The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Basically The Journey with multiplayer. The soundtrack is gorgeous.

It's from 2019, it's kind of old by now. But I'm amazed that this isn't on PC and consoles yet. It's only on Android and iOS as well as Nintendo Switch.
No loot boxes.

It's free:

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for imagination
Indie dev accuses Kalashnikov gun makers of stealing weapon design

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/indie-dev-accuses-kalashnikov-gun-makers-of-stealing-weapon-design

• Haha 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

Not exactly groundbreaking AAA but a very cool looking latin american Fallout mod - Fallout Nuevo Mexico.

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

We can expect a GOG+Epic fiefdom versus Steam as the GOG Connect is frozen. Unreal 5 should save new games from previous eurojank related to Red Engine.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/production/cd-projekt-will-swap-redengine-for-unreal-engine-5-to-create-the-next-i-witcher-i-saga

badge?user=andarson

Ugh, crypto! I hope that when and if this scam bubble bursts, the market will suddenly be flooded with affordable 2nd hand GPUs.

• Sad 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

crypto scalpers covid war and even the companies themselfes are at fault, both AMD and nvidia has pretty much foregone any decent behaviour and upped prices on tech that is pretty much subpar (by a huge margin even) to what was offered before all this. scalpers make a killin by selling that tech for as much as double and sometimes even tripple what the msrp was and neither company has done much to avert this. with the war going on it will probably be even worse in the time to come as now food and other means to keep our livelyhood is becomming expensive as f... as well. covid atleast only stood for restrictions in transporting those goods plus ofc. a good deal of suffering and deaths...

as it probably will affect us all soon enough a few pointers to keeep your old rig running.

dust of coolers regularily, dust builds heat and heat is the enemy (no use for going down in fire with your rig, it can take care of that just by itself and you to if unlucky).

turning of your pc completely might seem prudent in these times with high energi bills, but it puts a huge strain your components to do so. It is better to simply let it hibernate as the power drawn is less than you might expect, and it will hold up a lot longer.

repaste your coolers once every few years, especially your gfx cards as the thermal paste the companies use, usually aint the best stuff and has probably since baked into something aking to dust. if the thermal pads are dried up replace these as well.

• Like 1

also a few pointers on thermal paste.

artic MX4 is usually the goto paste since it works well and has good longevity.

artic silver while considered old by todays standards is actually not bad and more people are getting there eyes opened to that fact. it is a little uncommon as it is not a paste in the usual sense it is actually oil based and contains silver particles which transfers heat better than even copper, that it is oil based also means it is easy to apply as it floats out by itself but being conductive i would advise extreme care if you use it to repaste a GPU. It also has a curing time of about a week at moderate loads for the best outcome.

artic liquid metal, is probably the best paste for getting heat away from a surface quickly, it consists of several different alloys in a rather unusual solution that allmost resembles mercury colored clay, which also means it has to be scraped out on the component you need to cool, it is also corrosive if it comes into contact with aluminium so do not use it for those kind of coolers. besides that it is conductive so care has to be taken with GPU's.

noctua's paste is a bit like MX4 in appearance but strangely it has better cooling than even cryonaut, it is also non conductive and non corrosive so maybe the best paste out there ?.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, revelator said:

the witcher in unreal 5 😱 well i foresee a lot of sad faces with current gfx card prices unless they tone down down the detail this engine is capable of massively. it will be pretty but as the world is atm. it might be a bad idea.

I'm not sure why Unreal Engine 5 would not scale down to weaker GPUs and lower resolutions. It could probably do a better job at it than CDPR's REDEngine, which was being rewritten constantly for each new game, and Cyberpunk 2077 is known for being taxing on hardware (users with potato hardware have to target 720p 30 FPS, if not less).

https://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-red-switched-to-unreal-engine-5-the-witcher/

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Last year Psychonauts 2, and this year...

https://piped.kavin.rocks/watch?v=sahskKAxSCY

Very, very surprising. It's kind of like they would announce that Elvis will rise from the dead this year.

It was an ok game but I personally always loved Sierra's adventure games more. Like Space Quest, Conquest of the Longbow or other niche things such as The Legend of Kyrandia. There's still tons of point & clicks that probably won't come back soon. In general point & clicks are such a niche genre.

Wadjet Eye Games did a good job of bringing back point & clicks among other things.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

On 4/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, Anderson said:

It was an ok game

The puzzles are partly really crazy. Did you finish the games without help?

I recall the spiritual precursors "Labyrinth" and "Maniac Mansion". The first could be beat with logic, but Maniac Mansion already showed what the following Monkey Island games would include: illogical puzzles.

Back then, I did not play  1,2 and 3, but "played" (with online help)  part 4 around 2000.  Loved the humor, the setting and some of the puzzles, but it was simply too crazy.

I really want to love this series, but the developers made theese games much too difficult.

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jaxa said:

Never heard of Redfall.

Vampire MMORPG. Don't care about it.

Didn't care about Deathloop either. Might get it for 10 € one day, just to take a look. But, that rogue like/whatever game already wasn't for me in Prey Mooncrash, and, the setting of Deathloop doesn't do much for me either.

Edited by chakkman