The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Eye on the Prize (4/1/2024)

Amadeus

6 minutes ago, Kopfrkingl said:

Siltstone should hand out free pumpkin pies at the festival to rub it in.

I was actually looking for a good pumpkin pie model while making this early on, but couldn't find anything

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heuli said:

Thanks for the great mission, I had a lot of fun

And thank you for playing!

Spoiler

If you haven't already, I recommend trying each difficulty, as they are all very different

• Amadeus changed the title to Fan Mission: Eye on the Prize (4/1/2024)

Congrats on the release!

I think it'll take a few days for the "reverse April fools prank" nature of this release to be understood / believed.

It'll probably be easier once this is in the mission database.

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I think it'll take a few days for the "reverse April fools prank" nature of this release to be understood / believed.

Thank you! And yeah, I don't think we really accounted for the potential confusion on an April Fools release, we just wanted to release silly missions. But thanks for putting em up on the database!

Nice little mission, I just finished it. I liked the amount of detail (something bigger missions often suffer from - lack of detail). Liked the theme, liked the humour. Not much not to like. :)

Spoiler

Had to smirk a bit about this:

Voice credits - Goldwell

... and the half sentence that he had. ;) 

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

Thanks for not only playing but leaving a comment as well, it means a lot :). This little experience has enlightened a love of making small missions within me, so I hope to release more smaller missions soon

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 1:54 PM, Amadeus said:

I recommend playing all three difficulties, as they are very different.

That's a great reason to play the mission again! Now the difficulty names make sense, I wondered why they were named like that :D

• Haha 1

Wow I wonder how you

Spoiler

Mad ethe seasons depend on the difficulty. Is the player getting teleported?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

35 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

Wow I wonder how you

Ha! You are welcome to crack open the map and find out :)

But what I did 

Spoiler

was make three identical areas, with three player_start entities that spawned depending on the chosen difficulty. Things got tricky with fog lights and AI, and some scripting, but overall it wasn't too difficult. I also really wanted to make three different loading screens for each difficulty but that was apparently just not possible

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Is this similar how it's done in Not An Ordinary Guest?

yep, I just used the "diff_1/2/3_nospawn" spawnargs for the player starts (and about a million other things, like loot, ai, foglights, etc.)

• Like 1

Minor criticism: I hope you include some backgrounds in the briefing next time. Only text is a bit of a boring read and it shouldn't have to be too difficult to include some background screenshots for example, but maybe it was intended to stay a mistery or you ran out of time.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, datiswous said:

Minor criticism: I hope you include some backgrounds in the briefing next time. Only text is a bit of a boring read and it shouldn't have to be too difficult to include some background screenshots for example, but maybe it was intended to stay a mistery or you ran out of time.

I was thinking about it, and it would have been nice, but that's five briefing pages for an incredibly small map. I'd practically give away the whole map in screenshots. That plus limited time/energy. It would have been a nice thing sure, but I did have other more important fish to fry before the deadline

9 hours ago, datiswous said:

Don't take me wrong but I personally think it's fine to use the standard intro text template for such a small map.

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I wonder about the alternative models for the arrows. Have they been used in other missions too already? I really like them, maybe I could extract them to my directory to use them in general for the game?

• Like 1

I think in Iris. So probably a custom thing from @Wellingtoncrab. I'm personally not sure about those. If there's no stick somewhere, how can you make an arrow out of it? But it's nice they are smaller so it's more flexible for placement and can be hid better.

Edited by datiswous
  • Thanks 1