The Dark Mod Forums

Development versions (2.11)

stgatilov

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing updated scripts and other files that are included with the official dev build?

I wanted to check, but I couldn't find a link to download dev builds. They aren't linked in the first post and each dev build announcement does not have a link. Dev build links aren't at https://www.thedarkmod.com/download-sourcecode/ either.

Where can I download them?

Cheers

1 minute ago, Daft Mugi said:

Am I missing updated scripts and other files that are included with the official dev build?

I wanted to check, but I couldn't find a link to download dev builds. They aren't linked in the first post and each dev build announcement does not have a link. Dev build links aren't at https://www.thedarkmod.com/download-sourcecode/ either.

Where can I download them?

Cheers

You need the assets.

These would be acquired by using tdm_installer.

That said, the latest SVN release has assets that are not yet available in the installer so a team member would need to send you copies unless you can wait until the next Dev Build release

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Wasn't the goal to make blackjacking easier?

The main goal was to make it more reliable. I already commited the change as it is easely revertable. To be honest, after all the fuzz people made due to this I expected that some people would actually test the change, so I can decide on whether to add it and in which way or whether to reset it to the original implementation. But after almost two months there hasn't been much feedback at all.

Personally I don't care. In the above linked thread there is a description on how to revert the change if people don't want it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I agree the feedback hasn't been great, which is a bit of a shame.  However, reading that other thread it's not obvious what's changed (at least on the surface).  As far as I can tell there are 2 things:

1. The new indicator animation
  2. Changes in the way the actual knockout works (a new 'trace' method instead the previous 'collision' method).  That's about all I understand about that.

Also, it doesn't appear there has been any changes to the rules, correct?

So, the implication is that perhaps (unintentionally?) something in change #2 has made things 'more difficult'.  If that's the case, the people that have noticed it might want to try to narrow down what's changed and provide better feedback to @Obsttorte.  I think the animation is a nice feature and it would be a shame to bin it after all that effort.

Maybe we need a more organized beta test - just get a few people to commit to playing through an FM with and without the new feature to try an narrow down any issues?  I'd be happy to help.

1 hour ago, Obsttorte said:

But after almost two months there hasn't been much feedback at all.

I wasn't even aware that the change was out already, you need to have done some more advertisment ;). After all I don't normally test every development build anymore because I would need to adjust my patch over and over again...

Edited by wesp5

4 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:
  • The new indicator animation
  • Changes in the way the actual knockout works (a new 'trace' method instead the previous 'collision' method).  That's about all I understand about that.

That pretty much sums it up. The ruleset stayed the same, as there was no consensus to change it.

3 hours ago, wesp5 said:

I wasn't even aware that the change was out already, you need to have done some more advertisment ;). After all I don't normally test every development build anymore because I would need to adjust my patch over and over again...

You got a point. The comment was more aimed at the person involved in the discussion the whole implementation originated from. They asked for a change, I said I could provide it, they noticed it, I started the above mentioned thread, they were gone. 🤣 Typical TDM workflow, I guess.

Nevertheless, I am not much into advertising a change I don't care about. I made it because it was asked for and I had some time.

4 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

So, the implication is that perhaps (unintentionally?) something in change #2 has made things 'more difficult'.

The only aspect that I could think of is the fact, that there is some time passing after you start the blackjack attack before the hit calculation takes place. This means that you may get indicated that a blackjack would succeed by the raised bj, but during the attack the ai may have moved in a way that causes the blackjack attempt to fail. This was explicitely stated by me, though. The indicator is no 100% success guarantee if things change. It only indicates that under the current situation the bj would succeed, so if nothing changes.

It's like with crosshairs that change color when aiming at an ai. This tells you that you would hit, if the ai does not move. Dunno if this is still a thing in modern shooters, though. Haven't played one in ages.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a lighting problem with the latest version (think I was seeing it with earlier drops too).  What's particularly strange is that it doesn't show in captured screenshots!

The simplest way to reproduce: open Crown of Penitence (it just happened to be the first place I spotted it so obviously), start a new game, and crack the door open just a trifle.  The whole room is immediately fully lit (presumably by the torch on the other side of the door).  I took a screenshot with F12, but it doesn't show the effect, so I won't drop that here.

I reverted to 2.10 and the issue went away, so this is a regression.

My graphics card is a bit archaic, so maybe the drivers are wonky.  My system specs are:

• Fedora release 36 with stock drivers
  • Radeon HD 6950 graphics card (AMD Cayman Pro)
Edited by Araneidae
(petty typo)

1 hour ago, Araneidae said:

I've got a lighting problem with the latest version (think I was seeing it with earlier drops too).  What's particularly strange is that it doesn't show in captured screenshots!

The simplest way to reproduce: open Crown of Penitence (it just happened to be the first place I spotted it so obviously), start a new game, and crack the door open just a trifle.  The whole room is immediately fully light (presumably by the torch on the other side of the door).  I took a screenshot with F12, but it doesn't show the effect, so I won't drop that here.

I reverted to 2.10 and the issue went away, so this is a regression.

My graphics card is a bit archaic, so maybe the drivers are wonky.  My system specs are:

• Fedora release 36 with stock drivers
  • Radeon HD 6950 graphics card (AMD Cayman Pro)

Try setting:

r_softShadowsMipmaps 0

or

r_shadows 2

or extract your glprogs folder from tdm_base01.pk4 and add the new shader:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

Try setting:

r_softShadowsMipmaps 0

or

r_shadows 2

or extract your glprogs folder from tdm_base01.pk4 and add the new shader:

Either of the two settings works.  Which should I prefer?

Won't try the new shader now, but can do later on if it would be helpful.

• Thanks 1

r_softShadowsMipmaps 0 is probably preferred since it will have better performance.

r_shadows 2 will look nicer in most cases ( contact hardening soft shadows )

• 2 weeks later...

@stgatilov r10141 introduced some strange (collision/trace?) bugs.

I first noticed that it was difficult to go down a ladder in Hazard Pay. At the second level (in the attached screenshot), it's really hard to go down or up.

]getviewpos                                                                                              
2482 1723 84.25   53.3 5.1 0.0

I've also noticed some clipping through walls and getting stuck in the floor while playing another mission, but I didn't take notes about those.

r10140 is fine.

hazard-pay-ladder.webp

Edited by Daft Mugi
  • Like 1