The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Try changing the "tdm_screenshot_format" cvar to jpg or tga.

Otherwise, try collecting the screen via the "Print Screen \ SysRq" key and pasting into Paint (etc).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If for some reason the keybind for screenshot has changed, bring down the console (CTRL+ALT+~ or just ~) and type:

bind F12 screenshot

Then press F12 on your keyboard. The screenshot should be in the installed FM folder in the Doom 3 folder.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I cant post any of the "juicy" pics, but also to break the silence on the beginners contest a bit, I guess I should post a couple of images of some of the finished areas - I would say I still have a fair amount of work to do, there's an important area being built and theres going to be some complex (for me at least) pathing in there, but Im optmistic to be able to finish the mission without too much in the way of compromise...

post-8474-0-26509900-1332291204_thumb.jpg

post-8474-0-54566600-1332291213_thumb.jpg

post-8474-0-17941900-1332291233_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 2

Very atmospheric. I love it how different mappers have their unique style: RPGista seems to start his mapping career in the simple yet effective style favoured by me and Jesps. You also use light coming from the outside in a very interesting way. This is something I tend to forget in my maps: indeed, when you are inside (pitch black) and moonlight is outside, you should have interesting play of lights and shadows inside.

Tip: if it is dusty inside, you could make light scattering rays to emphasise the lighting. You could copy some example rays from the training mission.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The shots have some nice touches, with interesting mood lighting in the second and fancy architecture in the third. The light falling from above in the first shot could be softened by turning down the brightness a notch.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Strange, I can see them clearly, but its true that I scarcely editted them (only a bit more brightness), like my previous image posted a bunch of weeks ago, it was more about keeping it as close as possible to what you actually see in game, they are not presentational images. But thanks guys - like Sotha said, I'm trying to go for coherence here, the spaces will be sober and hopefully feel used. Thats not to say there wont be any surprises. There'll also be more than one way of overcoming each map "section", but I wont get into that. This is a lot more work than previously planned...

I cant post any of the "juicy" pics, but also to break the silence on the beginners contest a bit, I guess I should post a couple of images of some of the finished areas - I would say I still have a fair amount of work to do, there's an important area being built and theres going to be some complex (for me at least) pathing in there, but Im optmistic to be able to finish the mission without too much in the way of compromise...

Looking good! The third image is the best. I like the color tint on the second image. In the first image, is that day light? it's a bit strong.

Btw, I'm thinking about writing something on how to fake radiosity.. would there be any interest?

I've been studying the Skyrim character models and have decided to go back and give a few of our AI a makeover. I've learned a few things since putting some of the AI together, like the value of ambient occlusion. Anyway, here's the updated Thug character, with a few new skins. I've lightened the edges of leather objects to simulate wear, and added stitching, rivets and other small details (harder to see on the dark version), as well as adding ambient occlusion to the arms and tunic.

I think I'll probably work on some of the heads next, to improve things like hair (very poorly done thus far).

post-9-0-96582700-1332555404_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looks good.

One thing I've noticed with heads (and mirrored objects in general, but especially heads) is that the centerline gets a weird normal map crease in hard lighting.

Don't know if the uv's are just to close to the centerline, or if there isn't enough padding on the normal map... maybe it's just a lighting artifact from mirrored normals.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I've been studying the Skyrim character models and have decided to go back and give a few of our AI a makeover. I've learned a few things since putting some of the AI together, like the value of ambient occlusion. Anyway, here's the updated Thug character, with a few new skins. I've lightened the edges of leather objects to simulate wear, and added stitching, rivets and other small details (harder to see on the dark version), as well as adding ambient occlusion to the arms and tunic.

I think I'll probably work on some of the heads next, to improve things like hair (very poorly done thus far).

Very cool! Do you have a screenshot of the model from before for comparing?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax