The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Steam requirement cuts off thousands of potential customers. I'm also one of them. The logic lies in equipment and monetary deficits per individual you thankfully have not experienced. Again, subjective. It is dead to me, too, but I hope to see what gems may be buried in that pile as my friends around the world who will bother playing it can find. Yes, great games are plentiful, but great official Thief games are exceedingly rare.

I'm truly sorry it's preventing you from playing the game, but it is still an exceedingly weak argument for hating a project. You can hate the developer for their choice to release it only on Steam but it makes no sense to hate the game itself. There are many console exclusives I have wanted to play for years but due to not owning the consoles and retail prices being ridiculously high in my country I have unfortunately not been able to. One of the games even went completely off the radar over here, so I would have to order it from abroad which carries with it all sorts of costs as well that are under normal circumstances just not viable. Yet I don't say these games are dead to me - I will eventually play them.

Edited by Bridge

I wouldn't be able to eventually play this game for all the modernizations that bar one like myself from the remotest possibility. I have my own sets of questions about new games, and I've been forced to look to Indie titles for a chance to enjoy a game. We still haven't heard from anyone who's played Thiaf with mouse and keyboard, for one. Steam ensures I'll never play the game, as I don't know anyone locally to play it on their system. All I can learn about the game for myself comes from other people in other cities. A surprising percentage of those you might be too quick to call fanboys are simply cut off, left out, and are even being driven from forums that used to be dedicated to the older games. PROGRESS! Progress comes at a price and the sacrificed have a voice, unfortunately for the rest. :ebil: Out with the old, in with the new. We don't live in the same paradigm and that can't be helped.

I'm curious, what exactly is it about Steam that "ensures" you'll never play the game? Is it the fact that you need a credit card or PayPal account? Because that is not something you can blame on Steam - everything is becoming digital. It's simply the way the world is right now and there is no turning back. In 10-20 years I doubt there will even be such a thing as a CD drive or retail games - they will become as obsolete as floppies are now. Times change. It is nobody's fault and you have to adapt if you want to continue on the same path.

Nothing you've said improves anything, so what's the goal here? Steam happens to be the DRM of choice in this context and it sums up DRM, anti-piracy, popularity killing other decent models, etc. It is the figure-head for things. Lack of sympathy/empathy is exactly why people are enraged. You willfully and gladly cut otherwise loyal customers off and say "oh well," but have the gall to ask what our problem is? This isn't going to get any better. You will contribute to the lack of escapism in people's lives and will keep telling THEM to deal with it and leave YOU alone about it. Forever and ever. And your kids. Oh the humanity and their endless cycles, hahaha! *sniff*

Don't put words in my mouth. Let me give you a closely related example to explain to you what I am talking about: It is not possible to buy modern movies on VHS and VHS players are antiquities by now. Yes, I have the gall to ask people why, if they want to watch movies at home, they do not buy DVDs or BluRays and watch them on a compatible medium. Technology is moving ever forward and really, if it is DRM you hate then just say that instead of scapegoating the game. Ignoring of course the fact that Steam is probably the most lenient form of DRM there is. I do not appreciate DRM in any shape or form but I realize that this is the state of the medium and if I want to continue enjoying it then this is how it has to be. I do not find your hostility to be reasonable. It was an honest question because I did not perceive the problem.

EDIT: But to each his own. As you said, this improves nothing. I'm not really in the mood to have this discussion either.

Edited by Bridge

Wow, this is just... this is... well... okay, let's be honest, this is just fucking awful.

Are you guys serious? I think this animation is fantastic!

Oh sure, the animation is alright. It's missing the stylization and atmosphere of the original cinematics from Thief: The Dark Project and The Metal Age, but it's alright.

The problem is everything else. The writing, the voice acting, the piss poor attempt to make it look akin to the older series... the list goes on.

And where is the Rotoscope animations?

What Rotoscope animation?

Oh sure, the animation is alright. It's missing the stylization and atmosphere of the original cinematics from Thief: The Dark Project and The Metal Age, but it's alright.

The problem is everything else. The writing, the voice acting, the piss poor attempt to make it look akin to the older series... the list goes on.

