The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

But something is weird with the candle light - on the table top it looks like the light only goes a few inches, but then you can see it on the walls around with chair shadows and everything

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Fidcal: God! you're fast.

I hasten to add that this FM was already rough built by Sotha and will be credited to him as the main creator. I'm just doing the twiddly bits. ;) Even that room was made by Sotha. I optimised the textures, added a few things and set the mood lighting.

But something is weird with the candle light

Another of the weird and wonderful bugs of TDM, its an issue with the texture used on the table I`ll have to reposition the candle or change it for another type of light...

Edited by Bikerdude

Today I got the number wheels combination lock working. Seems robust but I'd like it to go through beta and release with the FM to see if any problems - then I'll make a prefab out of it. Not something that many FMs would need but adds variety to bank vaults etc., search for the secret code etc (which the villain always writes down somewhere.) :rolleyes:

Not something that many FMs would need but adds variety to bank vaults etc., search for

Are you kiddding me? This is an awesome thing, Fidcal. Variety is great! And elements like this are so in tune with the kind of games I love that I must say... "are you kidding me?" :D

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

i've been planning on using one in my FM for over a month. just need to design and then place the 'vault' area. I've also been thinking up some unique ways of obtaining the code for different difficulty levels, if its possible.

edit: also, this reminds me: is there any plans for implementing a player notepad? I could use one, and i think this could also drastically reduce the number of readables that a player needs to carry around. write down the important parts in the notes, then discard readable. And God knows the sheer amount of readables and keys that players are picking up in FM's would warrant any sort of inventory reducing tool that could be placed at the players disposal.

Edited by ungoliant

That notepad thing would be cool; but you could also until then recommend in your mission briefing/readme that the player go old school and break out the real world pen and paper. I usually do that rather than rely on in game stuff no matter how well it is implemented... because I can jot diagrams and such as well as general text notes. Makes me feel as if I'm playing a proper adventure game.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

is there any plans for implementing a player notepad? I could use one

I would personally adore this. I hate writing by hand, especially when I'm playing a game in a dark room. :ph34r:

I tried playing with... I think it was called ViewNotes?... in game, but it didn't seem very useful as is.

Taking a break from working on my strange little mission over my exam period, but keeping up with some texturing for community submissions etc:

A set of stained glass windows (I know they arnt colour/light balanced and the lighting is horrible, still pondering the best way to make the white less... white)

Stained glass window set (rgb)

And because I thought this was a nice texture, one dds + one normal makes two really nice materials! :)

Gothic decorative supports

• Like 1

Fab job, Serpentine. :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah, that's definitely sweet. Great idea making it a decal texture. I actually have the sourceimage on my hdd too, but wasn't sure what to do with it... :) Please note though, that your texture doesn't tile perfectly at the middle of the column yet.

thats fixed, screenshots were from a few days ago :)

Its not a decal really, just toggling the alpha on/off in the material shader and applied to a brush - decals tend to be hidden by the engine at distance and considering this should always be used at a fair distance away from reachable places that would make it too hard to use.

If anyone has other similar things of highish res, please get me a url or the source image.

@Serpentine: Nice! If you're looking for another piece similar to the scrollwork you did above, see:

/textures/darkmod/stone/sculpted/arch_scrollwork

I started doing a modeled normalmap for it in Blender (about 1/3 done I guess) but I don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing it. Feel free to take on that texture if you wish. I think it was found on cgtextures or mayang, and I already did adjustments for in-game use to the diffuse.

arch_scrollwork is definitely from CGTextures.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

i've been planning on using one [numberwheel combo lock] in my FM for over a month. just need to design and then place the 'vault' area. I've also been thinking up some unique ways of obtaining the code for different difficulty levels, if its possible.
Sorry I overlooked this thread last few days because it's a sticky. How soon do you need this? I need two in my FM so need to think how to do that using one script. But I've been pressing on with the villain's lair the last few days so not had time for the numberwheel. But it is fully working with one numberwheel machine right now if you are desperate and can't wait.

Look, an owl! B)