• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#176 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Quality of the models is amazing, fantastic work as always Epi. I think people are finding it harder to see them blending in game because they are in their gray form, but when fully textured Im sure they would fit right in, specially considering how good a texturer Epi is. Glad you beat me to it. I particularly like the second one, even though the first is awesome and a lot more complex. Its just that Im a minimalist. Like simple designs more.

Edited by RPGista, 19 October 2017 - 09:22 AM.

• Epifire likes this

#177 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

POPULAR

Quality of the models is amazing, fantastic work as always Epi. I think people are finding it harder to see them blending in game because they are in their gray form, but when fully textured Im sure they would fit right in, specially considering how good a texturer Epi is. Glad you beat me to it. I particularly like the second one, even though the first is awesome and a lot more complex. Its just that Im a minimalist. Like simple designs more.

Thankyou! Hopefully I'll be making money doing this at a studio someday (or so the plan is). Now the goal with the two variants is that we could get some hard thematic differences for those who wanted it. Technology cult on one side and another smooth simplistic/practical design that would fit in a rich mansion. I could even reuse the same eyepiece/spotlight in the material and combine it as a set. You are indeed right about grey shading with the highpoly, cause once these get textured they take on a whole new look. 

For those wondering what material detailing I had in mind for the, "head on a swivel" I'd planned on using the same surface look I did for the clawed footsies of my safe models...

MeI3gFy.jpg

Maybe some various light shades of surface rust to change it up on the broad portions of the face. I really did like how the metal looked for the safe so I thought I'd do it up like that. On the other hand I wanted to do mostly clean and smooth brass/steel look for the other variant. So like I said, the plan is some really hard thematic differences for wide usage. One other thing is, I'd planned on doing a single channel mask for the lights and lens glow. I thought glowing lens' would look cooler and show off the active mode the best. The other thing is this gives full range for people to change the color via custom rgb lines in the mtr.  B)

• Springheel, Bikerdude, nbohr1more and 4 others like this

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#178 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19664 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:51 AM

That safe looks stunning Epi!

#179 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:04 AM

These legs look great, although the worn-out paint on the safe is a bit too much ;)

#180 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19664 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

although the worn-out paint on the safe is a bit too much 

I like it, but yes maybe a little to AAA for tdm? only in that all of our textures/resources arent as comprehensive/nice as the ones used on that safe.

#181 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

I thought more about the use of brush on the texture. There's either paint or bare polished metal. I had similar problem with my power generator, and in the end I used a bit more subtle approach. Then again, I spent way too much time on textures/materials for such a background prop as this one:

https://skfb.ly/69ESU

Clipboard03.jpg

• Bikerdude, Obsttorte, Anderson and 1 other like this

#182 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19664 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Another DIshonoured looking/inspired model = nice.

#183 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:49 PM

I'd say it's just a difference in artistic design honestly. I'd seen plenty of references with that kind of wear and most of TDM features a lot of grunge, so it felt appropriate to go a little further with the wear. If anything now I'd maybe use a secondary mask to refine the wear buildup (more likely points of contact ect). Other than that I don't think there's anything wrong with the definition.

• Springheel likes this

#184 Soul Tear

Soul Tear

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

POPULAR

My first attempt at working with folds.
Any criticism is welcomed. However, this object is already finished, but next time I will try to improve the result.

N8OpfH8.jpg
1EQyeVo.jpg

• Bikerdude, grayman, nbohr1more and 4 others like this

#185 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36900 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

Looks good to me!

• Bikerdude likes this

#186 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19664 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

Looks good to me!

+1

Any criticism is welcomed. However, this object is already finished, but next time I will try to improve the result

Just try to limit the amount of polys used on the potatoes or what ever produce is in the sack opening.

Edited by Bikerdude, 30 December 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#187 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:01 AM

Soul Tear, I think the definition is solid. If anything just make sure those material references are set to noshadows and just make a rough shadowmesh to match the form of the bag itself. As then you can go hogwild on the polys to get as much normal definition as needed without destroying the shadow budget.

On a totally random note I forgot I hadn't finished that security camera. Welp looks like I'm leaving myself a note to remember that on my days off.

• Bikerdude likes this

#188 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5478 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:56 AM

Looks nice. One or more low poly versions would be good to be setup as LOD.

• Bikerdude likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#189 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

POPULAR

There's one catch to the head swivel cam, and that is that it's gears gotta rely on some feedback from the camera panning to rotate back and forth. If we're being realistic that is. Anywho, a quick photo in Substance Painter to see that grungy metal I'mma goin for...

0b5ec5a5307b34e20fa23d8ca1fcbfb0.png

EDIT: Here's an in-game shot to show the scale a bit more. @Grayman if you need the camera to be bigger let me know, otherwise I can send this stuff off to you whenever you like. Also I can make a simple mask for the right eyepiece to get the spotlight skin functional. I've been considering what to do for a damaged model. Are you wanting a skin for that or just a mesh toggle for the head? A mesh toggle would be much less for the file size as I could just vertex paint some basic scorching in, which I'm sure would do the job.

L4phevN.jpg

• Bikerdude, HMart, grayman and 5 others like this

#190 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2331 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

Looks fantastic! Very creepy looking too.

The Accountant Trilogy
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#191 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5478 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

It's a bit big, isn't it? And the suspension feels a bit overproportional to me.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#192 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19664 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

It's a bit big, isn't it? And the suspension feels a bit overproportional to me.

As fantastic as it is, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe reduce the size by 25% - that said how far away from the camera is it? its directly above the sofa..? or closer to the camera.

#193 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Oh that was a little closer to show more of the material details. The actual size is roughly about that of an actual head model. 

92b86e59ee721ccc7747b8b751061ce7.png

Some things are cast in larger scale (for the supports and pivots) because of how much heavier these components would be over a modern day camera. With an outer casing that's forged, not to mention bulky wireless transmitters I'd imagine just the head alone would be very dense and heavy by itself. I'm not sure what I want to do on the other camera yet, as some things really don't mesh well in the round design approach. Though very archaic this camera rolled off from the early design and ideas pretty easily.

• Bikerdude and Anderson like this

#194 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19664 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

Ah thats better ^_^

#195 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12285 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

There's one catch to the head swivel cam, and that is that its gears gotta rely on some feedback from the camera panning to rotate back and forth.

Oh boy: gear manipulation. Send me what you have and I'll look at it.

@Grayman if you need the camera to be bigger let me know, otherwise I can send this stuff off to you whenever you like. Also I can make a simple mask for the right eyepiece to get the spotlight skin functional. I've been considering what to do for a damaged model. Are you wanting a skin for that or just a mesh toggle for the head? A mesh toggle would be much less for the file size as I could just vertex paint some basic scorching in, which I'm sure would do the job.

If I can get this working, I'll include it in 2.06 and the Remote Camera wiki. If I can't, it'll have to wait for 2.07, when I can find more time to get it working.

As for damage, a skin change would be fine.

#196 Soul Tear

Soul Tear

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Looks good to me!

+1

Just try to limit the amount of polys used on the potatoes or what ever produce is in the sack opening.

Thanks! Basically there are halfs of potatoes (20 polys).

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Edited by Soul Tear, 06 January 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#197 Soul Tear

Soul Tear

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Soul Tear, I think the definition is solid. If anything just make sure those material references are set to noshadows and just make a rough shadowmesh to match the form of the bag itself. As then you can go hogwild on the polys to get as much normal definition as needed without destroying the shadow budget.

On a totally random note I forgot I hadn't finished that security camera. Welp looks like I'm leaving myself a note to remember that on my days off.

Damn, I'm not sure I understand this, but the shadow mesh is included.

Do you make these models for your fm?

Edited by Soul Tear, 06 January 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#198 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Damn, I'm not sure I understand this, but the shadow mesh is included.

Mainly emphasizing that you make sure the main detail body of your mesh is set to noshadows in the material. I don't actually make shadow meshes near as often as I used to but I have forgotten to make the main material noshadows on several instances. Because yeah if you leave both rendering shadows, it defeats the purpose of the shadow mesh since the lighting pass will render both.

Do you make these models for your fm?

Well not exclusively but I may end up using the camera if it fits the context of my current mission. I do model near all of my level assets from scratch (and generate textures from Substance Painter) but I take requests on the occasion.

#199 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:03 AM

Mainly emphasizing that you make sure the main detail body of your mesh is set to noshadows in the material. I don't actually make shadow meshes near as often as I used to but I have forgotten to make the main material noshadows on several instances. Because yeah if you leave both rendering shadows, it defeats the purpose of the shadow mesh since the lighting pass will render both.

The same goes for collision mesh. You have to disable collision in your main material, otherwise the model will have 2 overlapping collisions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users