The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

Question:

I want to change the location and the look of the loading bar for my contest fm.

I'm guessing I can just change the location by changing the coordinates etc, but how do I change the progress bar to a percentage? I have been given a example, but as I want to learn is there a wiki for this..

Also why don't the the very small spiders attach the player..?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing I can just change the location by changing the coordinates etc, but how do I change the progress bar to a percentage? I have been given a example, but as I want to learn is there a wiki for this..

For reference:

windowDef perc0
{
	rect	370,320,470,120
	visible	( ("gui::map_loading" >= 0.00) && ("gui::map_loading" < 0.01) )
	text 	"loading 0 %"
	textscale	0.6
	font 	"fonts/mac_humaine"
	textalign	0
	forecolor	0,0,0,1
}
windowDef perc1
{
	rect	370,320,470,120
	visible	( ("gui::map_loading" >= 0.01) && ("gui::map_loading" < 0.02) )
	text 	"loading 1 %"
	textscale	0.6
	textalign	0
	forecolor	0,0,0,1
}
windowDef perc2
{
	rect	350,320,470,120
	visible	( ("gui::map_loading" >= 0.02) && ("gui::map_loading" < 0.03) )
	text 	"loading 2 %"
	textscale	0.6
	textalign	0
	forecolor	0,0,0,1
}

You could try giving the small spider team 12 but I don't know if is has the bite to attack with.

In the loader gui you can see this section:

windowDef ProgressBar
{
	rect	245,459,( "gui::map_loading" * 152 ),13  // (bar width grows with load progress.)
	backcolor    0.8, 0.3, 0, 0.5  // (color of progress bar)
	visible	("gui::map_loading"<1)     // (only visible while loading)
}

The rect is the rectangle where it will appear in the form X,Y,W,H where X,Y, is the place on the screen of the top left corner of the rectangle and to 640, 480 scale (so 320,240 would be at the centre no matter what resolution on the player computer.) And W,H is the width and height of the rectangle, again to 640, 480 scale. In the above case the W width is not just one value but is replaced by ( "gui::map_loading" * 152 ) which means multiply the variable named gui::map_loading by 152. This variable is built into Doom3 and most probably just increments from 0 to 1 etc during loading. So the width of the bar jumps from 0 to 152 in fractions of 152.

OK, so try replacing it with text:

windowDef ProgressBar
{
rect 0,0,100,100
text ( "gui::map_loading" * 100) + "%"
textscale    .2
font         "fonts/medusa"
textalign    1
forecolor    0.99,0.99,0.99,0.85      // text color R,G,B,transparent (0 to 1 each)
backcolor 0,0,0,0 // the final 0 means totally transparent background; the first 3 0's are the rgb, in this case black but invisible so it doesn't matter
}

The above is a guess. I've not tried it. If the + "%" fails you might need to put that in a separate section just below the above section but before the final } eg,

windowDef ProgressPercent
{
	rect	10,0,100,100
	backcolor    0,0,0,0
	text "%"
	textscale    .2
	font         "fonts/medusa"
	textalign    1
	forecolor    0.99,0.99,0.99,0.85      // text color R,G,B,transparent (0 to 1 each)
	visible	("gui::map_loading"<1)     // (only visible while loading)
}

windowDef ProgressBar
{
rect 0,0,100,100
text ( "gui::map_loading" * 100) + "%"
textscale .2
font "fonts/medusa"
textalign 1
forecolor 0.99,0.99,0.99,0.85 // text color R,G,B,transparent (0 to 1 each)
backcolor 0,0,0,0 // the final 0 means totally transparent background; the first 3 0's are the rgb, in this case black but invisible so it doesn't matter
}

The above is a guess. I've not tried it. If the + "%" fails you might need to put that in a separate section just below the above section but before the final }

text needs a string and not a number like gui::map_loading, you need to typecast it first I'd say.

Another questions:

Do Zombies not set off mines now..?

They should.

But there's a known problem with having to step exactly directly absolutely on the mine.

The mines (and flashmines) should be changed to allow some proximity testing, but that hasn't been done yet.

Dunno about the mines.

Back on the random text......

Well if you want to use that from the wiki then first find where to put your text:

In your gui loader if it's the normal startmap loader gui you can see a section headed:

windowDef FMText

If you are not using that for some text already, ie, you left the text empty, you can use that.

But if you are already using that then create a new section - copy it to just below it and give it a new header name eg,

windowDef TextLoading

Whatever name you use you must use that in the section copied from the wiki. So copy and past that section in from the wiki just below. If you used the name TextLoading as the def then no need to change in the random text section. Otherwise you need to change it as indicated on the wiki.

Now hopefully it should work but you might need to tweak the font and size and position etc. And it will by default print up just "Text1" or "Text2" etc so you need to replace all those with hints. Either your own or search for Springheel's thread as some hints were posted there.

I wouldn't recommend making the tiny spiders attack. There is some bug where the player cannot hit them with a sword, so only arrows will kill them. The "small" spiders have attack animations, however.

Hmmm. Thinking out loud here ...

I wonder if the map load and briefing text can be done in parallel?

The map's loaded twice: once to put together the difficulty/objectives and shop screens, and again after that to spawn everything and start. I wonder if spawning and placement et. al. can be done, regardless of difficulty level, then paused, awaiting the completion of the briefing text and difficulty/shop selections, then adjust everything based on selections made.

T'would cut down on the time between mission selection in the menu and mission start.

Is it possible to put the briefing text into the loading screen? and if so can pauses be put in while the player reads the text..?

You can put the text in there, but you can't control how long it stays on screen. The time is controlled by a percentage of how long it takes to load. You can look at the Builder's Influence loading screen as an example...it shifts through 4 different images as the mission loads. It tends to jump forward in fits and starts though, so I wouldn't recommend it for lengthy or mission critical info.

Another question:

Is it possible to put the briefing text into the loading screen? and if so can pauses be put in while the player reads the text..?

You can put any text into the loading screen - see the start map instructions. If you mean can you put text that displays for a time and then another block of text shows - yes again using that variable mentioned above. You might want to look at eg, the trainer which changes the screen. You could do multiple screens or one screen and use the text command as is used in the loader already. If you get stuck I can give your more details.

It's not currently possible for a mapper to put pauses in though. Plus remember, that loader will load very rapidly in a quickload.

Another question:

The order of events: briefing, shop, loading screen.

The player must see briefing before the shop, because the player needs to know what he is doing so he can buy the gear he needs. Briefing in the loading screen would only work if there is no shop in the mission.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The order of events: briefing, shop, loading screen.

The player must see briefing before the shop, because the player needs to know what he is doing so he can buy the gear he needs. Briefing in the loading screen would only work if there is no shop in the mission.

Briefing, difficulty/objectives, shop, loading screen, map start.

When the player sees the difficulty/objective screen, it presents info he's already supposed to have gotten from the briefing.

To move the briefing into the loading screen, the sequence would have to be:

Loading screen (and briefing), difficulty/objectives, shop, map start.

Thus my pondering above whether the loading/briefing can be done in parallel. The player chews up time anyway reading the briefing or watching a movie; might as well use that time to load the mission. It would be nice if when they were finished with the shop, the map started up almost immediately.

Thus my pondering above whether the loading/briefing can be done in parallel. The player chews up time anyway reading the briefing or watching a movie; might as well use that time to load the mission. It would be nice if when they were finished with the shop, the map started up almost immediately.

That would be a great improvement, on many levels.

Sounds good. But a question: if the loading briefing had some sort of animations, pictures, mouse movement for button controlled briefing, would they stutter because of the loading process in the background?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sounds good. But a question: if the loading briefing had some sort of animations, pictures, mouse movement for button controlled briefing, would they stutter because of the loading process in the background?

Maybe, but no more than they would stutter today because of non-TDM processes running in the background.