The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I like the contrast between the wood-panel walls and the wall-paper. :)

Yeah, in v1.07 stgatilov added the ability to choose your screenshot file format (jpeg, png, tga... Bmp?).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

thanks. was going to work on my map all weekend, got drawn into TDM stuff though.

Cool thing was these were all done 100% in DR :D

(however the export puts a long material path in the .ase

\\purgatory\purgatory\doom\base\textures\darkmod\wood\boards\worn_01"

which I suppose will need cleaned up manually if TDM goes standalone? it currently works OK like that)

paintings.jpg

the three paintings on the right were existing. I was looking for something smaller so...

The small (not shown, smaller square size of small round) and small round are 125 gold (smaller loot denominations was brought up recently), the miniatures (which I spelled wrong but am not changing all those skins now, lol) are worth 40 G. Small loot item so you just grab the entire object. 2 for desktops.

*one thing that's missing atm is a loot icon for the miniature pictures, I tried to take a screen, locked up and had to reboot :(

(the missing painting skins are buggered in that shot, but are proper on SVN [you see painting shreads instead of wall behind])

-----------

I also added skins for the window models and frames. No longer all milky clear, so anyone mapping with SVN can use them now. Still need to put a caulk brush between the glass of non-opening ones to seal them.

And I've touched up/otpimized, re-uv'ed all the door and window frame models.

Trying to figure out how to swap a skin on frob for the opening windows so they just turn to opaque white instead of glowing yellow/blue.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Nice!

You'll need to add the new ambient stages to the material for:

purgatory\purgatory\doom\base\textures\darkmod\wood\boards\worn_01

though...

(Unless you guys are already getting ready to scrap the "Ambient World system" for something better...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

How would those really small paintings be made? They're too small to paint by hand, aren't they? Desk frames of that size make me think of photographs, but obviously that wouldn't fit the setting.

How would those really small paintings be made? They're too small to paint by hand, aren't they? Desk frames of that size make me think of photographs, but obviously that wouldn't fit the setting.

Uhm, do you mean the 20cm by 15cm paintings? These are not actually small. They are painted by hand, with a small brush. Even a 2cm x 2cm painting is not impossible (lots of time, small brush, good eyesight or a magnifying glass). I know someone who regulary paints postcard-sized paintings.

I mean, the backs of wristwatches have been painted - how do you think paintings are made - with a brush like this?

http://www.123rf.com/photo_5264341_paintbrush-and-bucket-with-paint-on-wooden-table.html

:D

Btw, small paintings are much faster to make then big ones and need less paint, so not everyone had such big paintings like TDM has hung - you need the space and afford the painting in the first place. So smaller ones definitely make a lot sense.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

theese are fine to pain by hand.. Compare the size with the guards hand. You can make even smaller painting with relatively no problems..

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

I mean, the backs of wristwatches have been painted - how do you think paintings are made - with a brush like this?

Thanks for the link...i guess I don't know anything about painting, you know, other than doing it and teaching it. :rolleyes: (and for the record, I've frequently painted paintings with a brush that size)

It's possible small desk-sized paintings were done at the time, though they still look anachronistic to me...maybe it's the small, propped-up frames that are responsible for that rather than the size of the canvas. Even small paintings in that period tended to have very thick frames.

I've got a pile of canavses right here that are 3x3 and up. Those are probably 5x7 or so, so it didn't seem odd to me.

Mona Lisa is pretty old and isn't huge, I'd say no larger than the small square one I added. I was decorating my map and wanted one above my fireplace. The smallest one we had barely fit the space so it just seemed like they'd be handy. Plus people were requesting lower cost loot items.

But yeah, hand painted portraits in broaches are common on Antique roadshow ;) (just thought of new loot item)

--------

rugs are easy enough to do in the editor quickly, I think more than anything we need round textures.

Mona Lisa is pretty old and isn't huge, I'd say no larger than the small square one I added.

The Mona Lisa is 31 x 21 inches. There's certainly nothing wrong with that size, but the small ones on the table there looked more like 10 x 5" to me. Maybe it's screenshot perspective, which is notoriously misleading.

Living in DC and going to the museums a lot, I've seen quite a few quite small paintings, especially studies and sketches. (But if you look at those, they're as big as the guard's head, so don't think they're as small as they seem in the screenshot either ... if you were actually walking by them as a player.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah I'd say they are in the 8x12" range. certianly not tiny.

I agree the table prop ones might be a bit 'modern'. But it's always nice to have alternate stuff for desktops.

--------

fixed my wineglass_silver model. Now has proper shadows and is a moveable.

So for rough recordings how did they sound? obviously I got carried away with the effects on the demon lines..

I finally got to listen to these. The Benny one sounded a bit forced to me, but I liked the sound of "guard". I think a voice like that could definitely fill a niche.

The Benny one sounded a bit forced to me, but I liked the sound of "guard". I think a voice like that could definitely fill a niche.

Re: Benny it was a rough go at trying to sound like him for comedy purposes, as for the guard same again, but I pitch shifted my voice in the recording. But I can do a better guard with proactive that dosent sound much like my normal voice, and if we pitch shift that we could easily have another voice set.

Do you have the lines that the guards do in text form so I can do some lines etc..?

Thanks for the link...i guess I don't know anything about painting, you know, other than doing it and teaching it. :rolleyes: (and for the record, I've frequently painted paintings with a brush that size)

Well, then don't ask silly questions if you know better :) I mean, how do you think the colorful pages in the books where done? They were all painted manually, because printing wasn't invented yet...

Sayng that a A4-paper sized painting is "too small to be painted" musst have been a thinko/typo, or just makes you look extremely... well. Can't decide which one it is with your style of writing.

It's possible small desk-sized paintings were done at the time, though they still look anachronistic to me...maybe it's the small, propped-up frames that are responsible for that rather than the size of the canvas. Even small paintings in that period tended to have very thick frames.

It also heavily depends on what you define as "trhat period". Do we talk early medival? (a lot of "paintings" in the time frame where wall-sized tapestry (which I think TDM hasn't got any), which were used to make rooms nicer and warmer, also they tended to pain the walls themsevles. I can show you a few photos of originals from Castle Eltz from the 12th century.

Or late medivial, where we have arge wall paintings, but also smaller "protection" paintings?

Or victorian era?

etc.

Spanning 1150 .. 1850 in time frame almost impossible, because the styles and methods re so completely different.

Google images isn't giving me good examples, but here is a useful page I found:

http://www.dipity.com/uggy/MEDiVAL_TiMELiNE/

Guess we'd need to look up the individual imags to find out their size.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

On discussion by Tels and Spring:

Well, it is a magical steampunk setting so the paintings could easily be whatever. We even have printing press model, so why couldn't there be cheapish color photograph prints in A4 size? If we have a victrola (1877), why can't we have photography (1826)? But I agree that the color reproduction in those photographs should be awkward at best. Unless there is another neat (and explosive) invention by the inventors' guild!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well, then don't ask silly questions if you know better :) I mean, how do you think the colorful pages in the books where done? They were all painted manually, because printing wasn't invented yet...

Go ahead and find me the "colourful pages in the books" that look like the oil paintings in those frames above. I'll wait. If you don't understand the difference between illuminated manuscripts and oil paintings then we probably shouldn't be having this conversation.

If we have a victrola (1877), why can't we have photography (1826)?

We've had debates about photography before and I think the general consensus was that it felt too modern (and technically, colour photography wasn't really feasible until the 1890s). The victrola probably gets a pass only because it was in Thief. Of course, you could argue that a universe with steam robots can support any technology we want, including handguns and motor cars, without there being any better counter-argument than "it doesn't feel right".

We've had debates about photography before and I think the general consensus was that it felt too modern (and technically, colour photography wasn't really feasible until the 1890s). The victrola probably gets a pass only because it was in Thief. Of course, you could argue that a universe with steam robots can support any technology we want, including handguns and motor cars, without there being any better counter-argument than "it doesn't feel right".

Exactly! Isn't a detailed paint technology debate a bit silly, then? Heck, they could have a steamwork bot paint gun painting ten similar copies of the same painting at a single time.. (Would be a cool FM to have the player steal such a dingus, an idea free of charge.)

Anyways: the beauty of the setting is that it will stretch a long way and enable mappers to use their imaginations.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Exactly! Isn't a detailed paint technology debate a bit silly, then?

Only if you think any other technology debate is silly, I guess. Are you okay with machine guns or colt 45s in our setting? There's no reason they couldn't exist either.

I'm the kind of person who likes to exercise as little suspension of disbelief as possible when it comes to the setting. YMMV.