The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hi,

I`m aslo having a problem with some blood decals they don`t appear in game? Other decals are fine like webs but the blood ones are just not showing up thier put on small patches which are placed over the foor. They look fine in DR 3d preview window just not in game? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Obsttorte I found a ragdoll that works ok but for my sake do you mean Select worldspawn (wall) and add target = Entityname?

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Ah..

My bad just read the details. I`ve been trying to use decals\blood and there not for use in maps. Doh;(

Now using textures\decals\splat, Looks good.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Thanks Obsttorte I found a ragdoll that works ok but for my sake do you mean Select worldspawn (wall) and add target = Entityname?

Yup.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I received a dmap error. I was just testing for general errors during dmap. My map was compiling and running fine until this morning. The only thing I've added since last successful dmap is a surrounding castle wall. I have not put any visportals in yet however there weren't any prior to this crash.

Map: mid/mid

----------- Game Map Init ------------

collision data:

3 models

5552 vertices (130 KB)

9706 edges (341 KB)

3619 polygons (254 KB)

771 brushes (107 KB)

6477 nodes (177 KB)

11998 polygon refs (93 KB)

4533 brush refs (35 KB)

3962 internal edges

9 sharp edges

0 contained polygons removed

0 polygons merged

1139 KB total memory used

13 msec to load collision data.

map bounds are (4816.0, 3096.0, 3244.0)

max clip sector is (301.0, 193.5, 202.8)

0 bytes passage memory used to build PVS

0 msec to calculate PVS

3 areas

0 portals

0 areas visible on average

12 bytes PVS data

[Load AAS]

loading maps/mid/mid.aas48

[Load AAS]

loading maps/mid/mid.aas96

[Load AAS]

loading maps/mid/mid.aas32

done.

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.

--------------------------------------

ERROR:i >= MAX_REACH_PER_AREA

--------------------------------------

Currently there are 771 brushes, 42 patches, 11 entities.

Ideas on what's causing this?

Edited by Lux

No idea Lux

Most likely something to do with that wall you added. Have you got the previous dmaped bakup file? only thing I can suggest is that or delete what you added and dmap to see.

Sorry I`m no help.

I'm currently doing the finishing touches on my map, which are tweaking objectives, adjusting LOD and a couple minor other things.

I have a problem with a response effect: I can't figure out how to make an item held in hands, be dropped upon entering the stim radius. It completes the objective alright, and makes it unfrobable, but it can still be put back into the inventory, before dropping it completely. I wan't it to be dropped the moment it enters the radius.

Is it possible to do?

I'm currently doing the finishing touches on my map, which are tweaking objectives, adjusting LOD and a couple minor other things.

I have a problem with a response effect: I can't figure out how to make an item held in hands, be dropped upon entering the stim radius. It completes the objective alright, and makes it unfrobable, but it can still be put back into the inventory, before dropping it completely. I wan't it to be dropped the moment it enters the radius.

Is it possible to do?

Wow I know exactly what you want to do but it`s way above my head.

Only thing I can think of is to somehow maybe trigger grabable from 1 to 0 upon entering stim or when objective completes but this probably would`nt work either as the item is still being held?

I think it is possible somehow.

I received a dmap error. I was just testing for general errors during dmap. My map was compiling and running fine until this morning. The only thing I've added since last successful dmap is a surrounding castle wall. I have not put any visportals in yet however there weren't any prior to this crash.

Currently there are 771 brushes, 42 patches, 11 entities.

Ideas on what's causing this?

This error is due to no visportalization. The engine's capability of handling large areas is limited, that's why you must split it. This is not only t keep performance high but also due to the engine itself.

So to fix this error: add visportals!!!

Is it possible to do?

This is possible, although I wouldn't use S+R for it. If you use a trigger, you can let it target a target_callscriptfunction calling a scriptfunction like that:

void dropItem()
{
 $player1.holdEntity($null_entity);
}

set "call" "dropItem" on the target entity. Be aware that script names are case-sensitive!

It's possible with S+R, too, but more complicated.

This error is due to no visportalization. The engine's capability of handling large areas is limited, that's why you must split it. This is not only t keep performance high but also due to the engine itself.

So to fix this error: add visportals!!!

Ok, thanks Obsttorte. Yeah I haven't gotten to that yet :) I guess that's next or I won't be able to continually test. Was planning on doing it last :o haha, that would have been a surprise for me!

For example, choose any worldspawn brush, and put in "target" "func_static_entityname"

That was a new insight for me. Didn't know you could use the worldspawn like that. Regarding the original question, I would have used a script that killed the AI. Put it in void main...

Question:

I have problems with the command that starts another script thread. I just can't get this thread-command to work.

thread <scriptobject>();

I get around the problem by using sys.trigger on those atdm:call_scriptfunction yellow boxes but it feels silly to use a script to trigger an entity in the map so I can fire of a new script...will post the exact error I get in the console, when I get home from work...

It's best to design portalling sections from the start. It's a bit like building a submarine with separate sealed compartments. If one floods, the others are secure. If you first build the submarine then think to seal it after then it may get awkward.

In addition, unless the map is tiny then you can't properly test as you develop when it is more obvious that any problems are local to the part you are working on. If you leave portalling to the end then you might get lots of errors all at once - some of which might not be fixable in a practical way and some may be difficult to track down.

You don't necessarily need every single visportal in as you build but I recommend you put in key ones at an early stage while developing.

Is it possible to create an AI that looks like a human AI but behaves like a zombie? Simply changing the model of a zombie predictably does not work, but there might be some other way...

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Is it possible to create an AI that looks like a human AI but behaves like a zombie? Simply changing the model of a zombie predictably does not work,

That will work in 2.0, but not in anything before that.

Oh well. Maybe I shouldn't delay my mission just because of that one thing. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

<p>

It's best to design portalling sections from the start. It's a bit like building a submarine with separate sealed compartments. If one floods, the others are secure. If you first build the submarine then think to seal it after then it may get awkward.

In addition, unless the map is tiny then you can't properly test as you develop when it is more obvious that any problems are local to the part you are working on. If you leave portalling to the end then you might get lots of errors all at once - some of which might not be fixable in a practical way and  some may be difficult to track down.

You don't necessarily need every single visportal in as you build but I recommend you put in key ones at an early stage while developing.

Fidcal you r a f#$n hero.Man I`m working on my first small map called (SolarEscape) with 5 objectives including the exit objective so really 4 and this is all following the guide made by oh wait a minute YOU. So I started visportalling the Doors Then windows and Cave segments and Wow man Huge out door area Doh. I remember thinking to my self : Should have done this as I was building.I hope I`m writing about the right subject if not straighten me up will you all.

Oh well. Maybe I shouldn't delay my mission just because of that one thing. :)

Melan I find that there is always something to add or fix But have this strange feeling that it`s a never ending trial.I still think the more one puts in the more everyone gets out. Still there is a limit.Looking forward to your missions.

In addition, unless the map is tiny then you can't properly test as you develop when it is more obvious that any problems are local to the part you are working on. If you leave portalling to the end then you might get lots of errors all at once - some of which might not be fixable in a practical way and some may be difficult to track down.

This is all good advice that I will adhere to going forward for sure. I just didn't realize the engine couldn't handle a map as a whole. I thought visportaling was done strictly to increase performance. I didn't realize it was a requirement from the outset or I would have considered this long ago.

I built my streets curvy so as to visportal them later in to discreet sections and its definitely good to know that I need to get this straightened out now before going forward. Also, I've loaded the map in it entirety before I put in the city wall and some of the buildings stick out further than the wall so its curious I didn't get this error earlier.

Thanks again, Fidcal. I appreciate it.

It depends on size and detail. If you build even a moderately-large map and add patrolling AI, lights and lots of detail then the map will virtually grind to a halt without visportalling because the engine will try to process everything in the map at once even around corners where you can't see.

In addition, if you are new to mapping and don't understand visportalling (sometimes even if you do!) then if you create all the visportals at the end and something goes wrong you may have a huge task to find out where it is wrong. But if you put in a few key visportals as you go along and test the map during development then any error that comes up is usually more easily fixed.

I would like some visportaling advice from someone experienced with it. I have a few questions regarding portaling before moving forward with my map and was wondering if someone has an hour or so (probably less) where we could get together on skype or vent and look at my map together and go over a couple things.

Maybe this weekend, maybe not depending on your schedule.

Edited by Lux