The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Yep. Soon as I posted I noticed there is a piece missing and no sign of it so looks like it got deleted. Got to redo that bit. The very top piece was balanced light/dark/light but one side is missing. Frantically hit UNhide and show all layers but no, it's gone. Seems trivial but its 4 pieces each of which needs aligning and I've been awake with insomnia since about 3:30am. Hopefully I can rotate a clone...

• Like 1

Yes, it was a simple clone and rotate and a bit of internal caulking. Funny thing was now I can see that because of it I had fiddled around aligning the side that gets covered up without realizing the original piece was lost. :rolleyes: It's those little slivers that are hard to see when you are just trying to slide in a matching colour with no detail and it would be nice if one could turn off the DR highlight temporarily in that situation because you have to guess what the colour would be like when not highlighted. :wacko:

Nope, its a brush with a crate texture

:laugh:

I know I'm risking to sound stupid, but what exactly is a brush? I hear it being mentioned every once in a while, but I have no idea as to what it mean.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I know I'm risking to sound stupid, but what exactly is a brush? I hear it being mentioned every once in a while, but I have no idea as to what it mean.

Hehe, you do sound stupid... :-P Just kidding. Brushes form the basic level geometry. You can imagine them like lego-blocks in different forms and sizes.

Okay, so when Bikerdude says that the crate is not a crate but a brush with a crate texture, what's the difference between the two?

Okay, so when Bikerdude says that the crate is not a crate but a brush with a crate texture, what's the difference between the two?

a crate is a model thats part of the TDM resource (models\darkmod\containers\crate01.lwo) - made up from either a bunch of patches or made in a modeling program.

A brush piece of world geometry (in this case a rectangle) which I have just pasted a texture (models/darkmod/props/textures/crate01) on all 6 sides.

I have done a quick picture to illustrate what I am refering to.

post-496-128092018985_thumb.jpg

post-496-128092032263_thumb.jpg

post-496-128092148099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Okay, I think I got that. And a patch is... essentially a flat rectangle, made out of two polygons?

And, more importantly: are there any benefits to a crate brush as compared to a crate model?

@ fid when are you going to upload the arch as a prefab cool.gif would love to slap it in one of my missions wink.gif

I'll put the three up today. I already made the prefabs but have since corrected one or two tiny defects. Two stone versions and the wood. Be warned I imagine it might be a nightmare to resize. Though thinking about the middle arch is two brushes so could be sliced out the middle or enlarged there. Height - probably easy to extend the side brushes. Mmm.. Now I think about it probably not too bad. Its the curved patches might be tedious if it is necessary to change those.

on another note fids, would it possible to get some something basic setup for the hosting of prefabs - a nice dark grey background with pictures of the prefabs and a download link below them.

Sorry, no time to do anything pretty. The current download allows browsing, picture viewing, and readme - very basic but it's all there. It means it is very easy for me to maintain and I can upload quickly. If I had to maintain a proper web page then contributions would sit in my in-tray until I could find time.

Okay, I think I got that. And a patch is... essentially a flat rectangle, made out of two polygons?

A patch is a surface that can be stretched and twisted like a plastic sheet. It's always two-dimensional surface-wise but can be bent into three dimensions. It can have a great many polygons. A brush is always convex - it cannot have any concave areas but a patch can be L shaped, U shaped, cone-shaped, dome-shaped, cylinder-shaped, two domes make a sphere, etc. Patches can be single or two-sided depending on the texture (most are single, something like a spider web would be 2-sided.) Patches can be 'thickened' to simulate a 3-dimensional object but what is happening is that extra patches are created at the sides to enclose a volume.

On the other hand, brushes can be easily split with the clipper tool, while this is not possible for patches without resorting to an inconvenient-sounding method. On the other hand, there is a lot of "organic" complexity that needs patches instead of brushes... or models, but those have to be made in an external application and imported at an extra effort. It is a delicate three-way balance among brushes, patches and models.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yep.

As Baddcog recently schooled me ( :laugh: ) Patches and Models also use Vertex Normals while Brushes do not. So the only way to get curvy looking Brush work without going triangle-crazy is Normal Mapped textures but it's very hard to re- UV-map complex Normal Maps back to a Brush.

That is why my holy-grail is to have some reasonable work-flow that can let you break apart a Normal Map from a model and easily re UV-Map it to Brush work.

Bikerdude is so good with Brush work that he probably wouldn't need any models at all for any level of complexity :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Bikerdude is so good with Brush work that he probably wouldn't need any models at all for any level of complexity

LOL, I wouldnt go that far. And I am starting to use patches just as much as brushes. And on that note here is another screenie to enjoy, I think maybe I'll do a screenie of the day thing from now on..

shot000016.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Bikerdude

On the other hand, brushes can be easily split with the clipper tool, while this is not possible for patches without resorting to an inconvenient-sounding method. On the other hand, there is a lot of "organic" complexity that needs patches instead of brushes... or models, but those have to be made in an external application and imported at an extra effort. It is a delicate three-way balance among brushes, patches and models.

LOL shut up :laugh: that took me a while to compile, and everyone is scared of it. After the first or second time doing it, it is so easy. -_-

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Sorry. As long as I can translate something to a visual analogy, I manage, but anything involving code and my brain shuts down. :blush:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved