The Dark Mod Forums

to the owner(s) of dark mod

LordSoth

Apparently hes looking for the team member who grants permission to host TDM FM's, videos, and logos after the fact that hes already posted them all on his own website, lol. I dont think anyone minds overly much, anyways.

My site supports all fan made missions for thief and DarkMod, and no im not looking for permission from anyone about posting logo's and videos so get ya facts stright and then shut up.

• Like 1

Keith Pay is listed as the creator of Taffersparadise.com.

Keith, if you are reading this, the missions for TDM will be updated somewhere in the near future to be more easily translatable. You'd need to update your mirror then, too.

Btw, I think you meant to ask if we will list your missions on the wiki or onthedarkmod.com as mirror so the game can use it? Is that right?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Rudely telling someone to shut up in the second (ever!) post in a forum simply has to be some kind of record. Congrats. :D

Ot the other hand, taking the very first post from someone and interpreting it in your own wild imaginations and implying stuff and then laughing over it is done every day on every forum on this wide internet thingy.

So I can totally see that someone won't put up with that. Tho the diplomacy in the response is a bit lacking I wonder why the behaviour of ungoliant is taken as "ok", but the response, while rude, is to the point, but seen as "not ok" :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Looking to get hold of the owner/creaters of dark mod as soon as pos, if one could mail me on here that would be great.

Im the creater of Taffersparadise.com.

Oh keep up the good work peeps.

cool,but do not place the dot after the "Taffersparadise.com"

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

Well...

Lord Soth granted me permission to post links to his site for mirrors so hopefully this won't end-up poorly. However, it seems that Mr Soth is getting ready to sell Thief merchandise (mugs) which may cause problems for him and possibly anyone he associates with because commercially exploiting Fan Missions is questionable legally (at least according to the punters over at TTLG)... I hope not but I may need to delete a bunch of taffersparadise links soon...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well mugs depend. If he is using 'Thief' artwork on them, which could include anything from the logo to concept art to screen shots of FM's then it could be a legal problem for him. Though I don't see how that would effect anyone who links to free downloads.

If it's his own artwork on mugs inspired by the thief series I don't see how that would cause any legal issues.

Years ago one guys was tying to sell CD's full of Thief FM's for $20 on ebay or something. We shut him down pretty quick. The EULA clearly states free distribution only.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

hello Spingheel, im looking to get hold of someone high up. Im going to be selling thief mugs on my site soon, i was thinking of maybe selling some with the DarkMod logo.

Im not going to go ahead with this if it will upset any of the peeps working on the DarkMod, so i need to know what the people that make this mod think. Will need to konw soon, i can have one made up and send you a pic and see what you think.

My first inclination is to say this would be a violation of the EULA agreement, but if it's just the logo I'm not sure. Other opinions?

The provided license doc reveals that TDM was released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Even while I'm listed under the "copyright holders" (though I'm not the creator of the logo), I truly don't care what derivitives spawn from my little tuppence. I remember when I first joined as a contributor, I was grilled to make sure I was okay with some kind of an open license.

My hope is not to have arise more petty squabbles and legal spitting contests.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Well i will need to know for sure, if im breaking any laws then ill just have a few done for me and leave it at that.

The idea was if peeps wanted a mug with a thief/dark mod pic or logo then they could as i do not think one can buy of such a thing at the moment online. Would it still be ok to post pic of the mugs i have done on my site ??? even if i unable to sell them.

let me know people.

All maps, textures, models, def files, audio assets, and all other

non-software components of The Dark Mod are licensed under the

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license,

as specified at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode

and described at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

I'm not a DarkMod team member but IMO this part of the DM license is very clear.

The Dark Mod logo of itself won't be a legal issue between the TDM team and Eidos but if team members have a stake in the project then proceeds may be owed to them. The big issue being that many contributors are no longer around to compensate. If the TDM team signs-off on your venture, there's no way to stop an old contributor from trying to claim some share later... At least that was what I gathered from earlier discussions about revenue...

With regard to the "Thief" logo, that's almost certainly a problem.

You can get clever like the T-Shirt company "Threadless" and make visual allusions to Thief or TDM. You could even have TDM in-jokes like "Where's Lord Dufford?" "Closemouthed Shadows is for fans only." "I visited Mad's Mountain and forgot my arithmetic." "I climb into rifts in the earth for treasure."... "I don't have a heliocentric solar-system model in my attic"

My first inclination is to say this would be a violation of the EULA agreement, but if it's just the logo I'm not sure. Other opinions?
I'm not a DarkMod team member but IMO this part of the DM license is very clear.

It is true that the particular CC licence forbids commercial use, however two points to note:

1. The owner of the copyright on an individual item is free to grant additional rights over and beyond those included in the mod's own licence. For example, if Springheel single-handedly designed the logo he is free to permit it to be used commercially if he chooses.
  2. If the money given to LordSoth only covers the cost of printing the mug and shipping it to the buyer, i.e. he is not making a personal profit, that might not be classed as commercial use. On the other hand, it might be. IANAL.

Well, I don't see there being a legal issue with Eidos or iD over the use of TDM logo in anyway. However if the mugs with the TDM logo were sold for profit it would be spitting in the eye of TDM members imo. A lot of people have put a lot of work into this mod, and nobody has ever asked for or expected compensation. But if someone outside the team was making a profit from fans of said work... Well that would just be wrong imo.

It might be better if no profit was to be made. But in the same vein someone could just ready artwork for any of the numerous mug/t-shirt making sites and someone could just upload it, buy one for themselves and delete it.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

If he's hosting TDM files and allowing TDM to use them for mirrors then he probably deserves some credit.

The TDM team should follow suit and sell some kinda merchandise too (for hosting expenses, etc). Someday I will have my awesome TDM t-shirt... :wub:

More:

"Lark Butternose, you stop hanging out with that hooligan Thomas!"

"I prefer my Keys to be brightened"

"Too many damned mushrooms! Grayman in the mines circa 2010"

"I only collect ornate ceramic eggs in pirate caves."

"Thief's Den: No longer employing obese guards."

Right now, the D3 SDK's EULA is disallowing that we (and I think anybody else) is "commercially exploiting" the derivative work we're doing. It's of course always debatable (like in a recent thread about covering server expenses by public donations) what exploiting really means, but it's a moot discussion.

That situation might change once there is a GPL'd Doom 3 version, but right now it's a rather unclear situation im my point of view, so I'd not recommend producing anything TDM-related with the intent of selling it. Doing your own personal mugs is fine, one could even share the images (granted the original copyright holder gives permission, see OrbWeaber's reply) so that everyone can make their own, but I'd rather not put it up for sale.

Ok thanks for the replys people, seem selling these at this point is not such a good idea but i am able to should it be ok to do so in the future.

The other idea i had was to have these mugs given out as a prize to a winner of any map making compos that take place or somthing along those lines ??? what do people think of that, no cost to the person who won and no commercial use at all.