The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Yeah, I like that last one especially, the Brewery. Lots of nice unique choices there (and in the others - don't recall a slope like that before): the wide, pretty well-lit streets; the outward-jutting angle on the upper floor; the sewer hatch; the aforementioned high torch.

All looking good.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Exactly. The fire arrow: Anti-personnel incendiary weapon, or utility for lighting hard-to-reach torches? Both! It does it all. Purchase one today from the Inventor's Guild representative in your neighborhood market!

Joking aside, in the real world the use a long wooden stick (think "broom handle") with a small candle at its top. With that, you can light f.i. the candles on a chandelier. The same thing had a "small metal hood" (like a small bell) on it, so you could also extinguish candles at the ceiling-heigh chandelier.

Maybe we should add such an object to TDM :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Better spend that energy on basic electrics and machinery - coils, transformers, pumps, old-looking dials, pistons and so forth; the stuff of a decent steampunk environment. B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 weeks later...

There are at least two missions that are just waiting on the new release.

I put the spawnarg "texture" "lights/biground1_streetlamp_4fold_snd" on my streetlight and it turns off all the lights in my map, so I end up with lights in the map that dont light anything, complete pitch black.

This is because you're using a "_snd" light texture without having a sound shader defined on your light. This heavily screws up the renderer, use the light texture without _snd suffix.

More shots from the master nookmaker, looking good!

And some of the stuff I have been working on :

Some door textures (which are too clean and the handle points are too high) and generating tree models quickly (which has strange lighting issues and lines on some leaf tris, not too sure why)

treegen.th.jpgdoornz.th.jpg

Edited by Serpentine

Good shots, Bikerdude. Some texture alignment issues on the arches on the last small image (in the background), but otherwise you are getting into this. :)

Serpentine, those doors could use some grunge, and maybe darker textures (the latter would be pretty easy to add too), but I think once done, they would fit right into an official release.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Bikerdude, if I may: In shot00010ni.jpg, the stove casts no light. Apart from that, the shots are beautiful, they really capture the original Thief feeling. Wonderful work!

Serpentine, the way I see it, we are not far away from Speed Tree style trees. Is it possible and feasible to divide the branches into finer branches? Or would the performance hit be too big to justify this?

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Master nookmaker, lol I like it B)

Yeah, some of the shots are older ones that were put on ttlg a while back that have been since fixed.

Serps those doors look gorgeous, very secret treasure vault'esq...:ph34r:

I am really wanting 1.01 so I can use the new fixes, Ai, textures etc that have been implemented..

Re: Doors

The handle plate placement has to be moved down, so the diamond window/shape thing will move down along with it and the top bar. The reason they are actually clean is because the source pics are quite clean! I know I need to add some grime and usage areas to the textures, darkening the diffuse changes things too much and makes the features stick out too much in ambient lighting.

Re: Trees

The trees are generated in a similar way to Speedtree, however I dont use Max or even understand much modeling stuff (speedtree doesnt really export to models well unless you're using max, and even then they are problematic to keep in line with the other TDM trees) so I just wanted to make something that other people like myself can follow to make more or less good looking trees. The branches actually divide again but are covered by the leaves in that shot. I will upload a tutorial on the process I've been using, tho it isnt working 100% (there are still those white lines... for now) In the end it takes about 3-4 minutes to crank out a new tree once you have the hang of it(including exporting, converting and manually editing the ase file to reflect TDM textures) :)