The Dark Mod Forums

New update perhaps?

Moon Hoplite

Which is funny because 1.04 got momentum sort of as a bugfix of 1.03, but then I think ended up being even bigger with more new stuff. I think it's interesting how these updates ebb and flow, with new stuff and fixes having their own little cycles.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think that 1.04's feature spree was fueled by the left-over momentum from the 1.03 crunch added to the fact that the members had a little holiday time to dig-in.

I guess breaking 5 maps must've cut short the plan for 1.05 to be a longer-term release (even though 4 of them are easily made playable via a workaround ;) ..., Link )

I still think 1.05 could've cooked a little longer and was hoping to see more pathfinding fixes or big features like new AI types. Right now the biggest new feature I can think of is the new LOD memory manager but that is a bit abstract to promote. (I will still whip-up a little frenzy at Moddb anyway :laugh: )

Bugfixes are nothing to sneeze at though. It'll be cool to see long standing bugs like tracker 1330 being fixed when they were formerly considered intractable problems. Plus, I often see "bugs" where the description is like "AI should check the clock and make sure to remember to visit their friend at the tavern to discuss politics" which appear to be "fixed" by creating whole new systems. So those are really "new features" as far as I'm concerned. :P

Viva la v1.05 !

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I guess breaking 5 maps must've cut short the plan for 1.05 to be a longer-term release...

With the new update system making it much easier for us to package up our releases, we're actually trying to release smaller updates on a more regular basis. When updates drag out for several months, like they used to, it's very draining on the team. 1.05 was never intended to take a long time, and it really isn't getting pushed out that much earlier than intended. Though, in light of the bugs that got through in 1.04, it is certainly needed.

Right now the biggest new feature I can think of is the new LOD memory manager

Tightening up blackjacking is definitely something to mention. And a new "alert" entity has been added, along with a couple new loot entities. But yes, this is mostly a bugfixing update.

Cool.

I was hoping to make some noise about the Blackjack fixes, I didn't know if they were going to be pushed from a promotional POV.

It would funny to have a live-action Youtube commercial where people in normal social situations pull out a Blackjack to solve their problems. (Then end in Dark Mod blackjack footage...).

Wham! (Blackjacked!) :laugh:

Ocn?

With the new update system making it much easier for us to package up our releases, we're actually trying to release smaller updates on a more regular basis.

The only downside to this is the inability to use old game saves with the new mod version. Most TDM players I would think have at least one mission in progress at any given time.

The only downside to this is the inability to use old game saves with the new mod version. Most TDM players I would think have at least one mission in progress at any given time.

Yup, but they can finish the mission first and then run the update. It's a small inconvenience for more frequent fixes and improvements though. Keeps our morale higher and lets the community know that we're very active.

I hope ALL the released missions would be tested in 1.05!

Any public beta testing as happened for 1.03?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Oh duh...

v1.05 will have OSX support on release?

I don't think Mac OSX build is quite ready for primetime. Hopefully 1.06. I haven't even had time to test it on my Hackintosh.

A big chunk of the remaining Melan and Serpentine textures will be added?

:unsure:

I don't think so. This is mainly a bug fix release. Black jacking is tightened up, AI fixes, fixes to SEED and LOD... etc....

Yeah... Midnight appears to have v1.04 running on his Mac so I thought that was a lock.

(Any "release" article will be a big draw over at Moddb anyway but... someone needs to release a mission concurrent to this release :laugh: )

(Any "release" article will be a big draw over at Moddb anyway but... someone needs to release a mission concurrent to this release :laugh: )

Well, like we've said, mainly a bug fix release...so I don't know if there will be any missions ready at the same time...but perhaps shortly after, you never know.

You have to keep feeding those Moddb folk. They are fickle.

Operation "Keep posting stuff so TDM status is visible in the ranks" has been a little hampered by my IRL work and chores...

More articles soon...

Nobody can give any dates as no one knows exactly. We're currently testing, and if nothing bad happens the release candidate is pushed out. If major bugs are found we need to fix them and go into one more testing loop. The number of major bugs that are found is unpredictable, hence no exact date. For 1.04 the testing phase lasted almost four weeks, and I had been hoping it would have been finished after one.