The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

thats an awesome looking shadow, what was the actual fps, res etc in the scene. And whats an area light..

Doom 3 uses only point lights (or omni lights), so area light would be light emitted by an area (or even volume). See the attached image and it'll become intuitive ^_^ (but it's an approximation, of course)

With a regular light, the scene is 30 fps. But it's really steady, so maybe it's an upper limit? I don't know much about, well, anything about this engine :P

With this setup of 16 lights it drops to 12 fps. But maybe some simpler setup (6 lights, maybe) this thing could be useable in some special places.

Note: Seeing the screenshot now I realize it would be better to turn off specular on all but one light.

edit: the setup of the screenshot (the one with 12 fps) may be of 25 lights, though! I had to remake the setup and I'm not sure I did it the same way emoticon_sorrisoamarelo.gif

post-119-127785328127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Diego

With a regular light, the scene is 30 fps. But it's really steady, so maybe it's an upper limit? I don't know much about, well, anything about this engine :P

With this setup of 16 lights it drops to 12 fps. But maybe some simpler setup (6 lights, maybe) this thing could be useable in some special places.

Note: Seeing the screenshot now I realize it would be better to turn off specular on all but one light.

Your 30fps clamp is probably from vertical sync being on.

That's still a nice hand-painted shadow. I had a lot of patience doing similar things in NHAT. It seems that the prettiness outweighs the patience it takes for some lights. I'm quite fond of using the light texture "lights/roundhalf" to cheat noshadowing.

Otherwise, I just use some of the "lights/shadows/" that I built a while ago experimenting with softened shadows. "Blend Blend" lights (shadows) are expensive, but rlly purty.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Good to know there are cheaper ways of faking soft shadows :]

Still experimenting with lights.. I'm trying to fake radiosity with a non specular casting light (wich still is casting specular light! for some reason)

Is there a way to remove certain objects from being lit by a specific light? I would like to remove the floor from being lit by this light.

The upper part of the image shows just the main light and the lower one is with the fake reflection light.

post-119-127786225222_thumb.jpg

The only ways that come to mind will keep it unlit from every light.

Easiest way is to paint a "texture/common/shadow" decal or brush on top of what you want. (This is assuming your light does not have noshadows)

Yeah that method reminds me of the "Baked Global Illumination in Doom 3 Possibly applicable in TDM-Maps?" thread... Maybe with all this improved cross-compatibility with Blender we might see more of these methods...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If anyone wants to spend some time figuring out how to use it etc, http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=giles.about seems pretty cool, it's also free and supports most of our model formats. I however havent got a clue how to use it and you would most likely need to use lightwave objects and mess around a _lot_ to get all the materials working etc.

Blender is the same story however, supporting models isnt really an issue as much as getting materials working correctly for exporting.

Now since Doom doesn't really support light maps would this be used to create light textures or shadow decals, or both? :unsure:... (Never fully understood that Strombine technique)

Soft shadows are most easily done by hand-painting your own light texture.

Concerning shadow decals and 'baked' illumination: The lightgem is not sensitive to the darkness of the textures/decals around you; it's sensitive only to you. Baked illumination will yield the same effects as if you paint a room with mattblack and a 100% bright ambient. You're still lit up like a Christmas tree on fire.

Your 30fps clamp is probably from vertical sync being on.

That's still a nice hand-painted shadow. I had a lot of patience doing similar things in NHAT. It seems that the prettiness outweighs the patience it takes for some lights. I'm quite fond of using the light texture "lights/roundhalf" to cheat noshadowing.

Otherwise, I just use some of the "lights/shadows/" that I built a while ago experimenting with softened shadows. "Blend Blend" lights (shadows) are expensive, but rlly purty.

It's not hand-painted, it's generated dynamically by the light cluster (or you mean as an expression? :P )

Good to know there are cheaper ways of faking soft shadows :]

Still experimenting with lights.. I'm trying to fake radiosity with a non specular casting light (wich still is casting specular light! for some reason)

Is there a way to remove certain objects from being lit by a specific light? I would like to remove the floor from being lit by this light.

The upper part of the image shows just the main light and the lower one is with the fake reflection light.

I think I know what you're asking here and the solution may be a bit tricky, but here goes. If you don't want that light to light up the floor, you can achieve this by using the spectrum <int> method. In dark radiant, give the light a spectrum value...say spectrum 1, now only materials with spectrum 1 will be illuminated by this light. That does mean you have to give any material being touched by the light that you do want affected a spectrum 1 setting as well,but it will achieve what you want.

I wonder if there would be some way for us to create a setting in the SDK to create a negative spectrum setting so that we could just tag a light neg_spectrum -1, and only have to tag the surface we don't want affected?

Here is a link to some material settings for the doom 3 sdk.

http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

I wonder if there would be some way for us to create a setting in the SDK to create a negative spectrum setting so that we could just tag a light neg_spectrum -1, and only have to tag the surface we don't want affected?

I've never tried it myself but it may be possible to pass entity parameters to the spectrum keyword. Something like this...

textures/whatever/mytexture
{
       spectrum Parm5      
       {
               map     textures/whatever/mytexture
       }
}

With something like that in place for all the textures you could isolate geometry into func_static entities and assign them to groups.

Edited by rich_is_bored

cant use arches because it wont work the way its planned to work.

And its started to get really confusing anyway, started at 0 doom grid units, and currently at -12000 doom grid units.

Edited by stumpy

Now I seem to remember asking this question before, and we couldn't add a different type of spectrum behavior because it's closed off in the renderer.

Damn my memory. Ever since I had the high blood pressure last year, it has been flaky as hell. Getting better, but still.

tower of a long dead illusionist...

That title...

Sooooo good...

I would go to the movie theater to see a movie with that name without reading a single review!

(Great pic BTW)

Looking forward to the mission!

First shot from the level I am working on (in wireframe mode because a) they are cool, B) lights are not yet final).

post-2023-127887034903_thumb.jpg

Currently at 442 brushes and 493 patches. This will take a while.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

no worries melan, you are not the slowest of us. FFS you won the christmas contest already. I barely have 2 hours a night to myself at this point, and its all dedicated to learning about materials and vertex programs at this point, and not mapping my entry at all. I'm thinking I might need to forfeit :( :(