The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

I've been expecting this for quite a while, and with good reason: it's still one of the best TDM missions ever (apart from St. Alban's Cathedral... ). Huge, complex, challenging but not frustrating, full of variety and surprises. Most of it works flawlessly in TDM 2.01 now, but I experienced a few glitches:

(1) neither of the 2 garden keys worked on the garden door (behind the storage) - they only made a noise and the door became permanently inert; (2) there was no way to pick up the library key from the open desk; (3) the "non-secret secret" bottle in Andrew's jug was frobbable but could not be removed; (4) I found no key for one door next to the spiral stairs.

. None of these were vital - except perhaps (1) - but I wonder if they happened only to me...?

Just done a quick check

Garden key - both worked

The only way to get the bottle as opposed to the goblet - assuming you are talking about the jugs in the wardrobe is to break the jug but the bottle isn't loot and it broke when I broke the jug

The key you are missing is in the room on the other side of that door

No problem picking up the spare library key from the desk which I opened in the library so I am not sure which one you mean

Edited by Oldjim

Yes, it's the same jug (and I broke it, too) and the same (light greenish) spare library key in the left compartment of the desk, which I'm still unable to get highlighted from any angle. Thanks for checking - so my problems may have been just nature's random occurrences... time to replay.

I am a little hazy about my own story after all this time but as I recall, wasn't the lady of the house mute? There is probably something in a readable? Admittedly, it was probably done that way because at that time there was no voice yet available for the noble lady. But since I worked it into the story it should be retained.

This is easily UP there with Requiem. But I think I found a bug....could be my machine but

After i get the Heart and go to the pool to drop the Heart in it, after i start the water the game crashes. This didn't happen when I didn't have the Heart.

Beside this......the mission is flawless, complex and very well written. It was worth the wait. I'm glad it is not just go there-take that-get out. The diversity is very pleasing and very well implemented. Great job and thank you for the mission.

Edited by UnrealOne

I have got 8 gb of ddr3.

Problem is that this happened only AFTER I got the heart. Turned the water on a couple of times before i got it and took a bath :D all was fine. Kept trying a couple of times but same result. .........anyway, I will try again tomorrow after a fresh restart.

Edited by UnrealOne

That usually means that the pk4 has changed but I think it can also happen with a corrupted save

One thing I would really recommend with this mission due to its length is to do hard saves at intervals so that you don't get kicked back to the start if a quick save corrupts

I usually do this on all the long missions - William Steel series and No Honour Among Thieves being two examples

This is easily UP there with Requiem. But I think I found a bug....could be my machine but

After i get the Heart and go to the pool to drop the Heart in it, after i start the water the game crashes. This didn't happen when I didn't have the Heart.

Beside this......the mission is flawless, complex and very well written. It was worth the wait. I'm glad it is not just go there-take that-get out. The diversity is very pleasing and very well implemented. Great job and thank you for the mission.

I have not tested the latest version of this FM yet but I had the issue with the first released version. Only difference was I didn't have the heart in my possession at the time. Operating the tub faucet caused massive frame lag. If I didn't move my mouse at all after turning on the faucet, once the tub was filled, the frame lag went away. It was repeatable.

I don't know what it was with the operating of the valve or filling of the tub that was causing this. I would imagine that the tub filling was accomplished using a brush of water texture and just altering its Z axis movement raising it from below the tub to the water fill height. Was this edited in the new version?

Edited by Lux

I have to admit - I didn't check that in beta testing mainly because it isn't the solution

Just checked and I didn't get a problem

I filled the tub and emptied it several times with the heart in my possession and there was no impact on frame rate and no crashes

Edited by Oldjim

Above the heart is an unlit torch with a glass shield under it. Go up on the handrail and shoot the torch with the fire arrow. Beware the spider.

Replay of this mission after 4 years.

How do you light the torch with the matches when there's no fire arrow? Pressing R and U doesn't work. :huh:

Edited by id3839315

I have to admit - I didn't check that in beta testing mainly because it isn't the solution

Just checked and I didn't get a problem

I filled the tub and emptied it several times with the heart in my possession and there was no impact on frame rate and no crashes

Admittedly also, when I initially played this mission I was running SLI gtx570s so now running a single card I have not tested again but it could likely have been an Nvidia SLI driver issue.

EDIT: As it turns out also, I had a number of DR crashes manipulating multiple patch verticies at once that now no longer occurs (just tested). It appears that was also SLI driver related.

Edited by Lux

After playing it, I can see why this mission was liked so much. ~3.5 hrs completion time for me. This is a big and interesting mission. For it being one of the first 20 missions made and over 4 years old now, it's all the more impressive. Certainly by far the best in its series, with the first two being small missions that were very demo-like and the fourth and final one not being anywhere near as great as this.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was just a teensy bit ever so slightly TOTALLY EFFING AWESOME!!!!!

I needed a bit of help from here with some of the secrets and I wasn't playing on the hardest as I'm still a bit of a noob at TDM but I now have a new favourite mission

Took 4:28 hours, found 8776/9097 loot & stealth was 14

the undead spider saw me lighting the lamp over the heart & knocked it up a bit

The fog was beautiful & fit perfectly

There was one secret I couldn't find

The arrow on the 'light tower' I think that means this one

lighttower.jpg

Sorry if thats a bit dark, it's taken from the top corner of the tower with the light on top nearest the mansion.

Been up to the light, round the light, in the light ( seemed to be a clipping error ) Fell off and died lots of times but could I find an arrow could I taff!

Am I looking in the right place ?

Edited by esme

esme: Glad to hear you enjoyed the mission! :)

I can't remember exactly where the arrow is but yes, it's roughly up there somewhere on or near that light tower. All I remember is that it was intended to be a stray arrow from the parapet target practice. So, if you know where that is, then imagine an archer swinging wide and loosing an arrow. So at least you know the arrow ought to be on that side (which I think is the south side.)

If you can't find it then if it were me I'd restart the FM and set cheats and fly straight up there with the gamma boosted up. Once you know exactly where it should be then you can reload your actual save and check if it's still there. I mean, it might have got knocked down or accidentally frobbed. Maybe another developer removed it? (unlikely) I know it was there.