to change the brightness of a torch light you can use the following spawnargs

set light_radius on flame (x,y,z)

or

set _color on flame (r,g,b )

so for example

set light_radius on flame 128 128 128

or

set _color on flame 0.5 0.2 0.2

The flame is the attachment name of the flame particle attached to the torch entity (which is actually emitting the light). To change spawnargs on attachments one can alsways use

set spawnarg_name on attachment_name value

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Two questions:

1) Is it possible using spawnargs to make the flame particle on a torch entity not be centered at the middle of the light? I know that you can use the light center spawnarg to change the light origin, so is there something like for the flame particle.

2) How do you make an AI corpse unfrobbable? I see a spawnarg to make it non-shoulderable, but setting frobable to 0 doesn't do anything for the corpse ragdoll.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Two questions:

1) Is it possible using spawnargs to make the flame particle on a torch entity not be centered at the middle of the light? I know that you can use the light center spawnarg to change the light origin, so is there something like for the flame particle.

2) How do you make an AI corpse unfrobbable? I see a spawnarg to make it non-shoulderable, but setting frobable to 0 doesn't do anything for the corpse ragdoll.

1.) use attach_pos_origin_N where N is the attachment position number. For the flame on the torch it is 1. I think the coordinates are relative to the torch origin,

2.) I think you cannot if the ai is suppossed to live for a while and then dies. But you can use the ragdolls themself under create entity -> ragdolls -> bodies and set them to "frobable" "0".

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ah, yeah, I want to make a particular AI's corpse non-frobable after they die...I'm using the revenant ghost and it doesn't really make sense for you to be able to move around their corpses.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Ah, yeah, I want to make a particular AI's corpse non-frobable after they die...I'm using the revenant ghost and it doesn't really make sense for you to be able to move around their corpses.

Check LQD script file. I had revenants. When they got killed a death script is called (check the .def files). Death script starts a thread and runs another script that does multitude of things. The first thing I did was to make the corpse non-frobable. With death script you CAN make AI to go non-frobable if they die!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks Sotha, I'll give it a shot. Btw, I enjoyed LQD - I had a funny little bug where a shadow chased me into that room w/ the crevice in it and I jumped across. Then the shadow threw a rock at me. I guess the projectile behavior for when the player is out of reach hadn't been turned off :-D.

-Sun Myung Moon

I am trying to create a part of the map where if the player walks into it activates a trigger which is linked to a sound.

I created a brush, converted it to func_static then I created the following augs:

sr_class_1 S

sr_type_1 STIM_PLAYER

sr_state_1 1

sr_class_2 R

sr_type_2 STIM_TRIGGER

sr_state_2 1

trigger1 speaker1

However whenever I walk into that area nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks to whoever can help :)

No no.. This is not S&R business, but just about simple trigger entities.

Draw the worldspawn brush. Right click. Create entity. Then choose trigger_once. Then the entity is created and it gets a special texture automagically. When the player walks into the brush, it triggers the target mentioned in the entity. Then the entity is removed so it is a single use element.

Use trigger_multiple to make the trigger work many times. There are spawnargs like wait and delay which control at what interval the trigger keeps firing when the player stands in it.

Clipper

Thanks so much Sotha!

Also another question, is there a way to stop a sound from playing once it already has?

So I just created the brush and then applied the trigger_once Entity to it, then targeted the speaker (which is waiting for a trigger) but then nothing happened.

Does the brush have to be a certain shape/size? or is it just if the player interacts with it at any point?

Put s_waitfortrigger 1 on the speaker

If it repeats when triggered then also add s_looping 0 but if that doesn't work then you might need to copy the shader file and remove the looping in it so it only sounds once. Post again if you need help with that.

Put s_waitfortrigger 1 on the speaker

If it repeats when triggered then also add s_looping 0 but if that doesn't work then you might need to copy the shader file and remove the looping in it so it only sounds once. Post again if you need help with that.

I have the s_waitfortrigger 1 already on my speaker, it just seems strange that it doesn't activate because if I activate it with a button it works.

To list what I did was I created a worldspawn brush thing, then I right clicked, pressed entity, then triggers folder then trigger_once. Then I added "target speaker1" to it and then I was done.

Do I need to tell the trigger_once entity that the player is involved? or does it do that automatically?

it should just work. trigger_once needs only a target.

maybe your t_o is too small? is the target correct? does the t_o have texture common/trigger_once. did you dmap the map?

• Like 1

Clipper

it should just work. trigger_once needs only a target.

maybe your t_o is too small? is the target correct? does the t_o have texture common/trigger_once. did you dmap the map?

Haha oh god i'm an idiot!

I had the texture "nodraw" on it :P oops. I just changed it to the texture called "clip" and it worked straight away.

Thanks for the help guys :)

On patches for roads/walkways/paths that are going uphill or downhill, it seems easiest to create the series of brushes all aligned to grid that make up the path and then convert each of them to a patch so that all of the connecting edges of the patches are aligned to grid and to each other so the vertices can be raised/lowered/manipulated together and the patches move together and stay linked with no "gaps" that let light in etc, whatever.

