The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

These screenies and previous were taken at 1680*1050 btw.

And totally spoiled by JPG (re)-compression...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I second that. Still, it's exciting to know what will be waiting for us in a few weeks time. *poke* Am I right about the weeks?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Yeah, the compression is a bit nasty in some darker areas. I agree that the sewers look awesome! I can't wait to explore around them, hearing distant dripping noises, sloshing through the muck. But I would suggest changing that pipe intersection that both splits and joins - I can think of no sense to it in any sane sewage or water system, so to my mind it's like "what the heck?"

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

So, now that No Honor Among Thieves is at large, and we've all had fun playing it, what is in the pipeline from everyone else?

I'm working on a mission right now that is probably going to take a long time to finish. I'm thinking of ways to cut corners so that I can achieve what I want without it taking me years to accomplish.

I won't show any screenshots for a while because it doesn't look impressive to me yet. I'm going to make sure that the player has plenty to climb, because that seems to be where TDM really shines.

Thanks:) And good luck with your own map. I've been doing this for 2 weeks

I've dumped my previous map which got out of control due to bad planning, and thats the hardest part for me, i am thinking too much with modeling in head,instead of mapping to game:)

That's a good-looking building, _Atti_ - the organic look and odd angles make it particularly appealing. Also, nice progress, Bikerdude, I take it will be a fairly largish mission?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have discovered that lighting the alcoves and crevices of your map will make it look pretty and add a richness to the feeling of depth (like lighting a hollow pumpkin), but it doesn't help for sneaking around. I will need to find some middle ground.

It's the boat you use to get to the island in my fm.

Looks very much like a modern speedboat to me. It might look more steampunk-ish if it looked like bits and pieces were taken from other, existing technology. Like using a regular boat hull (perhaps reinforced), and the chair looking like it was a modified dining room chair. And an actual ship wheel rather than modern handlebars.

Looks very much like a modern speedboat to me. It might look more steampunk-ish if it looked like bits and pieces were taken from other, existing technology. Like using a regular boat hull (perhaps reinforced), and the chair looking like it was a modified dining room chair. And an actual ship wheel rather than modern handlebars.

The reason i made the boat look better and shinier is because A: it is a stolen boat from a speed loving yuppie, so it needs to look expensively crafted. Eg treated pine wood, pure metals, stylish interior. B: It is technology unheard of in public. So i'm trying to push ahead everyone else's fms to have more technically advanced machinary just because of a one off invention. The idea is that some young rich man has hired (under great expense) a special engineer to design and have built for him an optimised steam boat. That means that it is being made from scratch, with designs to fit the demands.

I think that if anything, i diddn't make it regal enough...

but then again, i could have included that info with my post aye :P

These pictures give you an idea for the style i was going for...

http://www.techchee.com/2007/11/04/steampunk-laptop-wind-me-up-to-power-on/

18588.png

While I like the artwork, I have to agree with Springheel that it's strikes me as just too anachronistic. Sorta like all the crazy stuff they had on "The Flintstones" just to imitate 20th century lifestyle with stone-age tech. But there is good potential to adjust some features and make it work, I think

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif