The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

For non-projected lights ...

If the lightbox isn't responding, or the Y direction changes if you're dragging in the X direction, then your light has been rotated.

Select the light and delete the "rotation" spawnflag. That will straighten out bad lightbox dragging, and won't affect the light's effect on its surroundings.

When I add grime and dark corners to the walls I create a patch and put it flash to the wall. But when I have a door opening I add three patches; One on both sides and one over the door. Is there any good way of making the seams seamless? There is a quite pale texture on the walls so even the smallest seam is noticeable...any suggestions on how to make these? As I'm working now I slide the texture around in the Surface Inspector, but there must be a more convenient way...I cannot get copy/paste to work any well because it's patches...

@Field

you need to copy/paste shader for patches.

hit ctrl-alt-T and you get the texture editor, you can drag around verts of a patch to adjust the uv laYOUT BETTER,(you can do alot with patches but it's more limited on brushes.

it will bring up ALL selected faces, so you might need to select one, move it out of the way, then select 2 and align them...if doing multiple patches at once.

for a doorway it depends. decals are non soild, so you can walk through them so one aross the doorway doesn't matter. but you need to adjust it so you don't have grime floating in the doorway.(in tex edit pull bottom verts up) that gets rid of dirt along the bottom though, so you might wan some 'strips of dirt along each side of the doorway.

but we could deffinately use more shapes and variety of decals for 1.03

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

There is a prefab called grime_U_around_door under misc. I'm not certain it is in the release but I think it is. Alternatively examine the grime around doors in the stealth section of the trainer and Heart (although you'd have to search because only some doors were done the right way.)

One way is to make a temp brush the size of the whole wall with the grime. Use 'Fit' then shader copy it simultaneously to all three patches around the door.

Another way is to put one patch, append rows and vertex bend them round then repeat. Finally use Fit. This method is more tricky. I can give more details if needed.

I have tried to make a large patch which covers the whole wall and used 'fit' on it and tried to use this as a template as Fidcal said. But when I copy the texture of the larger patch to the small patches it doesn't copy the textures as it is, but instead as if I've used 'fit' on the small patch...It becomes small 'fitted' grimings...

Edited by Fieldmedic

Is it possible to make a ledge/barricade unmanteable, without adding some sort of clipping brush on top? The goal is to make a wall that is unmantleable from ground level, but the player can jump down from above and land ON the wall thus getting over the wall. With clipping models this wallwalking wouldn't work very well...

yes i am setting 2 or 3 random pieces of each ledge in my FM with that property to make it more difficult to mantle, and feel more like Thief. maybe it will bring some more people from TTLG over here if they feel more at home with the gameplay, heh heh. :D :D

Edited by ungoliant

yes i am setting 2 or 3 random pieces of each ledge in my FM with that property to make it more difficult to mantle, and feel more like Thief. maybe it will bring some more people from TTLG over here if they feel more at home with the gameplay, heh heh.

That would just piss me off in game if random stuff was no longer mantleable. I think I would stop playing that Fan Mission if I noticed stuff like that. Difficult mantling was NOT a hallmark of Thief series but a huge, fat, frustrating mark AGAINST it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well he could be intending to only spawn the sections on a specific difficulty level... along with dumber guards and player footsteps replaced by 0 length sounds... and rename that difficulty to "TTLG" :huh:

Maybe I'm onto something here!

(and in before I'm labeled "Serpentine is Elitist?")

Fieldmedic, let us know if you run into problems, dont think I've seen is_mantleable used... so a bit curious :)

IMO, unmantling is something that should be sparely used and only with good motivation...

I have some features in my mission that may be confusing, but will be explained in a readme...

EDIT: Of course it worked with is_manteable 0 :ph34r:

This hindsight bias is going to kill me...The progress is allways like this: Fieldmedic finds problem. Fieldmedic tries some solutions without luck. Fieldmedic pester forum with ridicolous questions. Fidcal or another smart fellow answers politely the obvious solution. Fieldmedic feels like a dumbass...

Edited by Fieldmedic

This hindsight bias is going to kill me...The progress is allways like this: Fieldmedic finds problem. Fieldmedic tries some solutions without luck. Fieldmedic pester forum with ridicolous questions. Fidcal or another smart fellow answers politely the obvious solution. Fieldmedic feels like a dumbass...

Heeeey, you're not meant to feel like a dumbass!

It's all about diffusion of knowledge and without questions that process is something that either takes immense time in experimentation and wheel inventing/doc reading. This way you learn and so do other mappers... as well as google learning a new thing or two to help folks in the future :)

Well... unless we get Futurama-style heads in jars, walking around talking... then Fidcal wont get out of this very easily!

It's just that frustrating feeling of trying lots of possible solutions without solving the problem and then someone else just points on one place before your very eyes where the obvious solution is...

It's the same way when someone asks me to fetch something.

GF: "It's in the bottom drawer."

*Fieldmedic searches ferociously*

FM: "No, it's not here!"

*GF coming up to me, checks in drawer and finds the thing*

That must be the god of ass, removing the thing when I search, and when the other person comes, hi maliciously respawns the object...! :angry:

LOL Fieldmedic, I know EXACTLY what you´re talking about!! Really, you´re not alone! :)

But originally I came here for a question, well, it´s not DarkMod, but DarkRadiant:

I want to add AmbientLight to the Doom3-maps. I already got a little success after adding an ambientlight like I would do for a TDM-map, copying 'ambientlightinfo.tga' into 'Doom3\base\lights' but the ambient light is not everywhere. There are still pitch black spots, also I noticed that the AI´s in the first level (MarsCity1) are stuck, so it seems I have to dmap only after adding one light?

Or should I remove DarkMod from fs_gamebase in the DR-game-setting? But then I don´t have access to the DarkMod-ambientlight anymore.

Doom3 has two ambient-lights too (in the lightsfolder), but it´s not for the whole map it seems.

Did I miss sth? Or what would I have to copy/edit to have the AmbientLight available for Doom3-maps?

Or isn´t it that easy as I thought? I don´t wanna mod for Doom3, I just didn´t finished Doom3 and I changed a lot in the last months so I wanted to play this game from the beginning again, but this time WITH ambient light.

I found an ambient-mod, but that just adds an shader around the player, no real ambient, not what I want...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more