The Dark Mod Forums

Nevermind

chakkman

2 hours ago, chakkman said:

There are things which don't really add anything useful, or a significant improvement to the mod, while they alter gameplay slightly, which may result in a worse or unfamiliar experience for players who play this mod for years.

Can you give some examples? If you don't specify what you like or don't like then it seems kind of meaningless.

2 hours ago, chakkman said:

It's really pretty inflationary what's happening here, and, most of the proposals are things which don't really add anything useful, but are merely cosmetic, or really, really minor changes.

???

• chakkman changed the title to Nevermind

I moved this here due to the topic change.

Butch Vig should have stayed with Nirvana for In Utero ( fight me ),

Nirvana was already indie enough and didn't benefit much from low-fi production.

@chakkman I understand the frustration. Normally TDM change proposals all happen internally then alpha TDM builds include all of the resultant changes and plyers register their feedback then. Daft Mugi has been doing a little more early outreach before even gaining team consensus. Since our internal vetting process is happening publicly in these threads it can feel a little overwhelming. Rest assured that alpha and beta phases will impact whether any of the changes get added to the final 2.12 release based on long-term player testing.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The thread was opened less than a day after two proposal threads by Daft so I took an educated guess.

That said "Daft did nothing wrong". I strongly approve of early community feedback even if the results are messy sometimes.

• Like 1

@datiswous

That was a joke. You asked for thoughts on switching the the thread to be about nirvana. There is a famous line from Smells Like Teen Spirit: “Oh well, whatever, nevermind.” where the name of the album and now this thread comes from.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

That wasn't Nirvana's fault anyway. Cobain fell apart and committed suicide probably because of becoming too mainstream. It helps to listen to their music in the indie spirit in which they made it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

i wish chad channing had stayed in the band longer , the whole nevermind album would have sounded so different especially the drum part. Nevermind is a good album, i used to like listening to whole bleach album until puddle of mudd made a cover of Nirvana's song About A Girl

hex-237553415B315D3741

I actually feel like they got a little better as time went on. They aren’t my favorite band or anything, but Nevermind, In Utero, and Unplugged are all great albums.

Bleach is good but I never felt it was particularly great.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
typo

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

2 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

I actually feel like they got a little better as time went on. They aren’t my favorite band or anything, but Nevermind, In Utero, and Unplugged are all great albums.

Bleach is good but I never felt it was particularly great.

I found the video for "Smells like" terribly embarrassing. The music was (apart from the fact that KC was neither a particularly good singer nor a particularly good guitarist, but that was probably not the point)  something I partly liked.

Quite worse I found the almost messiah-like worship by my generation. What went off in this regard at the concerts was just embarrassing. Could well imagine that Cobain also did not like that very much.

Bart Simpson had once announced in an episode a title in a rock star fantasy, which was called "My fans are all pigs". Possibly there would have been no one better than KC to play such a song. 😆

They had interesting melody designs. Only thrash metal bands were doing similar stuff melodically at the time.

I was hoping the emergence of mainstream Metallica and Nirvana would lead to a new thrash \ pop hybrid scene. That really didn't happen until System of a Down came along at the end of the decade.

Instead other grunge acts and nu-metal pushed more towards Black Sabbath \ Stoner Doom if they weren't just copying the song structure of the song Smells Like Teen Spirit itself. ( I was really pissed when Smashing Pumpkins made their Teen Spirit clone "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" after they previously had all those amazing songs on Siamese Dream ).

On 9/25/2023 at 9:36 PM, nbohr1more said:

I was hoping the emergence of mainstream Metallica and Nirvana would lead to a new thrash \ pop hybrid scene.

Yeah, for a short time back then I had similar expectations. Looking back now, however, I don't think that would have given a qualitative boost either.

P.S. I didn't realize you were knowledgeable in so many subjects (literature, music, cinema). I always thought you were a video game addicted programmer who hardly ever sees daylight and who does matrix calculations to relax!

• Like 1