I realize they don't seal to the void and AI can't walk on them etc. Just curious if this is the easiest way to link patches together on their seams? In other words, link them when they're completely flat and move their vertices together?

Also, I can not get 2 adjacent patches textures to match up seemlessly at all. Tried the "Stitch Patch Textures" with awful results, tried just selecting them both and clicking the Surface Inspec. > Modify Texture > Natural, tried selecting one, copy shader, select the other paste shader Natural... none of these work with satisfying results as there is always a seam present. Only way is to manually align each one (and there's over 30 pieces along the ground throughout the map?)

Can't get textures to line up also on brushes that have been clipped using the clipping tool.

I had no issue with brushes when their faces are parrallel to one of the axes however if they're skew to them... doesn't work.

E.g. you take rectangular brushes and clip the tops of them in the side view using the grid for the clipper selection so that the tops of them now are angled and connect point to point on the grid.

DarkRadiant.jpg

Then selecting the top faces of of those brushes which are angled and trying to align the texture with any simple method even 2 at a time is impossible it seems.

What am I missing here?

Edited by Lux

Hey Lux,

In instances where I've needed to build a "sloping" patch, what I would normally do is:

1) make a large simple mesh patch with lots of verticies (at least 9 x 9).

2) Paste the texture you want on that patch while it's flat,

3) then go into vertex mode (default 'V') and select all the verticies on the patch by using a drag/select box

4) move the ortho view so that you're looking at the patch from the side and then unselect the first row of vertices

5) slide the rest of the patch down 8 or 16 units (or however steep you want the incline to be)

6) unselect another row of vertices and drop the rest of the patch down again

Keep doing #6 until you're out of rows. This gets you a nice, even incline with only one patch and it should be textured properly. For Dirt/rocks, I would use the "bulge patch" command to add some randomness to the patch in between #2 and #3 above, and then drop it down.

Hope that makes sense and is what you're looking for:-P.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Okay, so hopefully someone here can shed some light on. I have some AI's in one part of my level that are opening and closing doors. This section is separated by the void by several hundred doom units from another section. In this other section I can hear the sound of one of the doors opening and closing from the first section...no idea what to do about it or why it's happening.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Sounds like a bug, Moonbo and probably needs putting on bugtracker.

If it were my map and I wanted a quick workaround I would do a quick test and connect the two sections by a long brush stone tube with a kink in the middle with a visportal in it. If that solves it then I would do some imaginative concealment of the two ends, perhaps even reduce the tube to a tiny narrow cross-section. But first I'd do the quick test because if it doesn't work then no point in wasting further time on it.

snip

I appreciate the feedback, Moonbo, and that is not what I'm after unfortunately.

As I understand it, AI can not walk on patches so brushes have to be created with monster clip so they can. If I have to create brushes anyway I might as well just do away with the patch and all the triangles associated with it. Also, the map Is around 3000 units long and a 1000 units wide as the entire map is placed on large sloping hill, so creating a patch that large is prohibitive.

Just looking for a way to quickly align textures on 2 connected angled surfaces. Not possible?

Edited by Lux

1. For the record, AI can walk on patches, just not if they're at some crazy angle or shape. Even then, they can walk on some nearly-crazy angles and shapes, so it's worth trying to see how much they can path without the clip brushes, and just clip what you need to.

2. Clip brushes are invisible, so all you see are the AI apparently walking on the patch. And AI can definitely walk on them because they're straight brushes, even though it looks like they're walking on the crazy shaped patch; that's the whole magic of them.

3. For long stretches, you're going to have to line up pieces one way or another, either multiple patches or if you want more control, build the whole thing in a modeling program as a func_static and break it into big pieces so you can visPortal it, though that would work pretty much like patches anyway (I mean in terms of using clip brushes for hard to path areas).

Edit: Building it in a modeling program is what the professionals would do and would take a lot of time, but it'd look great. Using patches is what you would do if you don't want to take up so much time and it looks good enough for your purposes. Judging by your post, though, it looks like you want a lot of control in the shape, so maybe building it in Blender would make you the most satisfied.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

If someone is wondering how to get sloped patch ground to work with AI pathfinding and how to set it up, please check the starting area or the caves from LQD .map.

Basically there is a worldspawn monsterclip brush staircase that is closer than 16 units from the corresponding spot on the ground patch above it.

Inspect the .map, the concept isn't difficult, but building the monsterclip brushwork is a bit tedious.

Clipper

Does anyone know why you would receive an error message in regards to scripts which just says "redeclared" ?

I can't figure out why this is happening but I have a script which sets it so that once you flip a switch it makes that switch unfrobable. The only thing that changed when I started recieving this error message was I was playing around with different brush shapes in a different area of the map. I assume that doesn't effect it but something has gone wrong.

I decided to replace them with S&R for now as they seem to work just as good at setting if an entity can be frobbed or not.

edit: to clarify the error message I was getting in console was "ERROR:Error: file maps\a\a.script, line 1: UnfrobLever1 redeclared"

Edited by TylerVocal