The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Which reminds me, are belchers still in the "to be released" queue?

We just discussed this internally, and the summary is basically that we're not happy with the current model. Frankly, I wouldn't be upset if the notion of Belchers slipped quietly into oblivion...they're such an obvious rip-off of Burricks, with no real-world comparison, that they're rather hard to justify.

Bikerdude, if you like you can count me in as a beta-tester. That cave definitely got me hooked!

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Springheel: thanks. Although, as far as I am concerned, they are cool.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wow! I just...swooned at that youtube video of the cave! :o Very moody and very pretty! B)

Hmmm...I wonder If I could use an AVI like that for my Linux desktop background...?

I must have missed that one, which youtube video?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well outside my abilities.

Ha, I wouldn't say that. Its more like will power, copious amounts of desk thumping and several hours.... If you want to learn how I did it I can do a small tut vid for you..?

The good news is that after my map/mission is released, all the work ive done will be free for anyone to use in their own maps..

Edited by Bikerdude

Download helper

Eh, salright. I like to stay away from 'download helper' type apps. The whole idea of it irritates me (maybe I am grumpy?) in the same way that faxing does... :)

I'll just wait for the mission propa like I oughta. Have you given an ETA that I probably missed?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Eh, salright. I like to stay away from 'download helper' type apps.

heh, people that know me know I'm very picky out my apps, that and being a computer engineer means I have tested the app and used it for a while.

But.... just for you, here is a link..

Edited by Bikerdude

Oh! Excellent, man. Thanks!

I suppose you're probably right about "download helper" but it's the principle of the thing more than anything. I'm still "disgruntled" (let's say) about youtube taking years to become actually user friendly; and still it's not as it should be where the defacto default operation is to download the freaking file on to ones PERSONAL COMPUTER to watch locally with local control whether online or offline once and for all having used said bandwidth and being done with the transfer...

While we still have our own machines and control over them, before they'll only sell us dumb-terminals again, let's get the data in, in here, where I can do with it what I want to do with it in my personal space.

[de-ranting...]

Anyway, thanks again. The sight and sound of those caves actually cool me off ;)

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Posting some progress. Mostly because i have a question about those those two type of chandaliers:)

The one with three candles does come in a version where it has flames and light but is that light editable somehow?

I used the no-flames one however. Is it possible to put non-light flames on it and somehow attach it to a separate light?

Same question with that other chandalier, it has all its flames but the light has to be put there separately. Is there a way to put there some non-light candle flames and somehow connect it to the light so when it goes out the flames would follow?

Btw: If not i think separate animated selflit candleflames that don't act like lights would be useful for example:

It could be used for making a huge bunch of candles close to each other.. they could be connected to an extinguisable fake light, so piles of candles could be used without the performance hit. Or for complex chandeliers with lots of flames..

post-73-127361118232_thumb.jpg

post-73-127361118758_thumb.jpg

I'm not entirely certain how to make a multiple-candle setup all light and all extinguish at once. You might try your own custom particle setup, and accompany it with one light entity. It's a little convoluted at the moment. Maybe it's something to look for in a combo entity in the future.

And thanks to Bikerdude for the WMV file. It's now looping as my desktop background. B)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Posting some progress. Mostly because i have a question about those those two type of chandaliers:)

On the brick texture front, I would have a play with that some more, as in the 1st screen shot its too 'clean' and in the second its the wrong scale (you might have it set to 0.5, should be 0.35 I believe.

Edited by Bikerdude

We just discussed this internally, and the summary is basically that we're not happy with the current model. Frankly, I wouldn't be upset if the notion of Belchers slipped quietly into oblivion...they're such an obvious rip-off of Burricks, with no real-world comparison, that they're rather hard to justify.

How about a new creature? This looks like a nice window to come up with some original (and unfamiliar) content for the TDM :) I remember a thread with someone suggesting a creature that could only see in the shadow.

On the brick texture front, I would have a play with that some more, as in the 1st screen shot its too 'clean' and in the second its the wrong scale (you might have it set to 0.5, should be 0.35 I believe.

Mortem ( and the questions for anyone knowing): Thanks, well if i could make a separate model containing only flame, handplace it on the chandalier's candles, would i be able to set them to dissappear when the fake extinguisable light goes out? somehow join them with the light in that way? If yes than i think i am going to make one.

Biker:Thanks for the feedback, well the scale is like that all-level around i dont believe i will change it. I found it good in this scale also, especially because of the bigger outside surfaces, where smaller would be too much repeating. About being clean , well decals will come:) But there's a lot of work still before those.