The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

Ah, that makes sense, my screenshots were doing the same thing. Just need to make sure I'm uninstalling missions when not playing I guess. Just puzzles me that it'll still play fine without them in the correct folder. But I guess maybe for heart it was only the map file giving me issues and the rest were probably read out of pk4?

Yep, uninstalled, dmapped and there they were. hah, thanks

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great mission, but I also had the most problems out of any other mission so far. First of all, the library secret book didn't do anything. I pulled it, and heard what sounded like a door opening, but nothing in the entire map changed. Also, the Housekeeper's desk didn't have a book to pick up, so I couldn't finish the Find Information on the Heart objective (and therefore I couldn't finish the entire mission). Speaking of the housekeeper's room, I couldn't find the key at all (I even read every spoiler on this thread just to get help, but nobody ever answered whenever people asked where the key was). I ended up just having to noclip into the room.

Edited by SneaksieDave
USE SPOILER TAGS

Thanks XStationCube but PLEASE edit your post and ALWAYS use SPOILERS so as not to ruin everyone else's enjoyment. In the Dark Mod forums the spoiler option is in the 'Other styles' list at top left of the full editor.

The library book opens a bookcase further along in the library. After a few seconds it closes again so if you don't find it you have to frob the book again.

The book in the Housekeeper's room should be on top of the desk at the back. It's partly obscured.

The pump room key is hanging on the wooden board on the wall along with other keys. If it is missing then one or two players have reported the keys have been knocked down or out. You can search around on the floor. If not then all you can do is use noclip in the console to get through the door.

Almost done casing the first floor... so far, amazing! I had to do the easiest setting, unfortunately, as my system would crash when I tried to save on the more difficult settings. :( STILL, of all the missions I've played, it has the most scope and scale similar to the old burglar-with-a-blackjack game. Wonderful!

Now, I don't think this stuck point is a spoiler, though the answer would be... I have crawled, climbed, illuminated, and spent more than an hour looking for the lost kitchen key! Any pointers?

207115_1788633687853_1599901965_31729336_1424191_n.jpg

Thanks Maethius. Yes here it is:

It is on the kitchen window sill. On some levels there is a pot on top of it but if you are on Easy level then it should be visible but it is in a dark corner. If it has been accidentally knocked away while searching then there is another route and another key so no worries.

PS. Don't forget spoilers in the 'Other styles' list at top left of the full editor.

Thanks Maethius. Yes here it is:

It is on the kitchen window sill. On some levels there is a pot on top of it but if you are on Easy level then it should be visible but it is in a dark corner. If it has been accidentally knocked away while searching then there is another route and another key so no worries.

PS. Don't forget spoilers in the 'Other styles' list at top left of the full editor.

Thanks much! And I thought I had looked everywhere! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, here we are at the end, and I must say there is one final question that vexes me...

What is the evidence that the lord is an evil bastard? I mean, he admits to torture and murder in his log and I have every readable on him that I can carry. I have confessions, letters, even the diaries of everyone else. I'm guessing there is a specific bastardishness I need!

So, with that last bit out of the way, let me say it is an excellent FM... one of the very best. Scope, atmosphere, the depth of the story, and sheer volume of it are all excellent. I didn't run into bugs like many folks did, so I assume I got a well tweaked copy. There was so much that it was easy to get lost in what to do next near the end. For the mod itself more than the FM, it's clear a way to organize keys would be great! (isn't there a way to discard or destroy keys you no longer need?)

One suggestion/critique on this great piece of work....

Let's treat Sam's skeleton like all the other bodies, shall we? Dragging that blasted thing through the foundations was a terrible, rattling experience. ... May he rest in peace! :D

Wonderful work! I can only imagine what you could do with a whole series of FM's in a row... like, say, Burglar 4!

Maethius:

Evidence:

hint:

You've missed a clue to the incriminating evidence. The clue is in Lord Edridge's bedroom.

nudge:

The clue is between the pages of one of the books

push:

The evidence is in the housekeeper's room

kick:

The evidence is a book on top of the desk at the back

Sam:

This is an intended challenge. I realize some love it; some hate it. So I made it optional.

Keys:

More care is to be taken in the future with making some keys droppable.

You can cycle exclusively through any inventory category such as keys (like a key ring) by adding the following example to your Doomconfig.cfg

bind "k" "inventory_cycle_group Keys"

There were logical reasons I was forced into that actually.

The first is a clue to find the place where the objective is to find the incriminating evidence which was in the clue! The second would always be found near the key to the third so why bother with a third?

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents worth: This is one damn fine mission!

From the very start... the fog, the atmosphere, the secrets... I'm still in the middle of this one, just got to the second floor.

