The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Very cool!

(Any hope of fixing that water graphic-effect bug where anything in front of water is all wavery like it's underwater? You can see it on the bars in that last pic)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Very cool!

(Any hope of fixing that water graphic-effect bug where anything in front of water is all wavery like it's underwater? You can see it on the bars in that last pic)

Not possible as it's part of the rendering engine. AFAIK the distortion effect is calculated after the scene is drawn so everything covering the water is add to the effect. It's faster doing it that way as you don't have to sort the scene to find out what should be distorted or not. I'm sure there's other ways of doing it as not all games have that bug.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Thanks for the nice words.

_Atti_:

Is this the same mission you posted a screenshot of earlier? It looks very good.

Melan:

You're right, there's a lot of detail in the normal maps; proper choice of textures and their alignment can make a huge difference.

I also tried to make lighting a bit more contrasting and interessting as I think that's an area current missions are lacking in. One of the best looking features of the engine is the projected lights so they should be used more often.

A glimpse of the textures I am working on. The entire pack consists of more than 70, although some of these are variants. The largest group is sculpted stone, but there is also stained glass, tiles, basic stonework and more. Trims, especially, are in a good supply (TDM was sorely missing them IMO). Serpentine is working on some of the trickier textures. Once it is all done, I will run these by the TDM team to see how many they would like to include in the core package; the others will have to be released as part of a mission, since the source site, CGTextures.com doesn't allow the redistribution of texture packs, only full mods or levels.

post-2023-127523566698_thumb.jpg

post-2023-12752357155_thumb.jpg

post-2023-127523577467_thumb.jpg

post-2023-127523579754_thumb.jpg

post-2023-127523582359_thumb.jpg

[edit]I am especially happy that I could get an almost exact substitute for the old Bafford yellow. Yaaaay! :laugh:[/edit]

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

And two more.

post-2023-127523590887_thumb.jpg

post-2023-127523595765_thumb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

WOW WOW WOW

This looks cool - very intense and claustrophobic. and there are much details ;)

I LOVE cramped (tight?!) corridors! There could be more of them. It's darker and riskier if someone is coming! Please add some hidden doors/corridors/areas - they are very cool and support replay ability

Bikerdude: these are almost all mine. The images are from a small demonstration area which I used to test the textures, not a complete mission.

Those look fantastic. :) As long as there are people in the community willing to put some time and effort into it likes this, TDM will keep getting better and better. :)

Wow, those really remind me of the Lost City in Thief 1, fantastic textures and I love the atmosphere.

The only thing I can say is that perhaps the normal maps could use some work, just to bring out a bit more detail, but other than that <3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

willing to put some time and effort into it likes this, TDM will keep getting better and better.

Wrap yer peepers round these! but bear in mind this is still a work in progress...

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

On a minus note, I'm getting some weird shadows down the hammer statue end of the cathedral on most of the brushes, patches - its like the shadows have no fixed origin type effect... Springs/Fids any ideas..? or will you need to see the map your selfs..?

post-496-1275307630_thumb.jpg

post-496-12753076342_thumb.jpg

post-496-127530763806_thumb.jpg

post-496-127530764285_thumb.jpg

post-496-127530764615_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

very niiice. From a TDM universe standpoint, I think there may not be enough metal surfaces for a cathedral. I might suggest some of the more round tubish parts of the pillars and trim be converted to a dark solid metal surface for structural support as opposed to the lighter colored blocks, and it also would add some contrast to the majestic view.

Overall this looks gorgeous. I think if I was playing through this FM, I'd get caught by the builder guards if for no other reason than that I stopped to gawk at the view for 5 minutes.

Whoa, Bikerdude, is there anything you can't do? :blink:

Very nice.

Gloria! Gloria! Woahhh! This is a Biker FM? Looks fantastic! And what is that statue? is that a regular one I don't know about? Seems to have a little more detail than most or maybe it's the lighting.

Dunno about the shadows unless they are rendering errors because of the complexity. If so you can try slightly rebuilding those parts in a different way or convert some of it to func_static. What I do is put something over them to hide them as a quick bodge!

Dunno about the shadows unless they are rendering errors because of the complexity. If so you can try slightly rebuilding those parts in a different way or convert some of it to func_static.

Complexity is a distinct possibility; the stencil buffer can overflow and cause shadow artifacts with very complex shadows.

Converting to func_static probably won't help (the rendered geometry is the same in both cases), but simplifying the patches might. The default number of polygons in a patch is actually quite high, whereas you can normally get away with a much simpler geometry.

Cools screens, but I have problems with the forum image viewer. If a image is greater than my browser window I have to scroll down/right to view the entire image or to find the close button. This is very annyoing.

Ill attached them to the post as well then, gimme a few mins..

Gloria! Gloria! Woahhh! This is a Biker FM? Looks fantastic! And what is that statue? is that a regular one I don't know about? Seems to have a little more detail than most or maybe it's the lighting.

@Fids & Melan

lol, thanks - but I am just the decorator and diy man in this case. The original map/building was built by Loren Schmidt - link and then Serps lowered the ceilings and then I then cleaned up after etc...

Buttress's, columns, ledges, misalignment's, and caulked every hidden face I could find. I then replaced all the windows with patch decals and removed the original brush, added all the textures, lights, furniture and stock tdm statues. The only issue is the shadow weirdness, its looking like I'll have to redo that complete end of the cathedral, and then I'll feel better about taking some credit for this piece of eye candy.

@Ungoliant

There is already a lot of metal in there, at the top of each column, the main buttress support and higher up, the steps to the alter

Holy crap. :wub:

I'm getting some weird shadows down the hammer statue end of the cathedral on most of the brushes, patches - its like the shadows have no fixed origin type effect...

Can you post a screen of the problem?