The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.12

stgatilov

8 minutes ago, datiswous said:

See this post:

So the best would be probably:

• If box is closed, whole box should have frob-highlight enabled.
  • When box is open, only lid should have frob-highlight enabled.

Something like this is already part of my Unofficial Patch and I guess Snatcher's Modpack too.

• Like 1

Could someone try to do the entity spawning via console? I can't get it working anymore. If I do the command, I get no error, but I don't get the item. For example:

spawn atdm:ammo_gasarrow

Does nothing

Ā 

Tested in 2 missions

Edited by datiswous

22 hours ago, datiswous said:

Could someone try to do the entity spawning via console? I can't get it working anymore. If I do the command, I get no error, but I don't get the item.

Work find for me on latest SVN.
I don't remember anything that could break it.

23 hours ago, datiswous said:

Could someone try to do the entity spawning via console? I can't get it working anymore. If I do the command, I get no error, but I don't get the item. For example:

spawn atdm:ammo_gasarrow

Does nothing

Ā 

Tested in 2 missions

and working for me as well. beta212-04

Edited by grodenglaive

Well I tried it on another computer and there it doesn't work either.

beta212-04

Ā 

34 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

and working for me as well. beta212-04

So when you do that command, you get an extra gasarrow in your inventory?

Never mind šŸ˜

Edited by datiswous

Btw. the wiki says:

Many controls can be included in the file Doomconfig.cfg in the darkmod folder so they are automatically effective.

Should this be:

Many controls can be included in the fileĀ Darkmod.cfg in the darkmod folder so they are automatically effective.

?

Edited by datiswous

Ah I didn't read this part (in bold):

Spawns blackjack in front of the player. Look up if entity gets spawned under the floor.

I think I'm going to change the text there. It's not very clear.

Edit: I changed it so it's more clear:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Console_Useful_Controls#Spawning_entities

Edited by datiswous

No exact ETA but early February was the initial target.

As i know, there is only 1 major regression but we have a lot of testing yet to do because the new light optimizations produce shadow leaks for a few rare scenarios.

( Would be cool if we had an automated tester / screenshot comparison tool like Dolphin Emulator uses to automatically test if engine updates affect visuals in multiple games. )

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

Ā 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

Ā 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Would like to remind of a notable bug that persists in latest beta: Sometimes when you kill AI with a broadhead arrow, TDM will crash instantly or soon after their death. I'm currently replaying King of Diamonds and got a case of that, previously experienced during another FM with one of the dev versions. Here's the qconsole.log once more, hope it's enough to help track down the issue... the one line I believe is relevant:

WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)

qconsole.log

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Would like to remind of a notable bug that persists in latest beta: Sometimes when you kill AI with a broadhead arrow, TDM will crash instantly or soon after their death. I'm currently replaying King of Diamonds and got a case of that, previously experienced during another FM with one of the dev versions. Here's the qconsole.log once more, hope it's enough to help track down the issue... the one line I believe is relevant:

WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)

qconsole.log 331.95 kBĀ Ā·Ā 1 download

Thanks for the log, I am guessing this might be:

I am guessing that it is a random occurrence?

• Like 2

Ā 

Ā 

Looks like we have one physics based regression?

Linux users get stuck at the start of mission "One Step Too Far" :

Bisecting...

mission works on 2.12 dev binary 10370

works on 10455

broken on 10518

works on 10488

Something between 10488 and 10518 caused the problem

Compiling binaries:

Rev 10498 is also broken

10491 works

10494 works

10495 works

10496 works

10497 works

10498 still broken. WINNER

If I revert this change, the problem is fixed:

original : vel += (vel * gravityNormal) * gravityNormal;

10498 : vel -= (vel * gravityNormal) * gravityNormal;

Maybe ifdef it for Linux @stgatilov ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ā 

Ā 

8 hours ago, nbohr1more said:
original : vel += (vel * gravityNormal) * gravityNormal;

10498 : vel -= (vel * gravityNormal) * gravityNormal;

Do you realize that the original code is wrong? šŸ¤”

In fact, it has been wrong since revision 2, i.e. since the very beginning.

Maybe ifdef it for Linux @stgatilov ?

Absolutely no reason to do anything special for one platform.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:50 AM, Daft Mugi said:

Found a graphics glitch in Accountant 1. Not present in 2.11.

Does it happen if you disable Frontend Acceleration and set com_smp to 0 (don't forget to restore it back afterwards)?
Does it happens with clean config (i.e. after deleting darkmod.cfg) ?

5 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Do you realize that the original code is wrong? šŸ¤”

What does the code fix actually fix? If fixing something breaks something else, it's i.m.o. not a (good) fix.

Ā 

Edit: I would agree that maybe it's better to fix the mission(s) instead.

Edited by datiswous

7 hours ago, snatcher said:

Reap as you Sow. Beginning of the mission. There's this weird thing going on that I don't see in 2.11:

I opened DarkRadiant and am now trying to understand how the sun lights were supposed to work.
No idea thus far.

Looks like an awful experiment with massive caulk overuse.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Looks like we have one physics based regression?

Linux users get stuck at the start of mission "One Step Too Far" :

I committed a fix in svn rev 10636.

Let's hope it does not break something else in player movement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 2:07 AM, stgatilov said:

Does it happen if you disable Frontend Acceleration and set com_smp to 0 (don't forget to restore it back afterwards)?
Does it happens with clean config (i.e. after deleting darkmod.cfg) ?

I found the setting that causes it. The glitch happens when anti-aliasing (r_multiSamples) is enabled.

EDIT: Bisecting shows that rev 10384 is the first commit to introduce this glitch.

EDIT 2: Happens when r_multiSamples is set to 2 (most likely) or 4 (less likely). When set to 8 or 16, it is still possible but less likely.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

I committed a fix in svn rev 10636.

Let's hope it does not break something else in player movement.

Thanks. Linux user and I play TDM at least weekly: Never noticed any physics issues myself, whatever happened in the FM must be a relatively rare scenario... that's a FM I haven't revisited so I was lucky to miss the bug then.

There is in fact a little problem in latest Beta, though it's so small I didn't bother to document it carefully, but I'll share the idea of it at least: If you climb into a tight space between an object and the ceiling and turn on the flashlight, jumping may cause the light to phase through the floor and disappear temporarily. Say you have a crate pressed against a ceiling where you can only climp and go in while crouched... if the surface is high enough to allow a jump but just low to force you to be crouched, you'll see the light source of the lantern disappear temporarily in mid air. Think I saw it in The King Of Diamonds, if it's important I'll boot it up again and noclip to get a viewpos.

Just to make sure you've seen my mention: Please check my message a few posts above where I attached a log, we have a crash where killing AI with a broadhead arrow can cause the engine to go down with a "tried to free uncached trace model" error... not even a main menu crash but one to the OS. It's pretty rare but if you fatally shoot AI often enough it will occur eventually.

Edited by MirceaKitsune