The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Obsttorte ,

Missed your post, got it now and will try tommorow (texture it common/shadows) it`s getting late so might crash now.

Thanks all and be better than me (not hard).

Be good.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

So I have been playing with softened corners and brushes and I have followed the tutorial on how to blend the textures together (for lack of better words).

So basically I select a face of a wall then press Edit --> Copy Shader then I select all walls I wish to apply the effect to and then press Edit --> Paste Shader (Natural) which is basically what the tutorial told you however I still end up with one wall out of place.

In the screenshot below there are two world brushes and a patch, is there something I am missing here?

Ae9dGPn.png

I don't know any quick way to align them, but you could use the texture tool to align those textures manually.

Well I have already tried that but it's really hard to align the two textures, I don't know why but I just seem to struggle with these ones in particular. In the bedroom I had no problem but here I do :/

I guess I will give it another shot and see how I go.

Thanks again Sotha :)

There are two possibilities:

1. Create patches on the surfaces of the walls and texture the wall brushes themselves with caulk. Now you can just use paste texture natural. (Middle-mouse-click on the first brush, then make all brushes caulk. ctrl+middle-mouse-click on the patch facing towards the same direction as the face of the brush you've clicked on before did. Then repeat middle-mouse-click and shift+middle-mouse-click).
  2. Use the texture editor to scale the patch texture in a suitable way. The align the textures on the brushes.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• Like 1

Wow your fast! How long have you been mapping for?

Also thanks for the video!

Wow your fast! How long have you been mapping for?

Not as fast as I would like to be :smile: I map since spring last year.

DR not Dark Mod/Doom? Has DR and DM worked together before this? Any change to your system/useage since then? How much RAM have you got?

Try running some other big programs at the same time: Web browsers, Word, Paint program. Do they crash as well?

I always have Firefox (dozen of tabs) turned on while building in DR. And it worked yesterday when I dmap -ed my first map (room). No errors everything fine. So today I just changed some lights and changed player start position a bit and it's crashing every time since. I also changed camera speed nad rotation in prefrences just before that first dmap crash, and ticked 'Open last map on startup', when my game (Doom3) path got deleted and suddenly all textures and models were gone.

So I put the path to Doom3 folder again, and it resets to blank everytime I restart DR.

Then I created just a simple room, with 1 light, a texture and player start, and it still crashes on dmap.

I have 4GB RAM. I just installed DR and DM 2 days ago and tried a few missions by others with no problem.

Edited by Aryx

tzl1l.png

Maybe there's an error in the path? The engine path should be the path to Doom, eg,

E:\Doom\

D:\games\doom3\

If yours looks correct then maybe set it directly in the config file which for Vista and Win7 is...

C:\Users\<yourWinUserName>\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant\user/xml

Use a plain text editor.

Or is could be the issue I was having where your path has "Doom 3" in it and it HAS to be "Doom3" with no spaces. You can't have any spaces in your path in preferences.

I relocated my Steam directory just by Copying and Pasting the directory somewhere else and renaming "Doom 3" to "Doom3" and Doom3 runs fine, then I uninstalled it from Steam.

Just make sure you point your prefs in DR to the new Doom3 location.

If your path comes up blank everytime you open it, this is how I fixed it with help from the guys on the forums.

Edited by Lux

On another note, I was reading through Obsttorte's FM thread and I saw this:

"... coming up from the cellar into the first-floor hall. The angled door that goes out to the archery range had a guard stuck in it, going round and round. AI don't handle angled doors well, because the AAS areas they use for navigation are all aligned NS/EW, and angled doorways get broken up into tiny areas, causing AI to get hung up on the door or doorframe. He eventually got out of it, but a few other guards that wanted to use that door had to turn away."

At the top of the thread it is mentioned that Old Habits requires 1.08 to run properly which is the current release so I'm wondering now about my WIP which has many angled doors.

In fact all of my doors that will be on the street level are at angles. Some slight, some severe angles. I have maybe 1 or 2 doors that align with the x/y axis.

Is this going to be a fumbling mess for the AI?

Is this going to be a fumbling mess for the AI?

Most likely, yes. As Fids suggests, path some AI through the doors to see what happens. You can help them out by monsterclipping any func_static doorframes to keep them away from those.

This is not being addressed in 2.0. It probably never will be.

Yeah I'll have to check this weekend when I have some time. :(

Double doors won't/don't fit with the motif of the area at all. Maybe I'll have to make some custom doors that are wider than the stock ones.

Edited by Lux

The problem is that the aas areas are rectangular planes aligned to x/y direction. If the doors are angled, these areas can get pretty small. The ai tries to go trough and does hang up on the doorframe or whatever, causing him to try it again. This can cause the running in circles problem. In fact this problem appeared only from time to time and mostly if there are several ai next to the door. You can reduce the problem by creating an angled *monsterclip hallway* through the door. This should avoid any hang-ups and therefore the circling.