The Dark Mod Forums

City Reference Pictures

Springheel

The floor, moss goes on the floor - hits self in head-

You keep posting great shots Melan, thanks! They've helped alot in my current map, I'm gonna use these too wink.gif

I just noticed in that second one, the row of bricks down the middle of the street, must be a water channel there. Cool detail.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Tonight's theme: Victorian slums. A heartwarming journey into the Cholera Morbus, smoking chimneys and people loitering about.

post-2023-128112886964_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128112894304_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128112906711_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128112921058_thumb.jpg

(Look at that carriage? It is, in fact, carrying Cholera Morbus victims!)

post-2023-128112929352_thumb.jpg

(continued)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The second batch starts a series of engravings from Gustave Doré's London: A Pilgrimage (1872), a giant exposé on the city's life and underside.

post-2023-128113065564_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113069018_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113074513_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113079055_thumb.jpg

(continued)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

More Doré. Too bad the engine/game does not do crowds of people well.

post-2023-12811308619_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113089051_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113090808_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113093472_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113095523_thumb.jpg

Back to miscellaneous pictures:

post-2023-128113102589_thumb.jpg

(continued)

Pictures of buildings, alleys and streets:

post-2023-128113112932_thumb.jpg

(A cheap inn)

post-2023-128113114813_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113116838_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113119067_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113120499_thumb.jpg

(Ah, early morning mist on the thieves' highway... too bad I can't jump across the gap with my lungs!)

A few interiors and backyards:

post-2023-128113125394_thumb.jpg

(See the TDM object in the upper right corner? That's right!)

post-2023-128113130651_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113132585_thumb.jpg

(continued)

Edited by Melan

And the final part ouf our series: miscellaneous pictures.

post-2023-128113149107_thumb.jpg

(Another area flanked by high houses - will visportal well)

post-2023-128113151574_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113155592_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113158185_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113160209_thumb.jpg

post-2023-128113161928_thumb.jpg

(Now this canal looks like a vile place...)

post-2023-128113164343_thumb.jpg

And finally, that's a Victorian back street from ... 1984. Ouch.

We will close by a report from The Illustrated London News, October 1863 - a description of Bethnal-Green, its housing and its residents:

Skirting the station of the Great Eastern Railway in Shoreditch, and traversing Club-row—the Sunday morning resort of pigeon and bird fanciers—the earnest visitor has only to cross the road and turn up Nichols-row, to find himself in as foul a neighbourhood as can be discovered in the civilised world (savage life has nothing to compare to it), and amongst a population depressed almost to the last stage of human endurance. Should he have started with an impression that report had exaggerated the misery of these dwellings he will, if he have the heart—and, let us add, the stomach—to inspect them, prove that no allowable strength of language could do more than adequately express the condition of the dens which surround Friars-mount. It is true that several of the main thoroughfares, though dirty and ruinous enough, do not indicate externally the teeming and filthy rooms, which can only be appreciated by a closer inspection. Even though here and there a falling tenement is propped up by a shoring-beam to prevent the wall from bulging over into the street, there are still the remains of poor respectability in some places; and ragged, dirty children, and gaunt women, from whose faces almost all traces of womanliness have faded, alternate with the clean-looking and even well-dressed families of some of the shopkeepers. Let the traveller penetrate further, and he will enter upon a maze of streets each of which is a social crime, and each of which contains tributary hovels many degrees worse than itself. They are not always easy to find, since, if they have ever had any names, the names have been obliterated except from the memory of the police or the City missionary, the doctor or the landlord; and the entrance to most of them is by a covered alley not wider than an ordinary doorway—nay, sometimes so narrow that a brewer's dray-man would be compelled to walk in sideways. At the end of this blind court there will be found either a number of black and crumbling hovels forming-three sides of a miserable little square, like a fetid tank with a bottom of mud and slime; or an irregular row of similar tenements, mostly of four small rooms, fronted by rotten wooden palings. In either case there are three peculiarities which are common to a great part of the whole neighbourhood. The miserable rooms are underlet and teeming with inhabitants to an almost inconceivable extent. The water for some fourteen or fifteen houses is frequently supplied from one tap in a dirty corner, where it runs for only a short time every day; and the places are mostly undrained. Add to this the decay of vegetable matter, the occasional evidence of the presence of pigs from adjacent houses which have back yards (these have none), and that sickly odour which belongs always to human beings living in such a state, and the result will represent a score of places extending over Bethnal-green parish for more than a mile in length and half a mile in breadth.

