The Dark Mod Forums

Rage

Shadowhide

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what folks were expecting but Id laid-out the game as intended awhile back and if you read between the lines you should've heard:

"We are creating a brain-dead Id style shooter with linear progression, vehicular combat, and scripted story elements akin to HL2 (but with better vehicle sections)"

Instead folks are acting as if they were told:

"We are creating a deep RPG\FPS hybrid that will usurp Borderlands and Fallout 3 in scope and technology."

Also...

I love Rich_is_Bored's take on the the whole "texture quality controversy":

How powerful a system do you folks figure you'd need if the full resolution resource pack was available? It seems 1 GB of dedicated video memory is the sweet spot given the assets we have. And obviously if the texture resolution goes up so will the memory requirements. The largest card I see is 4 GB and it goes for almost $700. Do you sell drugs for a living?

:laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

".. instead of the default 64MB"

ROFL what is this, 2003? I'm pretty sure my *netbook* has more video memory (shared) than that.

This is how rumors start. Nowhere in the settings do you specify how much memory you have. Instead you specify the size of the texture cache. Your choices are "small" and "large".

I since the minimum requirement is 256MB and there must be room for at least a couple of render targets... the smallest cache they would likely specify is something like 192MB? ...How much room for geometry though...? maybe even lower, like 96MB?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Rage is optimized for consoles, as J.C. himself pointed out (as a mistake). And since the RAM on consoles is not worth mentioning (on XboX 360, it's 512 MB DDR3 Unified for both CPU and GPU), I can readily imagine how those rumors come to life.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Whatever glitches it came out with, that megatexture tech is great! Every screen is like custom painted art, no seams, no repetition. It makes the environment of the game feel like nothing before..even with its tightness it feels so much more infinite because of the detail..

I wish there wasnt the long baking time so this could be modded..It must have been a joy to decorate these environments with this vast amount of details and no restriction. (only geometric restriction).

All in all, this rocks. Only thing to blame here is the market situation..

I don't see how can anyone be disappointed with this game.. Really, does anyone expects anything other than a plain shooter to showcase the engine? And people who enjoy shooters have to agree that it's hard to miss the target on this genre! maybe I'm not the one to talk, since I rarely like shooters, but sounds like a simple formula. You have a large variety of weapons and enemies, everything looks nice, enemies die in several nice ways, you have missions, you have open world etc.

Whatever glitches it came out with, that megatexture tech is great! Every screen is like custom painted art, no seams, no repetition. It makes the environment of the game feel like nothing before..even with its tightness it feels so much more infinite because of the detail..

I wish there wasnt the long baking time so this could be modded..It must have been a joy to decorate these environments with this vast amount of details and no restriction. (only geometric restriction).

I thought this too. I recall JC or somebody said modders could still make individual levels, which implied to me that they could bake the MTs at a smaller scale; it's just the massive hub areas that go too far. So we still may see some awesome maps coming out.

BTW I actually asked over at D3World about the possibility of using fan-networked render farms, and they said that had actually be done before for Quake 3 maps. The problem for Rage wasn't getting the computer power, but something like you have to build a unified architecture with the tech that all the nodes are under, and that has technical & IP challenges since the baking tech is proprietary & embedded in the game and blah blah... you can read their response over at D3W in the Rage forum. It was Greek to me. But then they added that when it had been done before for Quake 3, mappers just didn't use it, so it was all this computing power without work to do. It's so much work to paint the things, it takes a special breed of mappers I guess.

Anyway, the whole idea sounds dreamy to me... Just obsessively painting details in an absolutely open manner, like the guys that build cathedrals in Minecraft. Actually the real dream would be when voxel tech gets added to the mix. Then you could (in theory) do the same for geometry! Build however you liked without worrying about a pixel budget or the complexity of geometry. Then game editing would just be the ultimate open world-building!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't see how can anyone be disappointed with this game.. Really, does anyone expects anything other than a plain shooter to showcase the engine? And people who enjoy shooters have to agree that it's hard to miss the target on this genre! maybe I'm not the one to talk, since I rarely like shooters, but sounds like a simple formula. You have a large variety of weapons and enemies, everything looks nice, enemies die in several nice ways, you have missions, you have open world etc.

first : everything doesn't looks nice.even with 2 GB VRAM textures is washed

second : fucking open world is full of clipbrushes that doesn't allow you to jump from the hills or climb rocks

Proceed with caution!

first : everything doesn't looks nice.even with 2 GB VRAM textures is washed

second : fucking open world is full of clipbrushes that doesn't allow you to jump from the hills or climb rocks

Really? That's unexpected. I haven't played, but the images and videos I've seen are pretty impressive. Maybe the ugliness is just bad design.. Actually, while trying to remember the images all I can think of is BROWN. Brown everywhere. So you might not be nuts.

I'm beginning to feel curious towards this game.. the racing part and the pseudo open world make it look like they were trying spice up what could be just a shooting experience and experiment with game design! And I always feel bad when the industry tries to innovate a little bit and fails. Makes me feel guilty for criticizing it so much for its lack of innovations, you know? :blush: I feel like they're looking at me and saying "see? I told you so! it's not worthy. Innovation is for indies with little money to lose". I see your point, guilty consciousness voice that sounds like the industry, and you might be right.

Mirror's Edge feelings.

Well, Shadowhide got the truth with those clipbrushes if nothing else. These must be the legacy of console controlling.

They could have marked those removeable for the pc however :/ It surely is disappointing when i want to jump over a table while rushing towards enemies with a shotgun.. but i hit an invisible wall of fail.

first: If you have a nice graphic card, could you post some screenies?

second: I hate that shit too.

nah,my V-card isn't modern,but I'd like to post screenshots from other people :

det_rage_064.jpg

make screenshot bigger and look at those washed textures !

det_rage_046.jpg

same here

whats point of megatexture technology ? 15 gb of textures that are washed ? Crysis 1 is way better game and its looking much better even without megatextures

here is the screenshot from Gothic 2 (2003) :

G2-NotR_Canyon.jpg

Its like Rage,but without fancy skybox

Did I mention that Rage have no dynamic lightning already ?

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!