The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Yes, you need to make a skins folder in darkmod and that must be included in your FM pack.

In the skins folder make a plain text file any legal name and suffixed .skin

Type into that file this format:

skin <unique skin_name (can have virtual path eg, mymap/bluebrick>
{
model <full model1 path and name>
model <full model2 path and name>

<material1 in model> <replacement material>
<material2 in model> <replacement material>
}

You can have any number of models and materials under the same skin where the textures are common, for instance a sofa model and a matching chair.

Depends on size. In this case there are only four sides. Works very well as the edges are "inside" other parts.

I don't quite get this last part...If I set them on the same plane, they would Z-fight....or am I getting you wrong?

Haha, if I just could send you my top secret func_static_model I've constructed, you could see if it would be beneficial to make it in Blender...or if it's okay the way it is smile.gif Maybe if you would like to B-test it when the time comes wink.gif

You can email me, me user name @ gmail.com

Guess I'm wrong about the edge thing though, did a quick test and didn't get the results I remembered.

One thing that can help though is to not have one huge func_static, but to have 2 instead.

Say all vertical beams go into one func_static, and all horizontal go into another. So you try and get no touching brushes. Everytime they touch they cut each other into tris just like worldspawn does.

But world spawn culls all tris that can't be seen. in func_statics those tris are still there inside. With a model you can just delete them.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I don't know but that's a great looking chest.

Errrr... nice rack?

No.

But seriously, I like it; I meant that first bit... and then just got childish.

(I gotta stop looking around even more, I'm trying to cut back on threads like this because I'd rather come across these things in-game!)

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Those white lines are known in the mapping community as sparklies. It is more or less z-fighting which is where you have two surfaces that overlap or intersect and the engine can't figure out which to draw on top so it draws them both.

Rounding errors are the source of the problem. You can try snapping your points to the grid. You can also try filling the space behind the patches with caulk. That may or may not fix the problem.

Alternatively you could model those chests instead of making them with map geometry and avoid the issue entirely.

Edited by rich_is_bored

You can email me, me user name @ gmail.com

Guess I'm wrong about the edge thing though, did a quick test and didn't get the results I remembered.

One thing that can help though is to not have one huge func_static, but to have 2 instead.

Say all vertical beams go into one func_static, and all horizontal go into another. So you try and get no touching brushes. Everytime they touch they cut each other into tris just like worldspawn does.

But world spawn culls all tris that can't be seen. in func_statics those tris are still there inside. With a model you can just delete them.

Nice. I'll mail you when the design is ready and I know exactly how things turn out :)

Alright.

--------

I have a Q,

I have a conversation where an AI gets alerted, then needs to cool down fast to continue the conv correctly.

Can I set some vars on the AI ? Tons of settings, but I don't know which ones to change. I want him to ramp down from lvl 4 really fast.

Can the alert level be set by script?

Don't know. I'm wondering though, if you just want him to run off and disappear, maybe you could set up another AI, say a rat for him to chase after. Can AI see an invisible-textured AI? Or maybe a sound in another room. But this leads back to the problem of the alarm system which I still don't know how to do.

[EDIT] I should add that I mean a silent sound. AI never detect the audible sound that the player hears only a propagated signal level.

Alright.

--------

I have a Q,

I have a conversation where an AI gets alerted, then needs to cool down fast to continue the conv correctly.

Can I set some vars on the AI ? Tons of settings, but I don't know which ones to change. I want him to ramp down from lvl 4 really fast.

Can the alert level be set by script?

Once your AI goes on alert, the conversation is over.

I've asked for an enhancement to allow interrupted conversations to be continued.

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2246

Not nessecarily though.

He HAS flipped the switch after alert, but it's touchy. Sometimes he does it, sometimes not. It also seems to work differently depending on where I put that arg in the conv.

Currenlty there are two triggers. One the player triggers the conv, two the player triggers the switch, which send s him on his patrol. Seems like this CAN be interupted and still work...

Got to tweak it some more.

Still, he stalls a bit awkwardly between stages of conv and i think if his alert went down faster it would help.

I see there is a setAlertLevel(float newLevel) script event but I can't see how to set the AI it affects. Quite a few that don't name the entity. Maybe there is a script event to set the current entity which you call first then the action script after.

void michelle_calm()

{

$michelle.setAlertLevel(0);

}

edit

doesn't give me an error now wink.gif

Not sure yet if it's working -edit, seems to work, still the player has to trigger it so that it'll trigger.

-------

Is there a way to send a trigger from an AI death?

S&R?

Also, I want to trigger something after 30 seconds from a player going through a trigger once.

Do I use a count trigger? Or is that for counting items, not time.

The timing trigger goes every so many seconds, not just once AT so many seconds. Start it off? trigger once? how. lol.

----------

I have a trigger once, linked to a timed Trigger (wait 30, start on 0, target switch)...

But that switch gets flipped right away, doesn't wait 30 seconds.

A trigger_relay works with a delay, but I think trigger_timer is broken.

The only way I can think of triggering something when a person dies is to run a script that checks an AI's health periodically (if $ai.getHealth() <= 0). You might also use an invisible "kill-this-person objective" that runs a script upon success.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I've been reading a little about the hierarchy, what can func_damage be assigned to and why is it tied to idTarget when func_damagable is tied to idDamagable ...?

Is there a relationship between these as is implied by their names?

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The enemies in Doom 3 could trigger things upon their death. All you had to do was target them to something. Can you not do this in TDM?

I wasn't aware so I never tried.

However I just targeted a switch from a patrolling guard. At each patrol point thew switch would flip again, lol. So he sends a signal when he reaches a path_corner.

I guess it could be useful in some instances. Maybe auto lights in a cave...

Guess I'll have to try on a non-patrolling guard to see if death triggers.

-------------

OK, death does trigger a targeted switch. Even on a searching AI, but not on a patrolling one.

That's useful Stumpy. So, Baddcog, presumably all you need is to add to each of the guards:

death_script michelle_calm

As each dies then michelle goes back to alert 0. If another guard is there then it should immediately alert again but once all are dead then it quickly goes off the boil. Sounds like just what you want.

hmmm, that might work pretty good Fidcal/stumpy.

I was thinking along the lines of sending messages to a trigger_count.

Well....

Actually, I've got my conv working pretty good. And have a timed relay trigger that sends a calm message at the end, so the ai will patrol afterwards.

The main issue is still that the AI freeze on each other every third time or so. I'll try the calm message though , it might help break that cycle. Usually one ai is dead before the 'freeze' occours.

A quick question: how can I add a rotation to gear objects? I swear there was a tutorial for this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved