The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Requiem by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2013/10/6)

Moonbo

Poll: Requiem (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Story

Thanks STiFU, I hope you enjoy the book as much as you did the game! Let me know if you have any feedback if/when you finish it :smile:.

And thank Obsttorte for those custom AI, his scripts are really what brought them to life.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I just had the pleasure of finishing this yesterday. Took me about 5 1/2 hours from start to finish which is about half? of a lot of modern triple A games released these days? Wow, just unbelievable the work you've put in here. I can't say enough about the experience.

Each section of the game felt like a new chapter in the adventure the player undertakes and all the sections were masterfully woven together seamlessly to provide what felt like, by the end, a full campaign.

You had me wrapped up in the characters and the stories and that is the reason, personally, that I play single players games.

Some of the set pieces and character setups were utterly fantastic. Some words that popped in to my head during my play-through were: captivating, enchanting, and awe inspiring.

The musical choices, dialogue, readables, and set pieces, were all synergistic in painting a beautiful vision that I, as a player, felt apart of and for that I applaud your efforts and thank you for this gift you have given to the TDM community.

You give all the excellent mappers here yet another fine example of something to strive towards.

All I can say is, more please... more.

• Like 1

Where do I begin...

The pacing? The player involvement? The aural/visual asthetics? The fluidity and progression of the story? The technical level design? The fact that I never got hung up on anything, was always moving forward, and was ALWAYS completely entertained and engrossed?

This is clearly the best Darkmod FM ever created, and my only complaint is that I wasn't a part of it.

You guys are too kind :smile:. I'm really glad you've enjoyed it as much as you have! Btw, check out FenPhoenix's Let's Play if you haven't yet - it sounds like he's getting into the FM after a rough start: (

) . Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Did I have a rough start? I guess if by "rough" you mean "I suck at the game" then sure :laugh:

It's been a long and awkward road for me and The Dark Mod, but I'm finally starting to seriously enjoy it. And holy crap, my first TDM vid was in February 2012... I've come a long way from calling the non-pausing books "the worst feature ever implemented in any game ever" :blush:

More relevantly, I'm really loving this mission. I guess I'm not that far through yet(?) but things keep getting more interesting the further I go, so I'm always looking forward to playing more!

Edited by FenPhoenix
  • Like 1

Hey Fen!

Yeah, I didn't mean any insult or anything :-). I'm a huge fan of your LP's and I've probably watched all of your Thief videos. I actually don't like missions where I can get lost easily and so I have never actually played Broken Triad/Rockbourg/King Story but got to experience them vicariously through your vids. Also your LP of The Tower was what introduced me to Lady Rowena's FMs, and she is by far my favorite FM author. So the reference to you in Requiem is sort of a silly thank you. The whole thing with the non-highlighting head is actually a bug in The Dark Mod; most AI's for some reason won't have their head highlight when you frob their bodies. I think it's just particularly noticeable in the model I used because the head/hair is relatively large.

Anyways, it's a blast to see you playing the mission, and I check every day for the next installment :smile:.

-Sun Myung Moon

I just registered to this forum to give my compliments, Moonbo, this is an amazing work!

I had a blast playing this mission. The atmospheric mood, the setting, the storytelling and the story itself, some very neat ideas here and there. The level itself is huge, amazingly consistent, and it gave me the feeling that I am pretty much lost.. It's immersive as hell. Aesthetically beautiful, the design is superb, and the music is top notch.

I love the how the mission and the mood changes after Markus' betrayal, how it goes from a seemingly routine thieving mission to a mystical survival horror, slowly introducing the remnants of a religious cult and its kings. My favorite moment was definitely when Bolen, after surviving the cruel, menacing and claustrophobic horrors of the temple, finally drops the Soul Jar into the lava, the Hammerite music kicks in, and with that, the thought and feeling of redemption and comfort, that it's all over.. The souls of all those monstrosities can finally rest in peace, and we have just saved The City with much sweat and blood.

Going back to the fence's place with that music was very uplifting, even with the thought that no one will know what we just did.. But seeing the light of the day (well in this case, the night :) ) again after all the underground horror, was very comforting.

Well maybe I got a little too carried away, but that moment my friend was pure genius right there. Congratulations!

So I just (kind of) cleared the first area, and you can already colour me impressed. This mission is super polished, and I really like that supplies are just laying around rather than starting the mission with a full pack. Highlight was

finding the little gambling area on the roof after finding the rope arrow in the chest after finding the cellar. Very neatly done!

But I'll be sure there'll be many more highlights to come.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

This FM truly has so many original ideas and jawdropping implementations to enjoy.

For me it play as an adventure than a classic Thief heist, something I think Shadowhide did try to archive with his FM "Winter Harverst". Requiem proves TDM fits that type of FM excellent as well.

An awesome FM indeed! And what a large one on top on that... (spend over six hours to explore and playthrough)

Congrats' Gelo for your huge archivement!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Hey guys,

@beyondthesun, thanks for sharing that :smile:. I had planned that sequence to feel that way (it might be a little bit cinematic, but I guess that's the writer in me) so it's good to hear it turned out alright.

@fllood, wow six hours, you must have really turned the map inside-out! Hope you at least got 100% loot for your troubles :P.

@Sodosma, I hope the experience keeps up :smile:.

-Sun Myung Moon

I've just finished this FM and yeah, I suppose it's alright for your first attempt. Just kidding! It's bloody Awesome! I enjoyed every second of it. I really hope that you stick around and make more masterpieces for TDM. Thank you for all the time and effort that you put into this Moonbo.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Just finished this. Absolutely amazing storytelling, runs very smoothly (there was only one area where I would drop frames like mad, and only if I was looking the wrong way). However, I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the first bit, simply because there were so many undead and I hate the undead. I do not think they make for a fun gameplay mechanic.

But since I was playing already anyway, I decided to finish the mission. Only at one point I got kinda stuck (very close to the end because I hadn't seen the trapdoor) and decided to look it up in the thread rather than getting mad at the mission.

Some really cool gameplay mechanics, like

The lighting dudes, though I think they were a little too hard. I liked the crown mechanic as well, though it was used only once and that was it. Also on getting the third seal, spawning enemies. Cool tricks and stuff, though I saw that last one coming from miles away and even shot a water arrow at the torch right near the upper door before going down, which saved my ass later on.

The way you introduced things was very good as well, very smoothly.

All in all I'd very highly recommend it if you don't mind the undead being a major part of your mission, but it's not really a mission for me. Still, I really (really really) liked the outer areas a lot.

Also, I have so many questions:

What happened to the Greengrocer? (didn't do the optional quest)

What happens to Brother Markus?

Did Hakar set you up? What will happen to him?

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Hey 161803398874989 (there has to be a story to go along with that name),

Thanks for playing through the whole mission, even though undead aren't your thing.

About Hakar:

No, he didn't set you up, he was duped by Markus's scheme just like Fen and the others. You can find and read his journal to get more insight into his frame of mind.

About the Greengrocer:

Hint:

Go to his house and look up.

Exact answer:

To find out what happened to the Greengrocer you need to get inside his house (it's the tall-ish building to the left of the starting house). The way to do this is to mantle or use rope arrows to get into the uppermost window. You can complete this side quest before or after you defeat The Evil, however if you complete it after defeating the Evil there will be a sequence you will miss out on.

About Brother Markus:

There is a hidden objective which allows you to give him his comeuppance. All I'll say is to look very carefully in his office, and if you find what you should be looking for, then think about who might interested in it.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

About Brother Markus:

There is a hidden objective which allows you to give him his comeuppance. All I'll say is to look very carefully in his office, and if you find what you should be looking for, then think about who might interested in it.

Is that still there after completing everything else or do you have to find it before leaving the room for the first time

I ask because I can't find anything when going back there after the main objectives are achieved

WOW! What can I say that hasn't been said already! Absolutely fantastic!

