The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Very nice, though isn't it conventional that 'up' equals on for switches?

Not in Europe ;-)

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Not me but Gumdrop from TTLG

thief_portraits.jpg

(oh, lol, it is one image... I said the first and last would be great for us)

Painted these and a few others, the others I didn't feel were a good fit but he's going to get me high res images of these. He also said he'd be willing to do some requests. I said a fair maiden, rich people, tdm related but nothing specific. If anyone has specific requestes that would be good to add to TDM let me know and I'll ask.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yes, very cool, he seems to get real life photos and then paint over them on photoshop? Not that it matters much, but off the top of my head (its been many years) the oonly/earliest painter that would create portraits over a blurry background was Velázquez, he might be a good reference for grumdrop:

pareja.jpg

Pope%20Innocent%20X%20Diego%20Velazquez.jpg

velazquez-don-sebastian.jpg

Looking really good. Those shots show how far TDM has come really. A lot of the early missions were pretty rough and really had that early T2 feel. These have a lot more of the current T2 feel... "I can't believe it's the same engine' thing.

But the first shot is a good example of how TDM can look better than T2 with the ceiling that just can't be done in T2 (sans objects with no/horrible collision and require modelling knowledge, etc..)

if i hear any more plasticy complaints Imma gonna e-murder someone lol

Plasticity! Plasticity! :D

(good job; wish it was for a new mission, though)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Those are some terrific shots Biker! :wub:

I think we're quite lucky that Biker is so inspired by others' works.

Winter Harvest was (perhaps) unfairly given poor marks so a little redemption for the mission is fine (in spite of the unfortunate behavior of the original author... B) )

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thats fantastic Biker, I really like the overall feel of the textures and materials, the little architectural details (as well as the construction elements that give the spaces more expression) and the believable way things are organized. This is a full blown expansion then, I wonder how are you going to stretch the rather minimalistic storyline throughout all those new spaces, with reading material I suppose... Though you do have the means and the talent to add more recorded conversation and narration...

I wonder how are you going to stretch the rather minimalistic storyline throughout all those new spaces, with reading material I suppose... Though you do have the means and the talent to add more recorded conversation and narration...

Im gonna do what I wanted SH to do when i was helping him with it, the new story will be basic roughly on the old one, but just with more details etc so the player knows whats going one and is drawn in etc. I may add some dialogue and as SH is no longer on here I will ask Sotha or one of the other scripting/cinematic geniuses around here to help.

^ Sounds great.

I was working on this yesterday, as an exercise on modeling, its an olive press (dont know the term in english), which might be used to decorate (rural) working areas (which seem to be lacking in TDM). I was wondering wether I should insist on the modeled details for the stone parts (wheels and base), or just round the edges a bit and hope to add the stone cuts and details mostly through future texture work? I might model it anyway for the practise, but I could save a simpler version for texturing. There's still work to be done on the handle and that wood core as well.

post-8474-0-24823200-1331559114_thumb.png

post-8474-0-43250300-1331559139_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPGista

Looks pretty good. I think you could cut down on tris some. The wheels could probably be 20-24 sides max , they are pretty large so you don't want to go too few sides. A beveled edge would be good to keep them round/smooth/worn looking. But the rows in the middle and on the face (the extra cap segment on the far left one) are uneeded.

I'd make the outside stones thicker, might as well put the stone splits in. Pretty large detail, and then you can just use a regular stone material (s)/skins on it and the normals will be the bumps in the stone. I don't think you need a normal map for this object specifically. It doesn't have any minor details to fake other than material noise.

The smaller cylinders in the middle could be cut down a lot and not noticed. And the metal thing smack dab center seems way too high poly.

If you want it to be useable, export the base as one piece. One stone wheel (i assume they are all the same size) with it's center at 0,0,0. And the whole rotating middle handle part as another (centered at 0,0,0). Then it can be combined/scripted.

I can also see the center piece itself being used as a fountain base (with statue or pillar thing in the middle)

Yeah, what Badcog says, if exported in these pieces, you can easily add a new center and some steps (basically just a cylindracl brush buried in the earth) outside, and get a fountain.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Some pretty good info there, thanks! I think I might be able to cut the wheels faces by half manually, but Im not sure this program has an automatic way of changing subdivision levels (only upwards it seems, with smoothing). Anyway, I like the idea of using the base as a tank/fountain, though yes, it would probably need to be a bit more "solid" than that, a bit thicker. Will model the handle a bit, either replace or diminish the wheels polygons, work on those stone pieces...

(11 July 2020 and this looks so funny now. These shots are quite old and much of this scene has changed.)

Continued work on my pagan tree village. Many details yet to be added, but the main work is done. There are no secrets/loot, etc. yet, so no spoilers in these shots... AI are only in temp locations and on team 0 right now.

Gamma upped a bit for screenshot clarity:

shot00166.png

shot00167.pngThat tree on the right needs to go... it shows a black trunk unless you walk up close and turn on the lantern.

Edited by PranQster
new info

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

If you're using either simple or enhanced Ambient, then the texture won't show up if the material file doesn't have the material stages for the bark setup properly. It's a simple matter of adding them in to get it working. Anytime you see a black texture while using simple or enhanced ambient, you can prove whether or not it's a material file issue simply by going into the menu and switching your ambient rendering to 'normal'.

Well, been working on this a bit on the laptop. Modular pillar set. Will have two top and two base options along with some pieces for fallen pillars, etc...

Having a bit of a hard time getting a bake around some of this ionic topper though, tough shape to break down.

post-1981-0-09065100-1331608727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is that a tree model/ If so what's the name? Quite possible just an error in the shader that can be easily fixed (and needs to be)

models/darkmod/nature/trees/eoc_tree_001.ase

If you're using either simple or enhanced Ambient, then the texture won't show up if the material file doesn't have the material stages for the bark setup properly. It's a simple matter of adding them in to get it working. Anytime you see a black texture while using simple or enhanced ambient, you can prove whether or not it's a material file issue simply by going into the menu and switching your ambient rendering to 'normal'.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Never looked for or noticed that option before, but knowing me I came across it and set it to 'enhanced' 'cause that sounds better, lol.

... yes, it was set to enhanced. Will load the map later with ambient rendering set to normal.

That tree's pretty ugly in DR and hopefully will look better in TDM. I used it to have some variety, but will have to remove it if it proves too ugly.

Hmmm... I see the tree now with normal ambient rendering... I think I'll have to replace it. The texture on the trunk and bark is terribly stretched and distorted.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Baddcog: I like that pillar. Would like to see more props like that, too.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved