The Dark Mod Forums

More [Oil] Lamps & Lanterns

Melchior

that_one_oil_lamp.thumb.jpg.edd4870a2203de92627729c7d4fb71cd.jpg

There is exactly one - quite overused Wall mounted Oil lamp (in bronze and Rusty bronze oooh). Its an indoor lamp fixture, used outdoors and as its a 'fancy' design - often in areas of lower-economic means too. It just looks 'wrong' in many outdoor places.

While I'd believe there is a Guild / Utility monopoly that mandates all same-age electric lamp fixtures to be exactly the 'same'...Mass-produced metal things can be hammered out by any Half-Ape Tinsmith with Metal-Shears and a Hammer, 3 an hour.

Just look at these random examples;

various_oilamps.thumb.jpg.b8061a1e410fc78a3884fe290258976c.jpg

These are a mixed assortment of 'Whale' Oil , Coal-Oil & Kerosene;  Lanterns. They work mostly how you'd expect - except the outdoor models ARE weather-proof, meaning the glass doors need to be open to be affected by water arrows / snuffed-out...

Also this; a Gimbal equipped Oil-lamp, could present quite the challenge as even IF it gets knocked over / tips - it stays burning!

gimbal_whale-oil-lamp2.thumb.jpg.03192db233ab49f5f86d3ce9257666fc.jpg

11 hours ago, Melchior said:

There is exactly one - quite overused Wall mounted Oil lamp (in bronze and Rusty bronze oooh). Its an indoor lamp fixture, used outdoors and as its a 'fancy' design - often in areas of lower-economic means too. It just looks 'wrong' in many outdoor places.

So you ask more lamps to be included in core assets and then hope mission authors will try to use them?

I would like to see multiple base models that can be coupled together to create different prefabs.

Edited by datiswous

Let's not forget about dragofer's wonderful oil lamps used in Down by the Riverside, Perilous Refuge, and many others

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 2

We have a whole folder of oil lamps in core assets since 2020 or so - for desks, walls, ceilings and freestranding. Also check out the vintage lamps.

• Like 1

Yes, I left it a little ambiguous as to what I meant; in that Both there is 1 particular model over-used AND that there are more lamp/lantern options available now.  (more and some form of Modular-lamp would be neater)

On 11/16/2023 at 6:24 PM, chakkman said:

I like the last two of those (bottom right). Especially the second last. Would work nicely in TDM, IMO.

I think that is a 'Naval / Marine' "Den Haan Holland" brand lamp; for yacht use...and apparently STILL-MADE (today). [or its not and its a 'Tung Woo' from the late 19th century, Marine/Ship wall-lamp...its hard to tell them apart]

Tung Woo Lamp

Edited by Melchior
clarity
  • Thanks 1

One thing you could try, apart from taking the time to make new models to fit your intended style, is to make skins to replace the materials of the already-existing oil lamps.

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i don't see pierced tin lantern anywhere in TDM. I think it can coexist with current TDM's theme. This type of lantern don't amplify light but it casts beautiful lighting patterns

Edited by taffernicus

hex-237553415B315D3741

On 11/22/2023 at 3:59 PM, Amadeus said:

One thing you could try, apart from taking the time to make new models to fit your intended style, is to make skins to replace the materials of the already-existing oil lamps.

Any Tutorials about this topic in particular? I'm interested in learning this.

Yeah, you can start here: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Creating_Multiple_Skins_For_A_Model

You can make a custom skin for just about every model in TDM. DR also now has a skin editor which makes this process a bit easier

Even _I_ missed the Punched Tin Lantern(s) ; apparently quite common & inexpensive 'back in the day'...seems a match for TDM.

(Too bad I don't know Blender & texturing tools, and/or DarkRadiant enough to make one of those...TODO?)