I started off feeling a little lost but once I got going, everything, throughout the whole mission flowed. Your readables were just enough help to keep going. And go I did, it took me 8 hours not including a few reloads with the new enemy, and I got all but one piece of loot which is why it took so long - lots of nooks and crannys. I had missed the green grocers loot (red as it was) but had gone back in and dug it up. ^_^ I had some lag in the area just outside of the temple with all the zombies but nothing that really caused any problems playing. To figuring out what "earth" was I did have to read here so that slowed me down for a bit. It was really creeeepy after I picked up the jar and they were all just watching me, wherever I went. Gave me the shivers. I liked the new AI except I found it difficult to tell where they were as their footsteps seemed to echo a lot (could be my settings) so relied on sight and timing to get through them. One of my favorite spots was after I dropped the jar, I could take my time searching for loot all the way back to the tower/house? If my missing loot is between there and the arch I guess its gone because I searched everywhere else at least twice. Oh well. I did wonder about the book I got from under Brother Markus office - was an objective or something like that supposed to come up as nothing happened? Or did I miss something?

Thank you for all your obviously hard work. Look forward to more from you!

Hey Thiefette,

Thanks for the detailed write-up, and I'm glad you had a good time!

For the loot, I'm not sure if these are what you missed, but there are two pieces in the city section which are only available if you grab them before you get caught by Markus. The first is in the requiem service inside the church and is a bag of loot on the waist of the parishoners, the second is in the crypt and is a holy symbol inside Father Hanno's sarcophagus. Both of these will disappear (technically teleport up to the blue room) after you descend into the caves.

For Father Markus's journal (good eye finding that by the way), there is a hidden optional objective you can complete with it. Just think about who might be interested in the contents of the journal.

-Sun Myung Moon

Hey Thiefette,

Thanks for the detailed write-up, and I'm glad you had a good time!

For the loot, I'm not sure if these are what you missed, but there are two pieces in the city section which are only available if you grab them before you get caught by Markus. The first is in the requiem service inside the church and is a bag of loot on the waist of the parishoners, the second is in the crypt and is a holy symbol inside Father Hanno's sarcophagus. Both of these will disappear (technically teleport up to the blue room) after you descend into the caves.

For Father Markus's journal (good eye finding that by the way), there is a hidden optional objective you can complete with it. Just think about who might be interested in the contents of the journal.

I got the bag of loot on the hip but don't remember if I got the holy symbol - there was so much loot - which I loved by the way. As for the journal I'll have to go back and give it another go as I was thinking Hakar but I guess that really doesn't make sense. :laugh:

Thanks again. Edit -

I went back in and gave it to the good Captain good to know the brother will get what's coming to him. ^_^ Also decided to have one more look for my loot. I knew it was something small as I had ...74 out of ...75 so thought about where I'd picked up loose change and since I was back at the beginning of the mission started there - missed the one on the ground Yay, got it all! :D

Edited by Thiefette
  • Like 1

Oh dear. I overslept this morning, because of you and your mission! Just had to push it through last night and it took me 4 hours and 40 minutes to do that!

I enjoyed it thoroughly. The pace, level of detail, that thiefy feeling, ambient music and especially the special few moments and puzzles. Very, very good mission overall. I think difficulty was spot on, it required patience and boldness at the same time. I hadn't played any other mission in 2.0 yet, so the nasties were quite frightening at times. And creepy...

I'm still in awe of how relaxed and fulfilled I was at the end. Accomplished, you might say. The ambient music and sound really sets the tone of mission on it's various steps, like just before requiem the ambient tune is just spot on and I lingered outside the church, looking for new places and loot, mainly because of that tune. It just got me carried away for a while.

I think this shows what you can do when you have a story to build a mission to. I don't think you did the story on a whim, maybe some changes, but overall you must have had it pretty much nailed down and just went with it, making the game work for the story. Truly, this hits my personal top 3 straight away.