The Dark Mod Forums

Chronicles of Skulduggery: Pearls and Swine

Bienie

Here's a list of all 11 secrets, just in case anyone gets stuck:

5. A ladder leads to the attic of the "The Raven's" next victim. There's a painting beside some boxes.

10. Beneath the stairs in Duncan's secret study. There's a vase on the floor.

I have no idea where these 2 items are. Also, have no idea about the

light between foyer and main entrance. I was playing on the most difficult and switched to medium. I can't frob any light. Also, the steward's book mentions the church painting, but I could not find anything about it or a way to open it up.

Here's a list of all 11 secrets, just in case anyone gets stuck:

5. A ladder leads to the attic of the "The Raven's" next victim. There's a painting beside some boxes.

10. Beneath the stairs in Duncan's secret study. There's a vase on the floor.

I have no idea where these 2 items are. Also, have no idea about the

light between foyer and main entrance. I was playing on the most difficult and switched to medium. I can't frob any light. Also, the steward's book mentions the church painting, but I could not find anything about it or a way to open it up.

For the secrets:

Number 5 is in an apartment high up on the north end of Fletcher street. If you know the tunnel that connects the two streets, as you enter Fletcher street it's going to be the building straight in front of you up on the top floor. You can also enter this apartment by getting up on the roof of the inn from Maple Ct. and jumping on to the lip of the roof in the north west corner. Once inside there is a ladder next to the stove.

Number 10 is in the secret study, under the stairs. You have to frob the wall light fixture in the "main" stairs between the two entrances to the mansion from the streets. The light that is the closest to the ground floor is the one that is frobable (only part of it lights up when you highlight it, easier to see when the lights are turned off).

Hope that helps!

Edited by Bienie

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

For the secrets:

Number 5 is in an apartment high up on the north end of Fletcher street. If you know the tunnel that connects the two streets, as you enter Fletcher street it's going to be the building straight in front of you up on the top floor. You can also enter this apartment by getting up on the roof of the inn from Maple Ct. and jumping on to the lip of the roof in the north west corner. Once inside there is a ladder next to the stove.

Number 10 is in the secret study, under the stairs. You have to frob the wall light fixture in the "main" stairs between the two entrances to the mansion from the streets. The light that is the closest to the ground floor is the one that is frobable (only part of it lights up when you highlight it, easier to see when the lights are turned off).

Hope that helps!

I was in #5, don't know how I missed that.

The way the fixture was described in Lady Harrington's words it seemed like it should be broken or flickering. Probably why I missed it. I was 120 loot short. Have no idea where that could be. I did love the mission. Reminds me of classic thief with all the rooftop climbing. Thanks for making it.

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

A great mission. I had a lots of fun playing this. Much to explore and great secrets too. Tried it on hard at first, then, after finishing it, switched to Master just to find there are a lot more patrolling AIs in the mansion and a guard with a torch at the market who was a bit tricky to avoid.

I had this funny moment where I grabbed a candle, extinguished it and then placed it under the stairs, next to where I was hiding, thinking that if someone decided to relight it, he would not be able to - but to my astonishment it got relighted anyway (I guess it is a radius thing), then my lightgem became fully lit and I was quickly caught and brutally dealt with. I reloaded and after extinguishing and picking up the candle, I went to the garden and threw it in the nearby pond. No relighting after that :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't get the codes.

I have a readable note from secret room in parlou "Relic storage note", but i can't figure out how to link the list of relics to codes.

Sorry for the late reply. If you're having trouble figuring the note out

the code for each box corresponds to the relics in the gallery. If you're having trouble figuring out which one is which you can read the notes on each pedestal to see which one it is.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

This was pretty much exactly what I was in the mood for. I really enjoyed this, Bienie, thank you! I LOVED the secrets. I know it's different adding those into TDM, since there's no inherent secret system in the coding like there is in T1/T2, but I absolutely love them. Some gamers like achievements, or figuring out the tactics for winning a fight, or getting the best gear... I like exploring and finding secrets. The first one I found was

the ring in room 3

, and when I got the pop-up I literally... um, made a joyful noise, let's say. So I went and found them all! :D I also love secret objectives that trigger after you complete them (such as the 'would have been nice if' one commented on before about giving a certain someone's secret journal to his boss), since I also think those are great (and wish they were used more often), but at least we had the other, official optional journal objective.

The only issues I had were a couple climbing into/out of things (getting back in the sewer at the end, I had to jump into it from a standing position a decent distance away, as trying to mantle into it from nearby (crouched or standing) got me completely must-reload-to-fix stuck), but those were all easily gone past after reload/retry. SuaveSteve early in this thread mentioned the

thieves trove on the rooftop

being partially embedded, and yes, I had to randomly click until all I was doing was raising/lowering the lid to (I think) get it all.

Missing a bit of loot (3429/3500), and no way was I going to steal the tooth fairy's reward (SO glad I picked up the note first), but I found all the secrets so I'm happy. I look forward to your future FMs!

• Like 1

Very nice mission indeed :)

I liked how you tried to use every nook and cranny of the maps to give player some form of a reward.

And I liked the humor (son getting a present from a mother) :)

I was able to find 8 out of 11 secrets,

one of which I had to help myself to locate (noclip through the wall), because I wasn´t sure which light fixture you meant.

Also, I wasn´t sure if the one gold for the tooth fairy isn´t one of those secrets, so I took it to make sure it´s not. Then I loaded a save from a short while before. Even if it would be, I could not bring myslef to steal one gold from a child.

Also, I liked the lover´s quest - I am just not sure how they feel about explaining how did they found their diaries swapped in their rooms :)

Also, I have discovered "Up your ass" grafitti behind one of the barrels - is another secret somewhere nearby or is it just a flavour text? :D

Only thing which I would point out is optimization - the part of mansion with lady´s bedroom (especially when you enter through the double-wing door) runs terribly slow on my high-end PC, whereas others run quite well.

Really nice mission, looking forward to your future ones! :)

Also, I have noticed this strange graphical glitch, which was also present in Shadows of Norhtdale, so I think it has something to do with Nvidia drivers:

when looking at silver trays, they don´t reflect light like they used to, instead they are bright and when moving while looking at them, they have slight bloom effect. No other item from game has this problem.

I have 21.21.13.9135 drivers installed.

Some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/zzMRkhs

Edited by Tarhiel
  • Like 1

Finished this up today and really enjoyed it.

I found all the loot and all the secrets. When the first one popped up, I went "Yes". I love searching for them and I appreciate the objective checking off when I did find them all as then I knew for sure.

I also enjoyed the out of the way climbing to get to get things. Some I wasn't sure I could jump to but tried it when I found no other way to get to the open windows.

I did have a couple of issues. One was the jewellery box on the roof as others have mentioned. The other was a couple of items became unfrobbable - the switch on the wall for the painting and the vases in Cromwell's safe.

The switch on the wall I found & opened but guard was coming before I had a chance to loot it, so closed it up. When I went back to it, I could open the panel but not frob the switch. I had to step back from it and try again a few times and then it worked. This was basically the same thing I had to do for the vases.

One other issue I had but don't know if its related to the mission or the update to 2.06 as this is the first mission I've played since I updated. My quicksave's stopped working about 10 min. or so into play. My screen would say it saved but when I went to reload (since I'd fallen and injured myself quite badly) it was back at a previous point in the game.

Thank you for all your hard work and I look forward to more missions from you. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, three excellent reviews in a row! Thanks a lot guys, it really brightens my day.

This was pretty much exactly what I was in the mood for. I really enjoyed this, Bienie, thank you! I LOVED the secrets. I know it's different adding those into TDM, since there's no inherent secret system in the coding like there is in T1/T2, but I absolutely love them. Some gamers like achievements, or figuring out the tactics for winning a fight, or getting the best gear... I like exploring and finding secrets. The first one I found was

the ring in room 3

, and when I got the pop-up I literally... um, made a joyful noise, let's say. So I went and found them all! :D I also love secret objectives that trigger after you complete them (such as the 'would have been nice if' one commented on before about giving a certain someone's secret journal to his boss), since I also think those are great (and wish they were used more often), but at least we had the other, official optional journal objective.

The only issues I had were a couple climbing into/out of things (getting back in the sewer at the end, I had to jump into it from a standing position a decent distance away, as trying to mantle into it from nearby (crouched or standing) got me completely must-reload-to-fix stuck), but those were all easily gone past after reload/retry. SuaveSteve early in this thread mentioned the

thieves trove on the rooftop

being partially embedded, and yes, I had to randomly click until all I was doing was raising/lowering the lid to (I think) get it all.

Missing a bit of loot (3429/3500), and no way was I going to steal the tooth fairy's reward (SO glad I picked up the note first), but I found all the secrets so I'm happy. I look forward to your future FMs!

I'm glad to hear that you took the time to explore the map in detail, that is indeed the idea behind it... to scratch that exploration itch that some of us get while playing TDM! I've also always been an avid secret/hidden objective-hunter, and I had a blast figuring out where to put them in the map. I have gotten a lot of comments on people wanting the secret journal to be linked to an objective. It's not very hard to implement, so I think I will do that for v.2.

Sorry to hear that you were having problems going through the sewer entrances. I know one beta tester had that problem before, but after some changes it seemed to be gone. Thanks for your playthrough and feedback! :)

Very nice mission indeed :)

I liked how you tried to use every nook and cranny of the maps to give player some form of a reward.

And I liked the humor (son getting a present from a mother) :)

I was able to find 8 out of 11 secrets,

one of which I had to help myself to locate (noclip through the wall), because I wasn´t sure which light fixture you meant.

Also, I wasn´t sure if the one gold for the tooth fairy isn´t one of those secrets, so I took it to make sure it´s not. Then I loaded a save from a short while before. Even if it would be, I could not bring myslef to steal one gold from a child.

Also, I liked the lover´s quest - I am just not sure how they feel about explaining how did they found their diaries swapped in their rooms :)

Also, I have discovered "Up your ass" grafitti behind one of the barrels - is another secret somewhere nearby or is it just a flavour text? :D

Only thing which I would point out is optimization - the part of mansion with lady´s bedroom (especially when you enter through the double-wing door) runs terribly slow on my high-end PC, whereas others run quite well.

Really nice mission, looking forward to your future ones! :)

Also, I have noticed this strange graphical glitch, which was also present in Shadows of Norhtdale, so I think it has something to do with Nvidia drivers:

when looking at silver trays, they don´t reflect light like they used to, instead they are bright and when moving while looking at them, they have slight bloom effect. No other item from game has this problem.

I have 21.21.13.9135 drivers installed.

Some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/zzMRkhs

Really glad you enjoyed the mission, and gave every nook and cranny a thorough inspection!

I assume you mean the secret in Duncan's secret office? The light fixture is one of the wall lights in the stairwell that is above said office.

Yeah it might be awkward when they realize their journals have been swapped, but hopefully you stole some valuables from their apartments so they know it was the thief who did it. They may be broke, but at least they have love now ;)

I saw that "up your arse" graffiti in the editor and couldn't resist using it, but I didn't want it in plain view so I put it behind that barrel as an easter egg. There's really nothing connecting to it.

I feel like I've read something about the reflectivity of trays etc with regards to 2.06. I'm not sure if there was a solution or not, but you could dig around in the 2.06 beta thread if you want, there might be more info there.

Finished this up today and really enjoyed it.

I found all the loot and all the secrets. When the first one popped up, I went "Yes". I love searching for them and I appreciate the objective checking off when I did find them all as then I knew for sure.

I also enjoyed the out of the way climbing to get to get things. Some I wasn't sure I could jump to but tried it when I found no other way to get to the open windows.

I did have a couple of issues. One was the jewellery box on the roof as others have mentioned. The other was a couple of items became unfrobbable - the switch on the wall for the painting and the vases in Cromwell's safe.

The switch on the wall I found & opened but guard was coming before I had a chance to loot it, so closed it up. When I went back to it, I could open the panel but not frob the switch. I had to step back from it and try again a few times and then it worked. This was basically the same thing I had to do for the vases.

One other issue I had but don't know if its related to the mission or the update to 2.06 as this is the first mission I've played since I updated. My quicksave's stopped working about 10 min. or so into play. My screen would say it saved but when I went to reload (since I'd fallen and injured myself quite badly) it was back at a previous point in the game.

Thank you for all your hard work and I look forward to more missions from you. :)

Good to hear that you enjoyed the mission and found all loot and secrets!

As to your issues it sounds like the savegame thing is 2.06 related, not sure how an FM could cause that. The switches are a little bit finnicky due to a "target set frobbable" on the panel that can turn wonky if you flip it in quick succession.

Yours and others' comments about some of the other bugs like

the jewellry box on the roof

have convinced me that I should make a v.2 update with bug fixes. I'm also adding some extra content like a few side missions the player can complete for a little extra cash!

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this today, and I'm very impressed, especially considering this is your first mission! The map looked great, and was generally just the right level of difficulty.

I found the area outside the front door difficult (bright light and barely any cover) but considering there was another way in (I didn't notice) that seems fair. That was one place I got busted; the other was on the balcony because the guard was still able to see me even though I put out the lights--the ambient was brighter than I realized, I guess.

I enjoyed the secrets and the clues spread around. I also enjoyed seeing what you did with the modules, and was especially happy to see the sewer ones--I made those for a mission I abandoned years ago and that's the first time I've seen them in game. :)

Although I found the note about the tooth, I didn't even see the coin (or tooth). I took the note and dropped a fancy key there instead, hoping it might be worth something. :)

Anyway, thanks for the great mission, and look forward to the next one!

I used to suggest Knighton Manor as a good typical mission to introduce new players to TDM, but I think I might start recommending this one, as you manage to offer just about everything but rope arrows.

• Like 1

Just finished this today, and I'm very impressed, especially considering this is your first mission! The map looked great, and was generally just the right level of difficulty.

I found the area outside the front door difficult (bright light and barely any cover) but considering there was another way in (I didn't notice) that seems fair. That was one place I got busted; the other was on the balcony because the guard was still able to see me even though I put out the lights--the ambient was brighter than I realized, I guess.

I enjoyed the secrets and the clues spread around. I also enjoyed seeing what you did with the modules, and was especially happy to see the sewer ones--I made those for a mission I abandoned years ago and that's the first time I've seen them in game. :)

Although I found the note about the tooth, I didn't even see the coin (or tooth). I took the note and dropped a fancy key there instead, hoping it might be worth something. :)

Anyway, thanks for the great mission, and look forward to the next one!

I used to suggest Knighton Manor as a good typical mission to introduce new players to TDM, but I think I might start recommending this one, as you manage to offer just about everything but rope arrows.

Thank you, your feedback is much appreciated! I made use of your tutorial series heavily through the making of this mission, so it's great to hear that you were impressed ^^ I'm glad you found it to be a good representation of TDM, that is kind of what I was aiming for, an accessible mission that still offers something for the hardcore player who wants a challenge, or to find every little secret/readable/lootable a mission has to offer.

I felt that the main entrance was a good area to make a bit more difficult, seeing as the player would be rewarded for finding an alternate route in that is less risky. It's a bit unfortunate that three of the four entrances are past that chokepoint, I will admit, but at least there is still the window above Fletcher St. It is still possible to stay almost fully dark by mantling the marble railing and hugging the main entrance to get passed it fairly safely.

I'm glad you enjoyed the secrets, how many were you able to find? Trying to find out how many people find on average so I know if to make them harder or easier next time. I also wanted to ask you if you found the nod to "A Score to Settle" in the newspaper at the top of the stairs outside the inn? ^^

Those sewer modules are really nice I must say, they are fittingly claustrophobic and look pretty believable. The only thing I would have liked is if it also was able to fit together with the second sewer module set that is a larger tunnel system. The broken pipe does have a graphical glitch though, that seems to be z-fighting related, but I used a gravel patch to cover it up in my mission.

There is supposed to be a single coin next to the note to the tooth fairy. Maybe it glitched out for you, or you knocked it off when you walked by it (has happened to me a couple of times), the idea is that the player reads the note and is put in a moral dilemma if to steal a single coin from a child or not.

My Fan Missions:

Very gratifying to hear that those videos helped!

I did find the nod to Score to Settle, and several other tidbits in the readables! They definitely brought a smile to my face.

I didn't actually find very many secrets--only 3, I think, mostly before the mansion. I actually forgot to look for the button above the bed in the bedroom, and since I alerted the elite guard on the balcony, I didn't do any casual exploring in the mansion. I got in and out as quickly as I could.

One crit I forgot...there were more than the average number of spelling issues in those readable. Hit me up next time and I'll proofread for you.

Very gratifying to hear that those videos helped!

I did find the nod to Score to Settle, and several other tidbits in the readables! They definitely brought a smile to my face.

I didn't actually find very many secrets--only 3, I think, mostly before the mansion. I actually forgot to look for the button above the bed in the bedroom, and since I alerted the elite guard on the balcony, I didn't do any casual exploring in the mansion. I got in and out as quickly as I could.

One crit I forgot...there were more than the average number of spelling issues in those readable. Hit me up next time and I'll proofread for you.

I'm surprised you found spelling issues, I had a lot of proofreading help during the beta. There are a lot of readables that have intentional misspellings though, like those written by "less educated" individuals, and some of the newspapers are actually taken verbatim from 18th century London newspapers which were written in a very different style and certain words are spelled differently.

The mission has now been updated in the in-game downloader. The new version has some bug fixes, quality-of-life changes and some extra content in the form of side missions.

My Fan Missions:

"some of the newspapers are actually taken verbatim from 18th century London newspapers which were written in a very different style and certain words are spelled differently."

Oh, well that could explain many of them.

• 2 weeks later...

The mission has now been updated in the in-game downloader. The new version has some bug fixes, quality-of-life changes and some extra content in the form of side missions.

There is no update in the in-game downloader.

So, I downloaded the update from here :http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=127

Both servers have a 'dodgy' copy, where the pk4 contains the mission within a subfolder (!), which must not happen, as it can not be installed due to that error.

• Like 1

There is no update in the in-game downloader.

So, I downloaded the update from here :http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=127

Both servers have a 'dodgy' copy, where the pk4 contains the mission within a subfolder (!), which must not happen, as it can not be installed due to that error.

Oh my, thanks for letting me know! I took a closer look and it seems I messed up the folder structure in the updated version. I've remade the archive and uploaded it again to dropbox and updated the OP. I'll let the mods know to change the link in the ingame downloader. Hopefully all goes well this time!

My Fan Missions:

I can't seem to get the mission to display in my mission list after deleting it manually to install from the download list.

I think I'm missing something obvious.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

... I've remade the archive and uploaded it again to dropbox and updated the OP. I'll let the mods know to change the link in the ingame downloader.

I can't seem to get the mission to display in my mission list after deleting it manually to install from the download list.

I think I'm missing something obvious.

Yeah there is an issue in the in-game downloader atm since my archive was incorrectly packed. The one from the link above will allow you to manually install the mission, until we can get it uploaded to the server. Just remove any files in the cos1_pearlsnswine folder in FMs and put this .pk4 in there and you should be set.

My Fan Missions:

Oh my, thanks for letting me know! I took a closer look and it seems I messed up the folder structure in the updated version. I've remade the archive and uploaded it again to dropbox and updated the OP. I'll let the mods know to change the link in the ingame downloader. Hopefully all goes well this time!

Did you get someone to do this already?

Did you get someone to do this already?

I have let Goldwell, New Horizon and AluminumHaste know through PM, so hopefully one of them will update it soon!

My Fan Missions:

I just updated the mirrors but Taaaki's mirror keeps sending the folder inside folder version?

I might have to remove that mirror until Taaaki can explain why it's not updating externally?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Guess I should have looked here first, as I just finished doing the same thing, as requested in PM. Haven't tested whether it worked on taaaki's mirror though.

• Like 1