The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I still can't believe that this is being added to your (already) impressive mission... (not to gloat about being in the Alpha... sorry)... I can't wait 'till you upload a map with the cathedral included!!! :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

well Ive spent the last few hours converting a feck load of patches to func_statics and doing an exploded view of the cathedral - this will make tiding up the whole mess a feck load easier and will reduce the vert/poly count at the same time. Before putting it back together, I will save a copy of this map in exploded so future mappers can chop and change with ease.

cathedral_exploded.jpg

post-496-127533239273_thumb.jpg

I guess your FMS will redefine Loren Schmidt's Cathedral the way that Jimi Hendrix is credited with many Bob Dylan tunes :laugh: ...

(great lighting BTW)

Again, Biker's map already has the kind of narrow, byzantine, complex, streets that many in these forums seem to regard as Holy Grail of city design... it's a real visual treat!

Plus, even without having all the weapons and frobs available, I can already see places where the "sneak-tension" and mood is well pitched... I hope (as a newb) that I'm not over-praising, but I really appreciate his work! :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Is that lighting final/wip

Still in WIP, so it may get a little better. And regarding geometry, there was a lot of that wasnt spot on, I tend to be a bit anal about these things which is why I've painstakingly grouped bunches of patches into Func_ststic objects and moved them out of the main body of the cathedral so I can see what needed to be cleaned up etc - so far Ive been doing this now for 10hrs straight, I'd like to having back together before I goto bed...

dSpair, do you still work on the Fm you posted shots from earlier in this topic?

No. My purpose was not to create an actual mission, but to play with DarkRadiant, and that's what I did. I think I even didn't keep the files on my hard drive.

Still in WIP, so it may get a little better. And regarding geometry, there was a lot of that wasnt spot on, I tend to be a bit anal about these things which is why I've painstakingly grouped bunches of patches into Func_ststic objects and moved them out of the main body of the cathedral so I can see what needed to be cleaned up etc - so far Ive been doing this now for 10hrs straight, I'd like to having back together before I goto bed...

The lights are coming out nicely too, but I'd suggest more color to set a tone for the whole environment. It's not really about realism or simulating the vitral colors, it's just visually appealing.

googled a few examples of cathedrals with different colors (spoilered to make it compact) but these are photographs.. the cool thing about painting (or making tdm levels :D ) is that you can push the tone even more! and get really moody enviroments.

Orange

st-marks-cathedral-interior.jpg

Green

Duomo_di_Milano_Cathedral_interior.jpg

Purple

3816114083_ec8a498af8.jpg

Google now has a really cool feature of filtering your image search results by color, btw.

Edit: I realize that I haven't slept in quite some time. So I may not be making a lot of sense :wacko:

Edited by Diego

Made some minor stuff, while doing my map,

a set of nails ( short,long,bent, all in 2:a smaller and a bigger version)

with a minor screw-skin, that can be set on all. ( i will probably improve that skin as ingame it's long part does not differ as much as it looked like it will in PS )

And as i didnt find any similar to what i wanted a keyhole-decal.

btw: I see there are some cool city-scape decals...but how do those work? it's all strange to me, as its not their sky part that is transparent but their base, is this right? if so how can those be used?

post-73-127543323134_thumb.jpg

post-73-127543324765_thumb.jpg

Edited by _Atti_

Made some minor stuff, while doing my map,

a set of nails ( short,long,bent, all in 2:a smaller and a bigger version)

with a minor screw-skin, that can be set on all. ( i will probably improve that skin as ingame it's long part does not differ as much as it looked like it will in PS )

Wow, it looks great, and very Builder-esque with all the metal you've added. Great job!

Neb: looks great - particularly like the dark and light contrast which often clashes but seems OK here. Glad you mentioned the ceiling because I was going to. As soon as I see horizontal areas of brick or stone I'm afraid to walk under. All it needs is to angle the ceiling up to the middle as an inverted V. That's easy compared to a patch arch and would look effective there.