The Dark Mod Forums

[Feature Proposal] Frob to Use World Item

Daft Mugi

Here's the draft code patch so that folks who compile TDM themselves can give this proposal a try in game. And, if you do, I look forward to your feedback!

https://gist.github.com/daftmugi/41d0324107e8734f364bb3e50ff00794

1. Install TDM v2.12 (dev16829-10455)
  2. Get the SVN repo
  3. Download "r10455-add-frobhold.diff"
  4. Apply SVN patch: "svn patch r10455-add-frobhold.diff"
  5. Compile
  6. Copy TheDarkMod.exe and glprogs to TDM (dev16829-10455) directory

Or, @Wellingtoncrab has provided a Windows build. (includes new frob and new lean)

1. Install TDM v2.12 (dev16829-10455).
  2. Download @Wellingtoncrab Windows build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13lQig7Yzfc_jovU2zZklxLV1QOKAjkXe/view?usp=sharing
  3. Copy the TheDarkModx64.exe binary to your dev16829-10455 directory.

Or, @Daft Mugi has provided a Ubuntu/Linux build. (includes new frob and new lean)

1. Install TDM v2.12 (dev16829-10455).
  2. Download @Daft Mugi Ubuntu/Linux build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j7DoWBKuBAFdVH2Y-2LcYsgdtJNBabmn/view?usp=sharing
  3. Copy the thedarkmod.x64 binary to your dev16829-10455 directory.

I was quite beaten by the (once again...) wall of text, but, actually, the long press frob is actually quite a nice idea. I always found it tedious and cumbersome, to frob and then press enter to pick up bodies, or extinguish candles.

So, yeah, thumbs up for that idea by me. Question is why you can't just put it in a few simple sentences. ;) I mean, it isn't that complicated, and the change wouldn't really be big.

Edited by chakkman

On  the balance this seems like a good quality of life proposal. No functionality would be lost. The only complication I can see would be needing to make some minor alterations to the tutorial mission.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm still confused as to why players are having such a hard time pressing two buttons in rapid succession for shouldering a KO'ed guard.

Right click to Frob the body, and Mouse5 for shouldering. I'm like, old now, and I can still do it almost instantly.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

It's not hard. Nor would it be hard if you had to simultaneously hold down 3 different key modifiers, or enter a sequence of 5 directional inputs timed with key presses like a fighting game combo, and yet I bet you would agree that would be ridiculous.

For any software there is value in streamlining the most common interactions thathas nothing to do with accessibility. When most players click a body 95% of the time they don't want to nudge around the limbs, they want to pick it up and move it. When most players click a candle 99.8% of the time they don't want to move it, they want to put it out. It doesn't make sense for these most common interactions to require 2 actions when they could require just 1.

That's not to say that this is a obligatory change that will massively improve the quality of the game. You are right that it is a very minor thing, but if the willingness exists to create a patch to change it then it seems like a no-brainer to make it the default. That's my interpretation of this thread.

• Thanks 2

Whether it's easy to do or not isn't relevant if players don't even know they can do it in the first place.

Not even considering the number of comments I have seen about it, some of which are outlined above, from my own experience I remember being a new player and I played several missions thinking dragging bodies was "it" when it came to moving them around.

To my knowledge this element is not covered in the training mission. This is a lot more intuitive imo.

• Thanks 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

44 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

To my knowledge this element is not covered in the training mission.

It is, it's written down in the book on the table where you get the blackjack.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I am a little skeptical about this one.

I see it causing players to rage in frustration when they try to move lit candles and accidentally extinguish them

before using the candles to solve candle-lighting puzzles like the one in "Seeking Lady Leicester".

Also, mappers may have designed their missions in such a way that extinguishing candles is a timing challenge and auto-extinguishing via frob will spoil the challenge and tension.

If a mapper wants to configure non-moveable candles with frob to extinguish, they can copy what Goldwell and Sotha did.

If we were to include this, I would suggest it be an option rather than a replacement. Players wanting to override the difficulty of missions can choose the new mode but can switch back to the default behavior if a puzzle needs solving, etc.

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

3 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I see it causing players to rage in frustration when they try to move lit candles and accidentally extinguish them before using the candles to solve candle-lighting puzzles like the one in "Seeking Lady Leicester".

This is a very good argument and I actually had to adjust my patch to not break this mission. What I did is that only candles in holders are extinguished when frobbed directly. If you frob the holder, it is taken and the candle stays lit.

8 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Sorry I'm still confused as to why players are having such a hard time pressing two buttons in rapid succession for shouldering a KO'ed guard.

Possible doesn't mean that it's optimal. The Enter/Return key is about as far aways as it gets from the other keys used in the game.

A longer button press would be a perfect solution to fix this issue.

10 hours ago, ChronA said:

It's not hard. Nor would it be hard if you had to simultaneously hold down 3 different key modifiers, or enter a sequence of 5 directional inputs timed with key presses like a fighting game combo, and yet I bet you would agree that would be ridiculous.

For any software there is value in streamlining the most common interactions thathas nothing to do with accessibility. When most players click a body 95% of the time they don't want to nudge around the limbs, they want to pick it up and move it. When most players click a candle 99.8% of the time they don't want to move it, they want to put it out. It doesn't make sense for these most common interactions to require 2 actions when they could require just 1.

That's not to say that this is a obligatory change that will massively improve the quality of the game. You are right that it is a very minor thing, but if the willingness exists to create a patch to change it then it seems like a no-brainer to make it the default. That's my interpretation of this thread.

This is well written, thank you for your point of view.

I do like the video with the candles, as that's also when I'm usually doing when I interact with them.

2 hours ago, chakkman said:

Possible doesn't mean that it's optimal. The Enter/Return key is about as far aways as it gets from the other keys used in the game.

A longer button press would be a perfect solution to fix this issue.

I see. I would never leave an interact prompt like that on Enter, that's so far away from both hands.

In some games where I can't bind if to a mouse key, I would make it E or F or somewhere on that part of the keyboard.

I'll try the patch tonight.

8 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I see it causing players to rage in frustration when they try to move lit candles and accidentally extinguish them

This is a good point that I had not considered. Can anyone remember any specific missions that require this contrivance of having the player carry a candle as a light source to progress? I feel like maybe "In Remembrance of Him" used it, and it was one of many factors that made that FM almost unplayably frustrating, despite having very nice art. If there are others that used it better, I might change my position.

The counter argument would be that needing to move an extinguishable candle for light was always a problematic mechanic. If the player needs to emit light, then level makers should give them a lantern. Plus for those rare cases where an extinguishable candle needs to be carried for light, you can always quick-load if you put it out by mistake.  Quick-load excuses many sins....

8 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Also, mappers may have designed their missions in such a way that extinguishing candles is a timing challenge and auto-extinguishing via frob will spoil the challenge and tension.

I'm less persuaded by this argument. As AluminumHaste pointed out, the difference between 1 keypress vs 2 or even 3 (because you also need to put the candle down) is only a few milliseconds. If that routinely makes the difference of whether you are caught, and that thrill of walking on the razor's edge is what you live for, then bravo, you are an exceptional player! But I don't think most people are playing TDM that way, and if we give them this I'm confident you can find other ways to keep the game challenging.

16 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

This is well written, thank you for your point of view.

😄

I don't really see a reason this would be an issue in SLL. It be nice to see the feature in a dev build so more players (like me) can test it. Sort of like how we did testing with the frob highlight.

I also don't see a reason why there would be a compatibility issue either. Leveraging this sort of short press/long press for different commands on the same input already exists for gamepads in the TDM controller config. As daft says in his post if the delay CVAR is set to 0, then there is no delay for the additional command and the original behavior for all the interactions is restored.

But again it’d be nice to try it.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
  • Like 2

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

15 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I am a little skeptical about this one.

I admit that I was skeptical myself at first, but once I tried it in game, I changed my mind. So, I recommend applying the patch to a local build and give it a go in game. It's definitely better experienced than thought about.

before using the candles to solve candle-lighting puzzles like the one in "Seeking Lady Leicester".

Regarding the candle puzzle in "Seeking Lady Leicester" (SLL), I agree that this proposed change will make that a bit more difficult, but I disagree on the reason why. The released version of SLL has a flint in the inventory to ignite them, so accidentally extinguishing candles shouldn't be much of a problem. Instead, I think the reason for player frustration would be that the unlit candles highlight, showing they can be frobbed, but when the player does frob, nothing would happen. They might not realize the candles can be picked up with a long-press frob. @Wellingtoncrab and I had a discussion about that exact puzzle during the design of this feature.

So, what convinced me that it wasn't really a problem?

1. I tried it in game.
  2. Players will learn how unlit candles look and behave when frobbed.
  3. Like @ChronA said above: "When most players click a candle 99.8% of the time they don't want to move it, they want to put it out." I decided it was better to optimize for what players expect most often and do most often rather than optimize for rare cases. Players already rage in frustration that they have trouble extinguishing candles or don't realize that they can. Another quote from a player on Discord: "I'd even say the "some players didn't know you could extinguish candles by using them" thing is "almost any new player and a lot of old ones too", since I once had an extended conversation about exactly how immersion breaking and weird it was to have to extinguish candles by dropping them, and literally not a single person brought up the fact that [extinguish candles by using them] was possible."
  4. During beta testing, the struggle that some beta testers had with the candle puzzle was not knowing about object manipulation. They didn't know about the "Parry/Manipulate" keybinding, or they forgot about object manipulation because they did the training mission roughly 5 years ago and had not needed to do it in a mission afterwards. So, "long-press frob to pick up" is in the same class of player interaction as object manipulation. In other words, the same problem already exists in TDM v2.11.

I couldn't find the original screenshot from one of the SLL beta testers, but here's one similar, showing that the player didn't know about object manipulation:

sll-candle-puzzle-q.thumb.jpg.10923b2f58bfa3ec478561b4f79fbff4.jpg

If this is truly in a released mission, I'd like to know about it. We can problem solve for that case if it does in fact exist. I don't think we should concern ourselves with something hypothetical, though. And, I disagree that we should make or keep controls cumbersome for the player in order to add challenge. I agree with @ChronA here. I don't think players are playing TDM for that type of challenge.

If we were to include this, I would suggest it be an option rather than a replacement. Players wanting to override the difficulty of missions can choose the new mode but can switch back to the default behavior if a puzzle needs solving, etc.

The patch includes the following cvar:

"tdm_frobhold_delay", default:"300"                                                              
The frob hold delay (in ms) before drag or pick up.
Set to 0 for TDM v2.11 (and prior) behavior.

When "tdm_frobhold_delay" is set to 0, candles and bodies have the same behavior as TDM v2.11. As of a few moments ago, bodies didn't quite have the same behavior. But based on your feedback, I updated the patch (linked above) to make bodies behave that way. Thank you for your feedback.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

If I can get the patch to play nice with my local copy I can upload binaries here for you guys to try.

That would be great! Thank you!

24 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Though I would suggest that you open a feature request bug tracker (bugs.thedarkmod.com) and post this patch there, just so devs can be notified if they don't see this thread,

Already done: https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6316
(Also, included the patch link just now.)

• Haha 1

Ok the candles work well and I think I can get used to them.

However, when long pressing a body to manipulate the limbs, you have to continuously hold down frob button.

Also, you Frob to pick up the body, but you Use key to drop the body.

EDIT: Binary: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L0GmR5Jn79mGDWXNLzP4bsGzRo-Wnp0j/view?usp=sharing

• Thanks 2