The Dark Mod Forums

Voices in TDM

Springheel

You should watch Mortem's convo video if you haven't already.

It got me thinking...how do people feel about american accents in TDM? The first two voices we ever did have them (pro and grumbler), but all the rest have at least vaguely British accents.

Should I be sticking to that when looking for new vocal sets? Or would people like to see more American voices like in Mortem's video?

American accents are not something I notice, anymore. Probably due to Hollywood-pollution.

Besides Bridgeport is supposed to be a cultural mix, as I understand it. So it would make sense to have different accents.

I am not picky at all - I welcome all new content and fear that things get stifled by being too pernickity! Whilst British voices are the precedent and ideal since the City is a clockwork-punk London under-siege, I was never bothered by Garret's voice in Thief - and what is that if not a clear American accent? =-P

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

You should watch Mortem's convo video if you haven't already.

It got me thinking...how do people feel about american accents in TDM? The first two voices we ever did have them (pro and grumbler), but all the rest have at least vaguely British accents.

Should I be sticking to that when looking for new vocal sets? Or would people like to see more American voices like in Mortem's video?

I have no objections for a variety of accents. British accents tend to sound a bit nobilish and american accents fit well for variety of characters ranging from thugs (that benny) or an educated guard (the other guy). Due to american accents seen in movies and games, most people are accustomed to them like Jesps mentioned.

Heck, I could imagine even a german accent for an inventor.

"Now, were ist ze gear I put on ze table just now?"

"My neveSt invention vill revolutionize ze world! Just you wait."

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hahahahaaaa... I like that video ;) hahahahahaa

I often have problem with understandings, but this is quite clear! I understand it.

(now I watched it till the end)

Oh my god, it's getting better and better... - hahahahahahaha

Being American, and hoping to one day audition for a voice set, I have no problem with all types of accents. I hope that someday we add German and Italian and French and Russian, etc. Probably the only American accent that wouldn't fit well would be a southern one.

"Y'all come back now, heahh?"

I hope that someday we add German and Italian and French and Russian, etc.

You hear that, Shadowhide? Your turn now. ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Hehe, I feel quite inspired to make those pagans (girlfriend --> female pagan, me --> male pagan) I promised Springheel almost a year ago :blush: That one has been a lump in my chest all the time, but things like work and mapping come in the way and I need to borrow the SoundDevice from my old man and find a suitable room...

I really want to contribute with something!

To me the issue isn't the accent, it's the tone and fit to the character. I think about something like Star Trek NG, how most of the crew was American but Picard's British accent still fit right in.

Even an American Southern accent might fit if it were like an antebellum southern gentleman... it's about the closest we have to an aristocratic accent, and I can see it in the old aristocrat's face.

But any voice should just be credible for the character and not straining, and just good, confident voice acting. And even an American accent should still try for a Revolutionary-era tone, so there's not modernisms leaking into the tone (they can be baudy, just not too modern sounding).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Just watched the video and it was absofrigginlutely hilarious! Well maybe not quite but loved the voices - now every time I see two guards strolling around this is going to play through my head. :laugh: You could do a whole series titled "A day in the life of...":rolleyes:

Hehe, I feel quite inspired to make those pagans (girlfriend --> female pagan, me --> male pagan) I promised Springheel almost a year ago :blush: That one has been a lump in my chest all the time, but things like work and mapping come in the way and I need to borrow the SoundDevice from my old man and find a suitable room...

I really want to contribute with something!

I'd /love/ to have some voiced pagans! Would be great to have some for a flooded / pagan quarter FM.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

As a Brit myself, I'd certainly rather hear natural American accents than Americans attempting to do British accents, which tends to sound jarring. I seem to recall the Thief series having mostly American accents, and I never had a problem with it.

• 1 month later...

As for the topic voices in TDM I wanted to add, that many of the death screams for the AI are played too late. I mean between reaching the 0 health status of the NPC and start playing the die sound there is often a long phase of silence. Then, when the body lies on the ground, the sound starts to play, which is kind of confusing (for me).

This is not the case for every sound, so I think, in some cases there is just a slight pause / silence in the beginning of the .wav file (or whatever).

Just wanted to let you know as it annoys me very often (don't know what other players might think - in fact, I believe they would say "you're a master thief, you don't kill people" :D )

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Yes, I know what you're saying. There's no silence at the beginning of the wav though, so it's something in the way it's called by the code.

Oh okay! But shouldn't it happen then everytime someone dies? It seems (to me) to be related on certain sounds!

It might be relate to either a death animation (but I think guards don't use one?) or to the "let the ragdoll come to rest before playing the sound" (which I am unsure actually happens).

Guess you should file a bug report so someone can look into it (grayman will take a 2-months break and we don't have anyone else who could look into the code, tho).

Just for the record, I noticed too. Hit a guy with an arrow, and he plays x seconds after hes resting on the grounds suddenly some death screams.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

god forbid an AI should ragdoll for 10 seconds down a staircase and finally give a yell when he came to rest :rolleyes:

haven't run into this death-yell lag myself, but then again maybe I wasn't paying attention. Oh, and I don't actually kill AI unless they spot me and it makes me mad. then I bust out in a hoppy-jumpy sword-swingy fury.