Photo

Fan Mission: Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position (2019/05/04)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

POPULAR

u5P2GRC.jpg

Story:

A local Brooksdale alderman and childhood acquaintance of mine, Miles Harewell, 'happened' upon me last night down at my local tavern. Apparently, he has to defend his position on the borough council this year and suspects that his chief rival, Edric Shorditch has an ace up his sleeve.

He mentioned damning evidence of dealings with 'various entities of dubious legality' as he put it. Sounds like hightowne-speak for good old corruption. He needs any such evidence to disappear tonight, while he has an ironclad alibi, being invited to dinner together with Edric to a local lord's manor.

He also wants me to find some dirt on Edric to help turn the tables on him. Miles is a natural born politician, but he is good news for my 'profession' so I think I will have to forgive him that. Besides, with all that rampant corruption of his, I'm sure he can pay his way and then some.

This Edric Shorditch is the captain of the local city watch, and has made a name for himself by taking a hard stance on crime. Slipping into the city watch station and stealing indiscriminately won't be easy, but it might help undermine his approval, while also clearing Miles' name.

Thanks to Springheel for the creation of the handy and pretty module sets.
Thanks to my beta testers; Amadeus, Goldwell, Cambridge Spy, Boiler's_Hiss, SuaveSteve, Tafferboy and Jedi_Wannabe!

Additionally, thanks go out to the people who frequent the Newbie Dark Radiant Questions thread for always helping troubleshoot issues that arise during development. You know who you are.

Download:

Available in the in-game downloader, or at any of these below locations:

Dropbox

taaaki.za.net

fidcal.com

southquarter.com

Gallery:

ej0LrdW.jpg

7rO2DcL.jpg

D4LqKaM.jpg

c3crijY.jpg

YOBYhw2.jpg

ReDWA9j.jpg

VlGiUXb.jpg

Hints, Tips, Walkthroughs, Spoilers(!):

- This mission will greatly reward those taffers who like to explore a mission thoroughly. It is possible to go directly for your objectives, but you will be missing a lot of content.
- Many windows are openable, leading to new areas or private residences.
- If an area seems hard to navigate due to patrols, chances are you can circumvent it.
- Those who like a challenge and some extra replay value owe it to themselves to visit the astronomer's office close to the starting area.

Spoiler

Disclaimers, Player Information.

Spoiler

Thank you for playing! What did you think of the mission? I look forward to your honest feedback!

Edited by Bienie, 05 May 2019 - 10:47 AM.

• HMart, Moonbo, Goldwell and 8 others like this

#2 peispud

peispud

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:42 AM

So far I'm really enjoying this. Thank you :-)

• Bienie likes this

#3 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

Hello Bienie,

Congrats on the release, very cool atmosphere!

You are releasing new missions at a breakneck pace.

Thus I came to the conclusion that you are a machine desgined for mapping! :)

Jack

• Bienie likes this

#4 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:35 AM

Hello Bienie,

Congrats on the release, very cool atmosphere!

You are releasing new missions at a breakneck pace.

Thus I came to the conclusion that you are a machine desgined for mapping! :)

Jack

Error 404, response not found. ^^

Edited by Bienie, 04 May 2019 - 02:36 AM.

• Tafferboy likes this

#5 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9518 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

Mission is up on the mirrors and should be available for the in-game downloader.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#6 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

Hello Bienie,

Update:

Spoiler

Conclusion: I think it is time that I come for your computer to have it smashed. I can't allow another AAA mapper here with all the other great authors already working here.

Thank you again for this mission!

Jack

Edited by JackFarmer, 04 May 2019 - 10:06 AM.

• Bienie likes this

#7 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Congratulations to the release.  B) 

This year's spring seems really fertile for new releases.

#8 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Hello Bienie,

Update:

Spoiler

Conclusion: I think it is time that I come for your computer to have it smashed. I can't allow another AAA mapper here with all the other great authors already working here.

Thank you again for this mission!

Jack

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it. You can accomplish quite a lot with stock assets, and just adding a few hand-built bits and bobs here and there (the god rays are a stock asset by the way!). Though I think for the final installment of CoS I'm going to be adding a lot more brushwork buildings and such, being set in a different town where the current module set we have doesn't fit in. I'm not going to rush it too much though, and have at least one non-CoS mission lined up before it.

#9 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it. You can accomplish quite a lot with stock assets, and just adding a few hand-built bits and bobs here and there (the god rays are a stock asset by the way!). Though I think for the final installment of CoS I'm going to be adding a lot more brushwork buildings and such, being set in a different town where the current module set we have doesn't fit in. I'm not going to rush it too much though, and have at least one non-CoS mission lined up before it.

Stock? Oh babe, oh babe, oh babe, I have to check this with respect to your map design.

Thanks for the hint!

Jack

#10 Gerberox

Gerberox

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

It's a very complex location, I like it. Maybe there are a bit too much ingame hints on master level, otherwise it's an excellent mission. Thanks.

Edit: I mean too much hints about unimportant loot. For example that long list near the start.

Edited by Gerberox, 04 May 2019 - 02:30 PM.

• Bienie likes this

#11 peispud

peispud

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:36 AM

I'm really really enjoying this mission. I think it's perfect :-)

• Bienie likes this

#12 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:17 AM

I'm really really enjoying this mission. I think it's perfect :-)

Perfect? wow, thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

• peispud likes this

#13 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:19 AM

Bienie, this mission is fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to create it. I've been looking forward to CoS2 ever since I played Pearls and Swine. 

This map is full of everything I love about Thief/Dark Mod; lots of little hideaways to explore, multiple points of entry to your objectives (I found 5 ways to enter the watch house), hidden loot all over the place, and it's all very atmospheric.

The detail you've put into everything is also great and your sense of scale is spot on.

I found 4351 loot and 9 secrets, as well as finishing the "ratter" challenge.

I encountered just a few issues: 

Spoiler

Hey, what happened to...

Spoiler

Thanks again for this awesome FM. I had a great time exploring everywhere.

• Bienie likes this

#14 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:18 AM

Bienie, this mission is fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to create it. I've been looking forward to CoS2 ever since I played Pearls and Swine. 

This map is full of everything I love about Thief/Dark Mod; lots of little hideaways to explore, multiple points of entry to your objectives (I found 5 ways to enter the watch house), hidden loot all over the place, and it's all very atmospheric.

The detail you've put into everything is also great and your sense of scale is spot on.

I found 4351 loot and 9 secrets, as well as finishing the "ratter" challenge.

I encountered just a few issues: 

Spoiler

Hey, what happened to...

Spoiler

Thanks again for this awesome FM. I had a great time exploring everywhere.

Thank you for the shining review!

It sure sounds like you took your time and explored the mission fully. I had to pause for a second when you said you found 5 ways to enter the watch, count them in my head and remembered that, in fact, yes there are 5 ways to get in haha.

As for the issues you mentioned:

Spoiler

• Kerry000 likes this

#15 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

Thank you for the shining review!

It sure sounds like you took your time and explored the mission fully. I had to pause for a second when you said you found 5 ways to enter the watch, count them in my head and remembered that, in fact, yes there are 5 ways to get in haha.

As for the issues you mentioned:

Spoiler

Ah, now that you mention it...

Spoiler

Regarding what you've said about the issues:

Spoiler

I'm real glad to hear that you've started on CoS3! I can't wait to play it.

Thanks again, and please keep up the great work. These kinds of highly detailed environments are the best :)

#16 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

Ah, now that you mention it...

Spoiler

Regarding what you've said about the issues:

Spoiler

I'm real glad to hear that you've started on CoS3! I can't wait to play it.

Thanks again, and please keep up the great work. These kinds of highly detailed environments are the best :)

Spoiler

I will certainly keep up the work! I've got a kind of experimental project in mind next, but I will work on it alongside CoS3.

• Kerry000 likes this

#17 Shadow

Shadow

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

Sweet mission! I'm still going thru it but came up with 2 issues that I can't get around...

Spoiler

Otherwise super fun mission so far!

• Bienie likes this

#18 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:48 AM

Sweet mission! I'm still going thru it but came up with 2 issues that I can't get around...

Spoiler

Otherwise super fun mission so far!

Glad you are enjoying the mission!
Spoiler

#19 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

Daft question , but can someone more enlightened than me let me have some information.
During this mission I havent been able to pick up unconscious bodies to turn them over/ carry them away to hide.Ive been into settings but cant see which action to change.I dont play very often now , but before the latest incarnation I think this used to be done with the U key? Which setting if any so I have to change to do this action again? Is there a reset button to put all controls back to their original settings? Thank you for any help.

#20 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

Daft question , but can someone more enlightened than me let me have some information.
During this mission I havent been able to pick up unconscious bodies to turn them over/ carry them away to hide.Ive been into settings but cant see which action to change.I dont play very often now , but before the latest incarnation I think this used to be done with the U key? Which setting if any so I have to change to do this action again? Is there a reset button to put all controls back to their original settings? Thank you for any help.

Somewhat counter-intuitively it is the use inventory item button, which defaults to Tab I believe. So frob the body then hit tab (or your use inv. item key) to shoulder it.

#21 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

Thank you , will try it!

#22 Shadow

Shadow

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

This actually worked. Thank you! Man that 

Spoiler
really makes you think how to navigate around!

Glad you are enjoying the mission!

Spoiler

• Bienie likes this

#23 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

This actually worked. Thank you! Man that 

Spoiler
really makes you think how to navigate around!

Glad you got it sorted out, it's kind of an engine weakness with TDM, but if you can recognize the bug usually you can solve it with some extra frobs.

Spoiler

#24 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

This mission gave me a good laugh...

Spoiler

And yes, that's where I got this name from. And... I don't think anyone else in the game says that line.

Edited by kano, 07 May 2019 - 05:24 PM.

• Bienie and Tafferboy like this

#25 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6317 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

OMG I had to stop playing just to post.

Spoiler

• Bienie and Tafferboy like this

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users