The Dark Mod Forums
stgatilov

Beta Testing 2.08

11 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Then I'd suspect you're testing the wrong scene, or your other settings are too light. Setting FBO resolution to 2 (which means 4x the pixels!) takes twice as much GPU time for my RTX 2080 Ti at the Briarwood Manor opening, for example. It's already impressive that it doesn't take 4x as much time, but it *is* by far the most expensive graphical option there is.

Arguably SS maxed out could be more expensive but I'm not sure how much samples the highest GUI option binds to in 2.08.

11 hours ago, lowenz said:

Exactly, why locking the range to 1 as maximum? 😐

We already have angry reports from "high-end PC" gamers that they can't get 60 fps at 4K 16xMSAA and SS maxed out

Imagine their pain when they can add 2x scaling into equation

I'd even go as far in the opposite direction and disable MSAA higher than 4 in GUI

So the answer is: to prevent non-technical user from getting trapped in a slide show and spreading negative feedback over the Internet.

Anyone knowing what they're doing should _experiment_ with high settings via game console, already suspecting possible performance loss.

If you're curious, the original reason for that is related to FBO changes. You may know that TDM has been fixed to run in user's desktop resolution (at least on Windows), to improve 2D font rendering, work around screen flashes when alt-tabbing, and obsolete the legacy screen resolution maintenance routine. Now the scaling option was specifically added for low-end systems that are too slow to render 3D in full resolution. It was a side effect noticed later that it could be used as a kind of VSR or AA alternative. So the >1 values are for advanced users who already have a working alternative of MSAA.

Of course, and you can even use them together :D (see my screenshots)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Some numbers and strange issues testing Maps vs "old" Stencil

Maps: good performance AND correct SSAO

Maps.jpg

Stencil: bad performance (same settings of Maps) - 100% GPU utilisation with lower FPS - and see that AO missing on the safe horizontal bar 

Stencil.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

A strange behaviour about switching the shadows type:

1) Loading mission with Maps -> 55 FPS (see the screenshot of a New Job fm)

2) Switching to Stencil -> 28 FPS

3) Switching back to Maps -> 49 FPS (-6 FPS! )

We got a memory leak or something like that? Garbage collector not working?

Edited by lowenz

4 hours ago, lowenz said:

A strange behaviour about switching the shadows type:

1) Loading mission with Maps -> 55 FPS (see the screenshot of a New Job fm)

2) Switching to Stencil -> 28 FPS

3) Switching back to Maps -> 49 FPS (-6 FPS! )

We got a memory leak or something like that? Garbage collector not working?

Try quick save/load

Most likely duplicated light interactions in the engine render cache

Not working.

Must quit TDM and restart it and voilà 55 FPS instead of 49.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:50 PM, stgatilov said:

I had some thoughts about graying it out 

When someone will implement the "graying out" please add to the list the HRTF option when a non-stereo speakers setup is detected.

For now please add the text " (for stereo speakers setup only) " along HRTF.

Edited by lowenz

11 minutes ago, lowenz said:

When someone will implement the "graying out" please add to the list the HRTF option when a non-stereo sound setup system is detected.

The last time I checked the detection from OpenAL did not properly. So there is no way to do it.

For now please add the text " (for stereo sound system only) " along HRTF

As soon as menu tooltips are implemented, it would be done easily.

However, I have not yet seen any sort of demo of design proposal for them.

• Like 1

I mean directly in the text field of the option for now :D

OpenAL EAX

OpenAL HRTF  (use for stereo speakers setup only)

SFX Volume

Ambient Volume

etc etc

Edited by lowenz

5 hours ago, SuaveSteve said:

Would it be feasible to set r_fboColorBits to 8?

No, there is no matching format, and even if there was, it would look horrible.

Although I wonder if what you actually mean is what r_fboColorBits 32 gives you, anyway. The bits are a total number, not per channel - so r_fboColorBits is 32 bits for RGBA, meaning 8 bits per channel. Perhaps that's what you wanted, anyway?

• Like 1

Hey i've not been testing, RL is too busy. I fired TDM up with the latest patch to take some screenshots and noticed a warp bug. checked the last two pages the bug tracker but I haven't seen it mentioned:

VtZZwlP.png

It's the old "stuff rendering in front" bug, even those curved posts in the background are because of it. I don't think any of my cvars have changed in any meaningful way for this to be on my side, at any rate if someone could check for themselves I'd appreciate it, it should be easy to spot.

• Like 2

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The "blurry" water shader was never fixed the same way the clear ones were. Perhaps it will be easier now that it is in GLSL...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It's not specifically that water shader, I originally saw this on one of my window surfaces. It should be  fragmentProgram heatHazeWithDepth.vfp, but there's no depth now. Just checked some of the windows in king of diamonds and it's the same.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Here is what I see in King of Diamonds 2.08:

kingofdiamonds_2020-06-30_00_03_32.thumb.jpg.8cd3d28e546a4ed1468a30eaa80ba956.jpg

The window has a proper heat-haze style distortion.

The sword in the foreground has a small halo of distortion artifacts around it that are part of SteveL's detection mechanism to repair

things directly behind the foreground object.

Can anyone on Windows replicate what Spooks is seeing?

@Spooks do you still have reshade or another shader injection tool installed?

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Nope, it's been off for the whole beta test phase. It must be something on my side then, maybe some leftover file I tested for cabalistic... Let me delete my glprogs folder and run the updater again, see what happens.

Yeah, what do you know, the problem's no longer present. I completely forgot I had to put up custom shaders when we were testing the parallax corrected cubemaps/ssao. Phew.

• Like 3

Hello everybody. I registered here again because I need your help. I played with version 2.07 so far. Laptop is a CoreDuo with 2.5 Ghz, 8 GB Ram and an 8800M GTS Nvidea. I always had between 40 and 60 frames in all mods. Since version 2.08 I only have about 15-30 frames, which is very jerky and not a pleasure. Native resolution 1680x1050 is set with 70% renderscale, everything else off (Bloom, AA, Soft Shadows). The two new missions are unplayable. What can I do ? Do I have no options to play the new games with 2.07? Please answer and thank you in advance !! Greetings

Please delete darkmod.cfg and let the game recreate it.

After that we'll see how to optimize.

8800M GTS = 2015 Windows (10?) Update drivers, right?

For the resolution scale set it to 0.76 (~1280x800 - the parameter value is referred to X or Y not to the total area X*Y)

Edited by lowenz

Please use the x64 exe and disable the HRTF if you're using a 5.1/7.1 speaker setup in the Windows Mixer

First batch of suggestions!

1) AA off ! AF can be set to 16x but 8x is enough

2) renderscale set to 0.76 (you can manually input via console r_fboresolution 0,761904 to achieve 1280x800 / do not modify it with the slider)

3) Vertical Sync off OR on but first enable triple buffering in a TDM-dedicated profile in NVCP (15-30 are submultiples of 60 Hz so of course you get those value is VSync is on when the frametime > 17 ms)

Edited by lowenz

Errata Corrige:

r_fboresolution 0,761904

pardon

Edited by lowenz

The Bloom shader is not so heavy on performance, but remember to disable the Ambient Occlusion and the Soft Shadows.

About the Shadows you can switch back to the "classic" Doom3-like Stencil technique (Stencil <-> Maps) and see if you can get a better performance.

Set the color precision to 32 (64 solves every banding problem but maybe old GPUs with old drivers can't handle it very well)

Edited by lowenz