140 replies to this topic

#126 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thank you. I'm just hoping it will run on majority of computers. I have a 980 ti and I don't have any performance dips just yet.

I have the same card so I know how hard it can be to make sure the map is running optimal because it can handle pretty much anything, but there is a way to check the performance of a scene in numbers.

While ingame open the console and enter "r_showprimitives 1" then check what the "draws" and "shdw" count is, to turn it off just change the 1 at the end to a 0, plus you'll need to walk to an area and then open the console as I don't know how to get it running permanently.

As a general rule of thumb I try to keep my draws around the 2000 mark (with a max of about 4000-5000) and try to keep the shadows at the 80,000 mark  (with a maximum of about 100,000). That at least helps to diagnose the performance of a scene a bit until beta testing starts of course.

The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#127 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36413 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

And if you're not already using LOD versions of those modules, many exist.  That can also help with performance quite a bit for longer views.

• Johannes Burock, Anderson, refl3ks and 1 other like this

#128 refl3ks

refl3ks

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

I have the same card so I know how hard it can be to make sure the map is running optimal because it can handle pretty much anything, but there is a way to check the performance of a scene in numbers.

While ingame open the console and enter "r_showprimitives 1" then check what the "draws" and "shdw" count is, to turn it off just change the 1 at the end to a 0, plus you'll need to walk to an area and then open the console as I don't know how to get it running permanently.

As a general rule of thumb I try to keep my draws around the 2000 mark (with a max of about 4000-5000) and try to keep the shadows at the 80,000 mark  (with a maximum of about 100,000). That at least helps to diagnose the performance of a scene a bit until beta testing starts of course.

I have 3 areas that reach 7000-7500 draw. Shadows are an average between 130,000 - 180,000. How can I get that down?

And if you're not already using LOD versions of those modules, many exist.  That can also help with performance quite a bit for longer views.

I am using your LOD versions, they help immensely!

Edited by refl3ks, 04 June 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#129 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36413 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

I have 3 areas that reach 7000-7500 draw. Shadows are an average between 130,000 - 180,000. How can I get that down?

Visportals are your first line of attack.  I find this a very useful video on how best to place them: 

Secondly, you can look for models that can be set to "noshadows" "1".  Lots of models in corners, or walls high up that can't be hit by any lights, don't need to have shadowcasting on. 

Complex models can be set to noshadows and you can make a simple brush out of common/texture/shadow to go inside.

You can also put a "hide_distance" on models that can't be directly seen by the player beyond a certain distance.  That's explained in the video I posted in the last message.

And if you run into difficulty beyond that, I'd be happy to take a look at the map for you and offer suggestions.

• NeonsStyle and CarltonTroisi like this

#130 refl3ks

refl3ks

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

Visportals are your first line of attack.  I find this a very useful video on how best to place them: 

Secondly, you can look for models that can be set to "noshadows" "1".  Lots of models in corners, or walls high up that can't be hit by any lights, don't need to have shadowcasting on. 

Complex models can be set to noshadows and you can make a simple brush out of common/texture/shadow to go inside.

You can also put a "hide_distance" on models that can't be directly seen by the player beyond a certain distance.  That's explained in the video I posted in the last message.

And if you run into difficulty beyond that, I'd be happy to take a look at the map for you and offer suggestions.

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at it! I've never had my maps properly critiqued. I need to know if I'm going in the right direction.

Edited by refl3ks, 04 June 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#131 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36413 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Feel free to PM me the details.

#132 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5155 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Regarding the fog you could also create lod versions of them. So that at a distance they use a different particle with a lower particle count (but probably bigger ones to get a similar effect).

Visportals are something you have to think about before starting to map, so it might not be that beneficial at your current state of progress. I think shadowcasting (both on lights and entities) can be controlled via lod, too, so people with low end rigs can get a performance boost by lowering the lod settings.

Once you add ai to the level it can also be of help to use interleaved thinking. This is helpful if you are planning to use a lot of ai. SEED is an additional way to improve performance, see the respective wiki articles.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#133 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18643 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

here is the latest shot with the recommended light sprite.

Regarding the fog thats blowing people away, is that the fog from The Gatehouse? if so its nice to see it getting used so creatively.

As a general rule of thumb I try to keep my draws around the 2000 mark

The old Doom3 max was 1500, for TDM that has been raised that to 3000. If for example a scene is complex but you have already done a few perf passes and the DC never really gets above 3k - call it done.

#134 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36413 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

You can easily get up to 4000 or even higher.  Draw calls are not the real culprit, it's shadow tris.  <80,000 is the ideal there.

#135 refl3ks

refl3ks

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

@bikerdude I'm not sure, I was just scrolling through effects until I found what I was looking for. I will send you the name when I get home.

#136 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18643 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

@bikerdude I'm not sure, I was just scrolling through effects until I found what I was looking for. I will send you the name when I get home.

Im fairly sure its the one/s used in The Gatehouse that then got added to the mod after.

In any event its nice to see them being used, for a new mapper your work is extremely impressive. Your showing us old mappers new ways of doing stuff.

#137 refl3ks

refl3ks

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Im fairly sure its the one/s used in The Gatehouse that then got added to the mod after.

In any event its nice to see them being used, for a new mapper your work is extremely impressive. Your showing us old mappers new ways of doing stuff.

Thank you, means a lot  ^_^

It's tdm_fog_overcast.prt

#138 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

POPULAR

Here are some screenshots from a little rooftop section i'm currently working on, it makes heavy use of your modules Springheel. Also after seeing how great your screenshots looked refl3ks I decided to add in some fog :D

5GV5vb5.jpg

NfbYb8w.jpg

QZhdmMG.jpg

NlsaQIF.jpg

• Springheel, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 8 others like this
The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#139 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5759 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Wow, very Thief 4 vibe which isn't a bad thing at all.

Looks great, hope it works out!

• Goldwell likes this

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#140 refl3ks

refl3ks

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

Here are some screenshots from a little rooftop section i'm currently working on, it makes heavy use of your modules Springheel. Also after seeing how great your screenshots looked refl3ks I decided to add in some fog :D

Glad I could be of help  ^_^

Love that atmosphere.

• Goldwell and CarltonTroisi like this

#141 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

@refl3ks, Looking at those screenies, you should make that a full map, it looks awesome. Love the aesthetics. :)

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users