The Dark Mod Forums

Stephen Russell

Loa4ever

Didn't see this, thanks for posting!

I read that the reason his voice wasn't being used was because the THIEF 4 used a body capture system to record the voice of Garrett and that Stephen wasn't available to fly to the studios to record this way, or he couldn't move about to record this way.

In the previous THIEF games, all he did was stand in front of a microphone to record lines, and didn't have to have different mic's positioned and sensors on different parts of the body.

Still, I am partial to his voice representing Garrett, and it is indeed one of my favorite character voices in all games I've played.

Didn't see this, thanks for posting!

I read that the reason his voice wasn't being used was because the THIEF 4 used a body capture system to record the voice of Garrett and that Stephen wasn't available to fly to the studios to record this way, or he couldn't move about to record this way.

In the previous THIEF games, all he did was stand in front of a microphone to record lines, and didn't have to have different mic's positioned and sensors on different parts of the body.

Still, I am partial to his voice representing Garrett, and it is indeed one of my favorite character voices in all games I've played.

See the thing is that isn't an excuse.. A character who has been critically acclaimed for feeling realistic and really pulling you into the world is Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite.. funny thing is they had a different voice actor than the physical actor who did the motion capture.

So that excuse really does not stand nor make sense.

I want to know the REAL reason why they didn't choose him but I doubt we would ever know due to NDA's.

It really pisses me off that they replaced Garretts voice because if they had done so with a better voice it would be no problem but no offence to Romano but he just doesn't really suit the part.. he was great in Assassins creed but he just does not have the same cool underdog sarcastic almost asshole type undertone of Garrett that we all know and love. It's like he is aiming for a Christian Bale batman type thing with forcing his voice to go into areas where it should not because he is either not trained or just not able to.

• Like 3

So that excuse really does not stand nor make sense.

Especially when you see the quality of lip-synching in all the Thief footage we've seen so far. It's shit.

• Like 3

I was unaware that Elizabeth's voice for speaking was different than the voice used for motion capture. I've only played through Infinite one time. I had the ending pinned before I beat it. Well, at least the part of who Booker is and who Comstock is. I didn't get the whole time warp thing till it was explained.

My guess is that is that it came down to the almighty dollar, as well as availability to make deadlines.

The new THIEF seems to to be focused on just city watch, the Baron, and stealing. I've yet to see anything regarding Hammers, Pagans, Keepers, or the likes that were part of the original back story. The game is not released yet, so perhaps they are holding back to surprise the player (fingers crossed).

I'm anticipating something grand, given Eidos owns all IP concerning the THIEF series, but will be let down if they forsake the world that was present in the previous three games.

The market for this game is for kids who at this point (14-16, whatever), they were never exposed to the original THIEF franchise, so it won't make a difference either way, because they weren't born or able to play THIEF when it was released to the world.

I've also read that jumping/mantling is restricted to certain areas. Oh Builder forbid them from possibly wanting to make an entrance that would force the player to continue a linear level design instead of having the option to approach the mission from whatever angle or entrance that the player is able to execute.

If we were getting something from Thief in the style of say L.A. Noire then I would be impressed but realistically I feel like we have lost an incredible voice actor for the main character and not really gained anything.

Dia[/i] timestamp='1386807123' post='328424']

If I could ask a favor of a stranger, I would really appreciate it if you would not share this email address. Maybe it's the lingering Garrett in me, but I've always preferred to keep a low profile.

LOL

Edited by Jon Irenicus

The reason was that Eidos Montreal chose not to use him because he wouldn't have been able to do his own stunts for the so called state of the art motion capture. Apparently this approach creates a more believable character because the voice belongs to the actor...given the example of Elizabeth in Bioshock being made up of 3 different women, the reason doesn't hold any weight.

Even if Russell returned, I cringe simply thinking about him reading lines as insipid as the ones seen in the game's narrative thus far.

I can hardly blame his replacement Orzari for his performance because of how god awful the script is.

I thought Russell's absence would be the biggest hole in this game. Oh how wrong I was.

Oh, and also, though Stephen Russell is recognized unanimously as Garrett, he was absolutely brilliant as Father Karras in Thief II: The Metal Age. I still hold Karras highly as one of the best characters in the series. I was shocked to discover that the voice of Garrett was also that of Karras, though it does bring to the table a beautiful dichotomy. Two opposing forces with opposing ideals and voices coming from the same voice. Ironic, I suppose.

Edited by Nacht7
  • Like 2

Indeed. He does quite a lot with the Garrett, Benny, and Karras voices aside from timbre, that range over more than cookie-cutter emotions.

Exactly! To quote

, his performance is woven throughout the entire franchise. He was a vital component to the series, and simply shrugging him off as if this replacement were no big deal is a huge mistake for a game as auditory as Thief is.

Thank you for that list. Do you know if Stephen also did the voice for Benny's fellow guard? The one that had to keep on explaining things to him. I think that I read somewhere that his name was Sinclair. I could be wrong about that.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker