The Dark Mod Forums

NOLF2 is Free Software

zergrush

I have it on disc somewhere.

Was fun right up to the sky dive, can't control, can't finish game if you can't pass this annoying f'ed up part of the game.

That's NOLF1, and that bit is easy to finish if you save once inbetween and drop out of the plane with a decent amount of health/armor. Did it on hard mode a few days ago.

Wow, this is unexpected and cool. I personally prefered the original NOLF though. It cracked me up. So many funny conversations...

Somebody should do a native Linux port of this game. I bet it would take more effort than most games do, since it uses D3d, but nolf 1/2 still run pretty shitty in WINE. You get no music for example, and NOLF2 has model rendering issues without a patched Wine.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Wow, this is unexpected and cool. I personally prefered the original NOLF though. It cracked me up. So many funny conversations...

Somebody should do a native Linux port of this game. I bet it would take more effort than most games do, since it uses D3d, but nolf 1/2 still run pretty shitty in WINE. You get no music for example, and NOLF2 has model rendering issues without a patched Wine.

NOLF2 has a lot of witty dialogue too. As for porting, the game simply needs openGL renderer to get it working on linux. This is the full source code for Lithtec's Jupiter Engine, which means ALL of the games running under it (F.E.A.R, Tron 2.0, Blood 2, etc) could be ported too!

It's a shame that AvP 2 is on the lithtech talon engine instead of the jupiter engine.

I loved the NOLF games when I was younger. I used to play the NOLF2 demo over and over again until I got it, and I also had NOLF1 on the PS2

Well apparently Jupiter is based on Talon which is based on the original Lithtech engine. In the github repository I linked there's a NOLF1 compatibility project included, so maybe AVP2 can also be made compatible with some effort.

• 1 month later...

Nice to think about, but I think it works the opposite way, where people are paranoid to release anything because they're not sure who out there might find the rights and sue them. Uncertainty usually doesn't bode well for a game franchise.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

A little offtopic: does anyone have AvP 2 (© 2001 Monolith) source? I know that this source was available to download for a few days or even hours long time ago, but still I can't find it :(.

Havn't checked in detail, but probably you will find something in one of the links.

Latest exe (2013):

http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/

Latest source for above:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/AvP/trac_subversion_tool

• 6 years later...

Old post but i thought i would pitch in. The Lithtech Jupiter source code might be the full version but... the source can only be used for mods,

it is incompatible with the released NOLF2 game. I have built it with no problem besides having to use a rather old msvc .NET compiler,

unfortunatly this version simply cannot run the full game it will crash and burn if you try.

NOLF2 used an old version off DX9 the enterprise source version uses a somewhat newer version and there are some assets that needs changing to reflect that.

So untill someone with a good grasp on the lithtech engine and artistic skills comes along. the only thing you can do with it would be running some samples and creating mods for the game ( it atleast works well enough to show off your work ).

• Like 1

Indeed :) got it mixed up.

i done some work on the source and it now builds with the latest dx9sdk.

unfortunatly the needed compiler (MSVC .NET 2003) is to old to work with this so i had to do some hacks to get around the lack of sal.h and rpcsal.h (provided dummy ones).

next on list would be updating to a more recent compiler but i fear this might not be the most easy task since a lot changed in msvc over the years.

• Like 1

Old but still not to bad :)  F.E.A.R used the next iteration of jupiter -> "ex" with some work this jupiter could probably eclipse that since it now has access

to the latest dx9. The unfortunate thing for me is while i can probably get the engine upto speed, i sorely lack the skills to create the needed assets (shaders etc.) so im stuck in that regard. Ill probably update the sources to use cmake though. Might also remove the old dmusic crap and replace it with openal.

Atleast bink is no longer needed since this version of jupiter uses dshow for the videos, it can still be enabled but would need to be ported to ffmpeg.

• Like 1

Well i was right in regards to not being able to use this engine as an update for NOLF2.

The help file even states that it has had some changes that require recompiling the game assets (which we dont have) only a few test worlds and most of the shaders models etc.

Its good if you want to build a game from scratch though, so ill upload it to git when im done with it.

Then people wanting to use it can just fork it.

• Like 1

Hello revelator happy to see you still work on engine stuff. 

I love that people still work with old engines and give them new life. How's the tools and documentation on the engine? I don't know if I will ever try it, i'm very busy with idtech 4 (fhdoom) already, just curious.

But one old engine that I would love to play with, is HPL1 from Frictional Games, they released the entire source code and I tried to make it compile on modern compilers myself  (VS2015) but it was just error after error that I didn't knew how to solve, plus uses a very old collada format linked to a old Maya version. But I would love to use it, just to make simple free, FPS horror games akin to penumbra, with the mouse interaction capabilities it has and angel scripting support (similar to C) would be awesome, at least I think so.

Edited by HMart

Im a bit on off these days, (retired) but from time to time i do still code a bit.

The tools are all there but the documentation for them lacks a bit, you might have better luck getting help from unityhq since they still work on lithtech stuff.

A few of the tools required obscure compilers like borland C++ 6.0 which no longer works if you use win10 so i took the liberty of rebuilding those with the latest embarcadero compiler after fixing incompatibilities ;) they dont get built by default anyway.

Not familiar with HPL1 ? but if looking for another engine to sink your teeth into then serious sam engine was opensourced to. -> https://github.com/Croteam-official/Serious-Engine

This is the first iteration of it so its a bit dated but it looked ok even for its time and the community has been hard at it adding bumpmapping and fixing other stuff.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, revelator said:

Oh its the Penumbra engine used in overture :blink: cool.

Looks like it uses cmake and Cg shaders, going to have a look at it soon :)

Yes is the overture engine. :)  Btw It has no real, world editor, they made one for HPL2 (the engine used on Amnesia) but in HPL1 everything is done through collada text tags, using a modeling suit (they used Maya 7.0 with some old collada plugin ) but if the collada support would be updated to use a more modern version than perhaps I could use Modo or Blender to work with it and I wouldn't mind at all.