I agree, but I personally never found the animation in Thief to be that appealing. The writing is of course legendary, the voice acting is okay and they are oozing with style - but something about the tweened animation rubs me the wrong way. I love the Ken Burnsish briefings, they are one of my favorite parts of the game, but the cutscenes… They are definitely not bad I just have a hard time getting into the style.

Oh god, who is writing this shit?

"If [the city] was my mother, I'd say I was an orphan." (wtf does that even mean?)

"Every building...chances are I've robbed it, slept in it, or pissed up against it." (ooo, edgy! Look, he's peeing!!)

"If you're a wrong'n..." wtf??

"Maybe there's a fellah I know who can steal back it's life." I don't even know what to say.

"Some call him Taffer, Master Thief, Tricky Bastard." Are you kidding me?

• Like 1

I'm loving these matchboxes. Birds delivering sekrit messages.

Can't get more edgy that pissing on some bricks, hell if it's xXGarretXx's clocktower fortress of solitude, that would make it just even more extreme.

The animation quality of that video was also awful. I'm all for sliding 2D stuff around, but that was bad. Maybe Eidos has contracted ~~The Gloom~~.

• Like 1

Oh god, who is writing this shit?

I couldn't really believe the writing in this was that dire, so I tortured myself by making a full transcript of the v.o. (what I can make of it), and, yes. It is.

Read only if you want to share my pain:

Let me tell you about the city.

If it were my mother, I'd say I was adopted.

If it were a woman, you'd find me in the nearest monastery.

And to call it a friend is the fastest way to [??? - can't make it out].

Every building, chances are I've robbed it, slept in it, or pissed up against it.

Now I get others to do the hard work.

Because I've got the contacts.

If you're a wrong 'un, chances are you know me.

Or maybe you owe me.

Or maybe I owe you.

Now it's different.

We're all in the same shithole.

The Gloom's got the city by the neck.

The Watch has got it by the balls.

The City's dying, right enough -

Person by person,

Stone by stone.

But maybe there's a fella I know

Who can steal back its life.

Because, hell, he can steal anything.

Some call him Taffer, Master Thief, Tricky Bastard -

He's all of them, but I call him

Garrett

(boom chukka chukka gdang gdang boom etc etc)

I haven't got worked up about any of the changes that the reboot seems to be bringing; just thought, ah, I'll get it in a few years for $5 in a sale. But if this is a indication of the level of literacy the game's going to offer, $5 will be too much.

*Settles firmly into saddle of high horse*

*Heads off to find a misplaced apostrophe he can gnash his teeth over*

• Like 1

Maybe the most dire flaw of this "Thief" is simply a lack of class.

It shows in the game mechanics and - most strinkingly - in the writing, dialogue and story.

T1+2 were, in some very serious, twisted kind quite classy.

Even the swearing was not uncouth.

T4 seems like a production of technically talented proles for an audience of proles.

Which kind of makes much sense, because they are the biggest consumer group, and of course T4 has to make max. money for Eidos.

Even the story seems to majorly involve working class problems and "social injustice", if I interpret the teaser videos correctly.

Maybe the game director has some kind of chip on his shoulder.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

I'm not a good fiction writer (better in more exact sciences), but if properly compensated, I have to say that even a commoner like me could have written something better.

I still can't believe that is real.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I really wish they didn't name this character Basso. He is in no way anything like the unlucky locksmith we saw in the original series.

Then again, I could say the exact same thing about the new Garrett.

• Like 1

T4 seems like a production of technically talented proles for an audience of proles.

Which kind of makes much sense, because they are the biggest consumer group, and of course T4 has to make max. money for Eidos.

Well, isn't it the point of AAA games that they cater to Joe Sixpack instead of Mr. Rocket Scientist?

Also, I don't think the topic of criticism of social injustice should be disregarded, even in games, as it is highly relevant in today's world.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm not a good fiction writer (better in more exact sciences), but if properly compensated, I have to say that even a commoner like me could have written something better.

I've seen better writing in a lot of our FMs (and some of our FMs have pretty weak writing). And hell, the more I hear of Thief4, the less concerned I am about our vocals...I'd take our thug vocals against this Basso any day.