The Dark Mod Forums

The DarkMod Main Theme (soundtrack)

JazzChriss

Hi

Quick

I just find out that the Thief 4 is in progress so i started to look up for some mods of my favourite game and now im here.

I didnt play any mission yet because of some graphic issues but nevermind that.

I write because the main theme music didnt meet my expectations (tinkering bells at the beginning and little monotonic strings didnt make me happy)

So heres mine proposition for the Main Theme Of Dark Mod (Created 4fun using Cubase/Symphobia tools)

Listen on Youtube

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kCCKWZSj60k

Download Mp3 here:

http://hotfile.com/d...Chriss.mp3.html

Enjoy

Great great work with the mod!

Christopher ;)

Very nice piece. I like it very much.

I don't think it would fit as a main theme, though. It is not easily identifiable theme music, but rather an excellent ambient for a sad/gloomy location.

It's usefulness as a FM ambient is lowered because the theme is not constant, but changes a few times during the song.

I think if some sections were cut into longer pieces with not changing theme, you could produce several absolutely stunning ambients for FMs. Can I please use this song or parts of it in my possible future FMs?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hello, Chris!

Speaking just as a fan and not a mod contributor - I'm afraid I'm absolutely in love with the current Main Menu music that's in TDM right now - in fact it's what sold me on the "atmosphere" of the weird clockwork-punk world. That said, I thought perhaps this post by Fidcal in another thread would explain why it's the way it is with the music box to start with:

FIDCAL: The beautiful menu music nocturne01b was written by Schatten. I have never tired of it even after four years. Schatten is not so much involved with Dark Mod these days so probably won't see this so I'm taking the liberty of reprinting his post from an internal forum at the end of 2009. I'm sure he won't mind...

SCHATTEN: Woah, thanks people. I'm amazed you can still listen to the track after all that time.

Bit of trivia about it:

When I wrote it, I pictured visiting and capturing the theme of the factions and their places.

From top:

House guards / Mansion (music box)

City watch / Streets (piano)

Pagans & Beasties / Forest (pipes)

Builders & Undead / Factory-Church (organ & choir)

Again, thanks. Surprise compliments like that make my day!

That being said - I love your work you linked to! A very nice dark ambient track - it reminds me of the wonderful main menu music for the first Aliens Vs. Predator game.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Thanks

And yes if someone wants to use it in FMs please do

It would be great since i didnt contribute yet to any games/missions/mod scene; and i would love to.

Yes it wouldnt be good for main theme but i would suggest to change the current theme

those bells are ringing bit too loud in my head; but its just my humble opinion :)

Cheers

Did this spammer register before or after greebo added the new verification system?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I think the main menu music is probably the most universally liked thing about the mod. In fact, I think you're the first person I've ever heard complain about it since selecting it all those years ago. I can assure you that we won't be replacing it. :)

That said, I enjoy your pieces as well.

I'm no expert but the main menu music for me has not a grand drama feel but an eery lunatic in the attic murky underworld drama feel (the rising orchestral parts with what seems like rain and thunder) plus a furtive yet assured step from shadow to shadow then a quick run through some bright spots (the piano) plus suspenseful waits (the other sustained percussive sound.) Seems perfect. :)

That music needs to be expanded into about six different pieces and put into DarkMod assets so that I can use them in FMs, definitely. Because that was awesome.

As far as replacing the main menu theme goes, though? DarkMod's menu theme is kind of an iconic thing to get rid of at this point, for better or worse. I never really jumped up and down about it because I liked the song (I'm kinda getting tired of it), but because... it's the DarkMod song. At most, it could use a remastery or arrangement or something - it wouldn't feel right to be replaced completely.

Edited by chumbucket91

there is no way that "the dark mod song" is going anywhere. I believe that if someone created a poll, the results would be nearly unanimous. i can still sit at the main menu, read a book, and chill with that ambient going in the background without getting tired of it. its teh f'ing darkmod song, damnit!

I like it a lot, but I'm struggling to listen for a common theme. I detect something of one in the piano, but it's tough.

It sounds like it belongs in cinema, so (with a little effort), it did synchronize pretty nicely with a mission introduction narration of mine. An old, old, 3-year-old project of mine.

Beautiful stuff, :) and appropriate perhaps for AAA-stylized cinematic games, and maybe someone with a clever control of Doom3 cameras and TDM conversations.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

That was beautiful, but agreed it doesn't fit in as a main theme and is too long for anything other than a long cinematic / mission intro, but then it would only be fitting if the mission was of a similar theme (i.e. haunted / melancholy storyline). Perhaps if it could be split as Sotha suggested then some useful ambients could be generated from it.

I agree that the current theme should not be replaced, sometimes I'll delay starting a FM just so I can listen to the theme one more time! wub.gif

Edited by Midnight