The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I posted this in August...I shudder at how close I came.

The original Garrett was a coldly professional, profoundly self-centered loner. "I've always equated feelings with being caught."

Now he's a wounded father-figure, haunted by guilt and "loss", with "friends", who decorates his lair with trophies.

I can't wait for the scene where he stares at his "claw" and suddenly flashes back to the moment when he stole it from Erin. The roof lurches; she slips and falls, goes to reach for her claw to save herself, but it's not there! Her eyes go wide and she reaches out her hand...Garrett reaches out his hand to grab her and they briefly touch fingertips...then she falls screaming to her death..."Why Garrett? Why did you take my claaaaaawww.....?"

• Like 3

I think the worst thing in that is definitely the abominable voice acting.

It's so bloody monotone. I've heard more emotion in text to speech software.

I posted this in August...I shudder at how close I came.

I love the full version of that quote such an awesome line!

"I've always equated "feelings" with "getting caught"...they both get in the way of my money. Unfortunately not everyone is as committed to their work as I am."

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 2

The leader doing the channeling calls the others 'mages' they place a blue gem on the pedestal in the center then unlock a book with a ten teethed gear on its cover, and that causes the portal to open pulling everything in the room into it, the window on the ceiling looks like an eye and breaks with the girl on it, she girls falls into the portal. then later on she comes back and garrett tells her that she is dead. the creature at the end looks like either a zombie or a vampire.

Can anyone please explain NuThief's fascination with reducing everything to simple words? "The Gloom", "the swoop", "the shroud", "the claw" and now, "the primal".

I don't see the comparison...most of those from the originals are proper nouns. "The City" is actually a city. "The Baron" is actually a baron. "The Gloom" means absolutely nothing if you don't already know what it's referring to.

There's way too much silly swagger during the "[Erin died] . . . I'll never forget it." line. And the way the cowl squishes his mouth and facial muscles together, seemingly affecting his voice, strikes me as blatantly (Bale) Batman.

I do think the UI-shorn gameplay has at least some semblance of legitimacy, though.

I thought the trailer was very action packed but wasn't very "Thiefy".. whatever that is.

I hope it was only that way because it had to be hyped up for the VGX thing. Obviously the game is being taken in different places than we are used to, I just hope that when I sit down and actually play the game it is a great experience from start to finish.

Thief 2 is my favorite game of all time so it is held very dear to me and I doubt the new Thief will overtake that place but I still think the new Thief will be a good game on its own merits.

Okay, so the question of who the old lady is, is answered by this trailer: It's Erin. I am assuming that falling into this magical blue light thingy pushed her back in time and made her pretty much immortal. If you aren't sure about wether Erin is or is not The Lady, check her lips (black) and the beauty mark. It's so painfully obvious.

I also hate those flashes when you get into the light. At first, I thought that were just artifacts because of my bad internet connection, but after seeing you guys discussing it here, I realize this is an actual gameplay element. People who are susceptible to bright flashes will have real fun with this game... not.

Apart from that, the trailer was pretty standard - the Hollywood movie blockbuster type, with the exception of the neck-breaking fest. Not even Hollywood would try that, at least not where I live.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

The moment it got billed as a next-gen AAA title, we knew it was going to be dross. But, I'm betting there will still be at least a few slices of enjoyable gameplay to mine out.

I agree with this 100%. Yep, they are consoling the hell out of this title, and making it very accessible to everyone. But amidst all the garbage, there might be some fun to be had with this game. You don't have to use Focus. You can turn almost all of the UI off. You aren't forced into combat. You can even set up the game to ghost or ironman. Sure, the thing is never going to be pure Thief like the original games and TDM. But it still might be OK. As I said over on TTLG, if the levels aren't small like TDS, then this game might be really good on the level of Dishonored or DXHR.

That said, I think the two biggest failures by EM in this whole situation was 1) not using Stephen Russell, and 2) not providing an editor to the fans. Both were doable, and they would have won over a lot of people if they have done it. Even releasing the editor as DLC would have been acceptable, and you'd think will all the 1000 or so FMs out there, they would have seen a decent market for it.

Edited by brethren

He only kills as a last resort

Yeah, it must have been a last resort for him to break a trained warrior's neck with his bare hands. :rolleyes:

1:38 in story trailer.

I'm going to make a prediction that I hope I'm wrong about:

The entire "reboot" angle turns out to be absolutely unnecessary--Erin IS the girl from the end of TDS, and all the plot points could have easily followed naturally from what had gone before--but Eidos simply wanted the freedom to get rid of all the stuff they didn't really like from the originals (and we know there's a lot).

• Like 2

Trailers are done by marketing people, and trailers for all the previous games included a decent amount of violence and non stealthy stuff. Garrett shooting guards with broadheads, fire arrows, and knocking them out with his blackjack. It's nothing new.

Trailers are done by marketing people, and trailers for all the previous games included a decent amount of violence and non stealthy stuff. Garrett shooting guards with broadheads, fire arrows, and knocking them out with his blackjack. It's nothing new.

That's a false argument in the case of Thi4f, IMO. Stealth was not an established genre back then and developers and publishers alike were not really sure how to market the game at that time. Stealth gained a lot of popularity after Thief 2 and there's, what, an almost 10 year gap between TDS and Thi4f? They have no excuses for doing what they did in the recent trailers, especially when they say that we can play very stealthily. They never showed that, only violence.

But hey the devs said they wanted to have the modern audience, and it's almost exclusively made of dudebros wanking each others off about their K/D ratio on Call of Duty.

Edited by skacky
  • Like 1

trailers for all the previous games included a decent amount of violence and non stealthy stuff. Garrett shooting guards with broadheads, fire arrows, and knocking them out with his blackjack. It's nothing new.

I'd submit that having Garrett break a guard's neck with his bare hands is something new.

Not trying to be an EM apologist, but I think emphasizing stealth in a game trailer is difficult. It's easier to show action. But to me personally, it just doesn't matter because I won't be playing that way. That said, if players are just able to tank their way through the game, I'll be disappointed just from a philosophical standpoint.

On that note, I'm going to be very curious how sensitive the AI are in New Thief. Will you be able to run around a level and/or just run up to an AI and KO him without him hearing you, like in Thief? Or will it be a little tougher, ala TDM, where you pretty much need to crouch and creep everywhere?

@Springheel - I don't follow, why is that so different than putting a broadhead in someone neck - just because it's close quarters?

Edited by brethren

It's different because it ramps up the combat skill Garrett is supposed to have. Shooting a guard in the head from the shadows is something you could reasonably expect a thief to do. Breaking an armed guard's neck (he's even got his sword out already!) with your bare hands is something only highly trained warriors and superheroes do. Garrett is not supposed to be either one of those things, I would argue.

post-9-0-35977200-1386611486_thumb.jpg