Edited by Melan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just realized something kind of funny.

This summer me and my girlfriend were living in a little cottage we rented kind of cheap for her work money. And I just realized yesterday that this cottage is older than the USA. And we've just graduated from Gymnasium (college).

It's nothing much to the world, but it kind of made me realize how old this town really is.

Edited by Tudor

great pics melan, and thanks for the images Springheel. They are very inspiring for sure!

I usually take in game shots as reference, because you can't make every detail of real life. So, when details are gone what is left may not satisfy. But in games what you have seen that you can do (in smiliar engines of course).

districttepcio0015.jpg

districttepcio0014.jpg

And from what game are these shots from?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

No, this is some sort Half Life mod based on undead-killing. I can't recall the exact title, unfortunately, but I think the team is mainly from Poland.

If that's Halflife (not cartoony enough for Wow) then the same scene could be made in TDM. That castle is a skybox castle. The player can't get to it, but unfortunately HL2/TF2 handle skyboxes better than TDM (TDM has camera headbob and/or world positiong issues). And it may be the camera angle, but look how funky that posterboard bridge to the castle looks.

You also have to look at the details. Look at how few details there really are in that scene. Lots of planks under the roof, lots of gables. But most likely objects that can be instanced or cut down on drawcalls. But most detail is just textures anyway.

With TDM I'd imagine any author would have 20 barrells, 15 AI, signs, torches and other dynamic lights/shadows, rats, trash,.... That's what is going to make that scene un-playable.

Either way it looks cool and there's no reason that can't be made to work in TDM, that's why the beauty contest idea is so good, maybe we can make some scenes like that that break preconcieved notions of what can be done/how it can look, etc..

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...

This place was only down the road from me... and is where i got the idea for the name of my recent compo map etc..

St Albans Cathedral - http://en.wikipedia....lbans_Cathedral

5060400506_8856b48499_b.jpg

The rest of the trip is on my flicker page, where I have created a TDM inspiration group.

Here is a Photosynth I created, click on the image to view -

5060267627_a400d0ef3b.jpg

I have uploaded the full 10MP images to flickers for anyone who wants to make a normal map from them etc.. I have some texture images to upload but have reached my daily limit so will up the rest tomoz..

also if anyone wants more details shots of specific parts of the place I am happy to go back take more shots..

Edited by Bikerdude

• 2 months later...

this entire site is an amazing resource for victorian/edwardian/georgian period houses or mansions.

http://www.bricksand...period_home.php

check out the gallery, or the design by style, room, or element areas. Excellent verbal descriptions of what you would expect to see, as well as pictures. I would especially love to see some models (or decals) for TDM that resemble the ridge tiles, and bargeboard sections for roofing.

Edited by ungoliant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Note for self and other mappers interested in vaulting:

There are some more ultra-useful architecture elements for mappers in here. Lots of pictures to whet your imagination and appetite:

http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/

Also a good place to learn about medieval architecture elements in general.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna save this for myself, but I not gonna have time to map for a while.

Some of our mapper heroes should make a FM based on this:

xecstasy19881919377.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5-tDb2g7qd.jpg

http://en.wikipedia..../Miranda_Castle

Damn.. That looks so foreboding I would not like to step a foot closer to it.

EDIT: oops, just spotted Stifu has already posted it here..

Well, more castles in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Belgium

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Wow, that 3rd shot reminds me powerfully of the first square in Transaction. :blink: