I simply wasnt getting them to appear on DR, so there was something broken with my setup. I used the warhammer model I had done before as reference, but something was off, and I had no patience to look into it any further. Demagogue reminded me a mapper can turn any model into a moveable entity inside DR though, so that takes care of it (I did that myself in my own mission with a wood box, many moons ago). They do have collision boxes, simple 6 sided boxes, so it isnt that. 

I never made a movable using DR I did it on Modo (my 3D tool of choice), bellow is what i did that worked, I'm sure being a 3D modeler your self (and a very good one) you know all of this but perhaps you forgot something.

MODO side:

1 - Made a collision hull around the object, trying to be as faithful to the object shape the most i could, without going above 16 triangles (you can go above, i went as far as 24 triangles but it will crash the game eventually, afaik idsoftware never went above 16 triangles on all its movables collision hulls).

2 - assign the green collision material to this collision hull.

3 -  Make sure the collision hull (shadow mesh, etc) makes part of the original model layer (idtech 4 requires the model to be a single layer object)

5 - triangulate the model, make sure the object transforms/origin is at 0 0 0 and export to the engine ( in my case Modo only supports .lwo ).

idTech 4 side:

write a entityDef something like the one bellow, put it into a map and enjoy.

entityDef moveable_furniture_chair_thin01 {
	"inherit"					"moveable_base_fixed"
	"model"						"models/furniture/furniture_chair_thin01.lwo"
	"density"					"0.01"
	"friction"					"0.2"
	"bouncyness"				        "0.3"
}

And that is that is not complicated at all. 

Edited by HMart, 16 June 2017 - 09:23 PM.

• RPGista likes this

#294 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I remember doing something like that, was even trying to bring in stuff from other moveables like the saw and kitchen stuff (impact sound and the like)... Dont worry my friend, its just my slow, weary mind, its not that the process is that difficult or anything. I would though cynically invite you to team up with me and writte those defs if you want, the files are just there for you to grab and re-release, if you find the time. ;)

Right now Im working on that dolmen model, and some more forest assets for the mod.

Edited by RPGista, 17 June 2017 - 10:08 AM.

#295 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

The models were only released a month ago.

I could have worn they were made last year, 2.06 it is then <_<

#296 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

POPULAR

So work continues on those forest assets and the stone age dolmen. But Im going to feature them on a new concept map Im working on, so they should still take a while. It started as a scene I wanted to create so as to show them off in a cool environment, and the idea grew and grew. Its getting smaller and smaller again, because of the lack of time and the amount of effort.

Parallel to it, I was looking into learning more about animation. As in a couple of times before, I tried to see if I could change the study material a little bit so I could come up with something useful for us by the end of it. I was looking into a fixed animated prop first, but I couldnt really find anything that I felt like doing/was worth the effort. So I (unwisely) jumped straight to character animation, which I had flirted with at the time TDM needed a new zombie model (greebo beat me to it). So, I thought "you know what would be cool? A simple, robotic character that wont be out of my reach to animate". Because of all the potential for dark sciences and unholy stuff going on in the game, I felt that a Golem would fit in pretty well in the setting. Something of a horror monster, unstoppable killing machine the player simply cant beat in any way other than to avoid. Im not a fan of over the top stone golems you see in most games, those hulking figures. I prefered a minimalistic aproach and went for a realistic, classically inspired statue, that would be a normal piece of art until someone decided to give it magical life. Alternatively, it could be a dormant magical protector of something sacred and valuable, inside a forgotten tomb somewhere, like in many games and stories. It was based on a 3D scanned statue of Mars (who could be more appropriate?). 

It was supposed to be a surprise, I would just release the full character. But since Im hitting tons of roadblocks, I thought I should simply post the progress here and let those into animation and character AI know that Im working on this and will probably need a lot of help getting this thing in TDM (damn you tdm, stealing my free time).

The ASE is in the game but the texture sucks, so Im posting blender viewport shots. 

statue02.jpg

statue04.jpg

statue05.jpg

statue06.jpg

Right now Im working on the animations, trying to block them. Since this guy is pure stone, there shouldnt be any ragdoll stuff. He's big, so no point trying to use arcturus rig (wouldnt know where to begin anyway, its really complex). Hopefully the rigify rig will be usable in the game, its the one Im learning to use. Fingers crossed.

• Bikerdude, Sotha, Dragofer and 5 others like this

#297 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36408 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Cool idea!  We are definitely lacking good statues, so even the unanimated model would be useful.  If you can turn it into a working character, so much the better!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users