The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

You can even add *random* text, now, so you could have something different to read on different loads. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Edridge deceives Lady Helena that Agnes is still alive and that Martha is with her by getting someone else (unknown but note it is the same handwriting as Ruth!) to write letters to Helena pretending to be Agnes.

WoW Fidcal, that you even thought about that! :thumbup: :)

You can even add *random* text, now, so you could have something different to read on different loads. ;)

:o Damn cool!

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

haha I keep a list of every character's handwriting so I don't accidentally use the same for the bishop and the whore. If I didn't, then somebody *would* notice! :laugh: Also for characters that are continued into another level of a campaign like Sam and Clara shouldn't change handwriting.

To be honest I was away from playing thief/TDM missions for quite a time... When I decided to take some FM I was afraid that it would quickly bore me.

But this FM simply can't bore anyone! :D Very absorbing gameplay - all the best thiefy nuances! Huge mansion, hidden passages, a lot of good old secrets to find, myriad of readables... The deeply designed storyline. I understand the most of it now, but I am sure that not everything :wacko: (And the fact that I'm not English native speaker makes understanding even harder. I'm used to this problem but reading hand-written English text turned out to be surprisingly difficult...). The possibilities of TDM engine which are rarely necessary in normal gameplay were used - frobbing bodies and manipulating objects are required by objectives.

Tried to destroy the Heart in the bath - did not work... I remember reading a hint in pump room about the water in the bath. Seems that I misunderstood it. What is the purpose of bath then?

I've always wondered what happens when all the KO-ed people awaken after you get out. For example, she must be greatly surprised when she finally wakes up :blush: :

shot00003qp.png

Thanks stgatilov; glad you enjoyed it.

The clue for destroying the Heart is in Lord Drakon's log. You need to drop it in the water at the far end of the underwater spring so you cannot retrieve it.

My next FM will have optional player notes which will clarify the above type of problem and make reading and remembering the clues easier for non-English readers and everyone else.

The clue for destroying the Heart is in Lord Drakon's log. You need to drop it in the water at the far end of the underwater spring so you cannot retrieve it.

It is mentioned that Lady Helena always takes bath in the water which is taken from that spring. I thought only the type of water matters - that's why I tried to destroy it in the bathroom :laugh:

My next FM will have optional player notes which will clarify the above type of problem and make reading and remembering the clues easier for non-English readers and everyone else.

Do you mean that clues will be automatically added to the diary? That would definitely help a lot. When playing this FM I took pen and paper after hour of playing :D. I wrote the most important clues down on the paper. But I didn't track the plot details.

Some of the original thief games allows to make marks/notes on the map - it is really cool. This way I can track on the map visited/unvisited places, hints about locked doors etc. Is it possible currently in TDM? Was this idea discussed?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I am almost there, WOW, what a great FM!

tho I dont get how anyone could figure to release the crystal by doing what you need to do, I was looking for

red powder as it says in the book - I had to read a spoiler here to figure it out...maybe I missed something. I know the powder was sealed in glass...according to the book (?)- game is not in front of me now.... just trying to remember..

One big thing i dont like about this mission is I know it has to end!!!!!!!!!

Great great job guys! really great!

• 2 months later...

The FM is great and all. I love that there are so many secrets!

Problem is, I'm not sure if it's something to do with the new update for the dark mod that it's causing it, but my game crashes from time to time while playing this FM (It's the only FM that has made my PC crash). Has anyone else encountered these crashes on the FM or is it just me?

That's a great pity. Was it alright before the update? This FM is big so perhaps increased code size tipped it over the edge. How much memory RAM has your PC got? Try closing absolutely all other programs as far as possible and try. Maybe disconnect the internet, close firewalls, anti_virus etc etc.

Just guessing here. Instead it might be some unusual thing you did (TDM is very flexible how players can play) that corrupted something.

If this persists you might post in the tech forum. I think somewhere I did see something about some changes affecting some existing FMs but I don't remember which or if that was the previous update.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished Heart of Lone Salvation version2 (TDM 1.05)

Let me say huge thanks to Fidcal & Baddcog. This mission is such a delight to play. I can honestly say, this is the mission which I will recommend to friends in order to interest them in TDM. It is better than any mission in Thief 1/2/3 in my opinion.

Interesting story, authentic writing (notes), numerous secrets, numerous rooms/objectives/characters.

I absolutely love the way you can pick up a candle and see in a dark area, and even light other candles/torches with it. It feels like Amnesia:Dark Descent combined with TDM.

• 4 months later...

I am a little late posting to this thread but I am just now playing the dark mod fm's. I am already addicted to this great game.

The heart of lone salvation is everything a taffer would want in a mission. I want to say Super nice job to the authors.

I have read about a few crashes here and there but one that I am having trouble with is identical to another member's... Stealth'91 I believe.

It seems that after

I did the bath thing

that when I scroll through my inventory the game crashes and leaves my resolution settings bleached out.

If there is a solution someone has come up with, I haven't read it yet, so could someone give me a little help?

I have just replaced my PC with a new graphics card but having to run old drivers to get dark mod to run with it.

Thanks graybeard. The 'bleaching' is normal when Doom3 crashes to the desktop. Its brightness settings are left in the graphics card settings. As I'm sure you've found out, just run Doom3 again temporarily and exit should fix that but if not then a reboot.

The other problem I just don't know. Are you able to continue?