Ahh, I could write pages on the fog, it was just so awesome wub.gif My mom who's not into computer games so much (except for Zork...) couldn't get her eyes off the fog biggrin.gif

This is a challenging map, to be sure, but other than the slite reduction in framerate in the beginning, I've had no problems. Fidcal, Baddcog, GREAT STUFF! Can't wait to play more from you guys cool.gif

Summer

Splendid looking map! I am enjoying every second of it so far, nothing short of what to expect from these very talented mappers!

I ran into a little problem in the...

Sewer access before entering the estate, the one with the impassable water current. I could hardly could not move at all in there, it doesn't look like a common issue for everyone though, as I've read. My case seems to be one of the worst :(. I had to noclip to get past there, but all is well now so far.

EDIT: Looked around in the deeper parts of the sewer, and I noticed that there was a shallower pool of water at the bottom of the well. Why was there a flowing stream of water from before anyway? Had me confused and thinking it was a sewer. :X

EDIT2: Ok wait, it's not a shallow pool. Silly me, looked at it wrongly as I was noclipping. The current is still unbelievably strong and impassable, though.

Off I am to continue the delightful thieving experience, thanks again!

Edited by Rattlesnark

Thanks Rattlesnark. Strange though. We a few who reported the same problem.

The only way I can emulate that is if I try to walk instead of run. Then indeed I cannot move at all. The current was reduced from what it was and now it seems very easy to run forward to me.

Need a little help here...

Where might I find

the Housekeeper's key

? Spoil me, please smile.gif

Also, how can I get

the light-gem from the ceiling in the main entrance hall

?

This is an awesome mission! Too bad I only have time to play it a few hours a day instead of one long strecth... Curse on having to work! mad.gif

Summer

@Summer:

My missions generally work better if you just explore every area you can and study every clue you can rather than wonder where something is. That way, everything unfolds naturally as it should. That said, one can still overlook something so here is the specific spoiler coming up! :)

The housekeeper's key is in Lord Edridge's secret room. If you haven't found that yet then study the clues in one of the women's footlockers. If you are still stuck then read the next spoiler

Only read this if you've read the above first spoiler:

Lord Edridge's secret room is in the library. There is a special book on one of the upper bookshelves near the table that will open the door for a few seconds nearby.

To reach the

gems in the sunburst light you should jump to and climb the chain supporting one of the hanging lights either side of the main stair. You might first switch them off with the hanging switches but not absolutely necessary.

Thanks, Fidcal, for your spoilers - though it turned out I didn't actually need them: I ended up

at the top if the spiral stairs at the hatch that I had previously tried to open, but to no avail - but this time one of the keys worked! Don't know where the heck I got that key from, but things just moved on from there, yay!

As for the light-gem, though, there I did need the help, cos

I kept looking for a place to shoot a rope arrow and couldn't find any... I guess I'm still stuck on T2 thinking: didn't realize the chains were climbamble.

It all worked out in the end: Game time a whooping 5h 43min and some seconds. I got all the objectives done, including no major alarms or even detection. I was a ghost (even though some people ended up dead on the floors for no apparent reason - and I sure as heck didn't kill them!).

Thanks, Fidcal and Baddcog, for a great mission! This wasn't Thief-esque - it was Thief.

Summer

@aidakeeley: laugh.gif

That's great - very few complete the no alerts objectives. The spontaneous deaths I've been unable to solve.

I guess I kinda cheated the IronMan-setting since every time I got the objective failed on the screen I reloaded so I would get all the objectives done - even though most of the time I can't live without my trusty bj wink.gif

As for the sudden deaths, they didn't make me fail any objectives, so I didn't really see it as something hindering gameplay. Although... there was a dead guard at the doorway to the kitchen and I didn't bother to move him cos I hadn't killed him. Sooo... I was coming from the direction of the dining hall, just about to turn the corner to the kitchen when another guard yelled REALLY LOUD about a murderer! God, my heart just jumped to the ceiling and my stomach turned inside out! Gameplay-wise a tense adrenaline-rush moment - exactly what makes or brakes immersion. Intended or not, it was an awesome immersive moment that I won't soon forget cool.gif

Summer

I try to pretend the deaths are a feature and there is a maniac sneaking about at night. ;)

Maybe this is the culprit:

IMPORTANT! Do not set max_interleave_think_frames to high values (above 30). This will lead to path finding and physics problems, the AI might run into a wall and get damaged or even die.

http://modetwo.net/d...ng_optimization

Does the AI in that mission have custom interleave settings?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Yes - that was my first thought - but they are within safety limits as given on the wiki and I tried removing them and still got the deaths. I also note that other FMs such as NOHAT use them without spontaneous deaths AFAIK. Plus my FM grinds very slow without them so I'd take the deaths any day over an unplayable FM. :laugh: