The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

2. aas96_flood worked since the error message no longer appears... and yeah, there is a (stationary) lanternbot in there

... aaaannnd do you expect it to move around? If there's a lanternbot and dmap isn't creating an aas96 file w/o the flood entity present, then the lanternbot won't move.

If he just stands there, and you never expect him to move, all is well. The flood entity serves no purpose other than turning off the error message.

But if you expect him to move around, you should figure out why dmap thinks he can't move. (Maybe he's stuck in monsterclip, or his origin is less than 48 units from nearby monsterclip or a worldspawn wall.) Once you've done that, you can delete the flood entity you added, because it won't be needed.

check the wiki for frobbox_size. As I recall you don't want it too big. Look at virtually any of my maps in a plain text editor. It's also useful to help frob on small objects hanging on a thread or on a narrow pipe or even magically floating in middair so I use it quite a bit.

The frob bias is probably called frob_bias I forget and as I recall it you set it plus or minus a fraction of 1 but I never had much luck with it.

Another related property is frob_distance. You could try giving the object you want to be prominent a slightly bigger distance and the others reduced. Or a combination of that with frobbox_size.

... aaaannnd do you expect it to move around?

No. :)

If he just stands there, and you never expect him to move, all is well. The flood entity serves no purpose other than turning off the error message.

Mission accomplished! :)

post-2023-0-11432500-1374007193_thumb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The main issues that are still there is player reflection,

I seem to recall there was a way around this. You don't have any mirrors or anything where you want to see the player model, do you?

@Melan: If you like you could add me to your beta-testers, so I can see what is wrong.

Regarding the loot: What exactly does not work properly yet?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Any of you experienced mappers seen this on map load and know if its anything to worry about? Map loads to the end of bar and then crashes every time.

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'tdm_ai_builder2_sleep.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/voices/wench/tdm_ai_wench_notice_generic01.ogg' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'tdm_ai_wench_find_soft_corpse_female.wav' using default

removed 16 degenerate triangles

removed 6 degenerate triangles

removed 30 degenerate triangles

WARNING:unknown token 'spike_fence_2_shadow_1' in material '"spike_fence_2_shadow_1 seg002"'

removed 47 degenerate triangles

WARNING:idFileSystem::OSPathToRelativePath failed on

I doubt the sound warnings are anything to worry about but what about the others?

Edited by Lux

WARNING:unknown token 'spike_fence_2_shadow_1' in material '"spike_fence_2_shadow_1 seg002"'

Didn't somebody recently say some spiked fence was causing crashes?

EDIT:

Ach, over heres:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/page__st__3450__p__313322#entry313322

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Could someone test something for me? I think I have discovered an error with the spiked fence models. I get a crash when using these models in a mission, and I would like to see if other people can reproduce the problem:

models/darkmod/architecture/fencing/fence_spike_01_tall_1_segments.ase

models/darkmod/architecture/fencing/fence_spike_01_tall.ase

post-2023-0-65076200-1371158808_thumb.jpg

If yes, I will file a bug report.

I think I`ve ran into the same issue using same models and TDM 1.08 the game will crash first time every time I try to start the mission but the second time it will start properly?

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

OSPath error seems to occur if you have capital letters in your game path. New to 2.0, Taaaki was working on that last I heard.

I got around it by changing C:\Games\TheDarkMod to C:\Games\thedarkmod

Interesting. Thanks, AluminumHaste.

Hi guys

I have been working on my first FM for a while now. At one point during the creation process (unbeknownst to me at the time) my map broke. I am able to load the level, but when it comes to restarting the mission, exiting to the main menu or exiting the game - The Dark Mod consistently crashes. I have systematically gone through the mydmap.txt file - deleting any 'nodes without volume' (these are the only warnings given, apart from the one related to the elite AI guard and his sword-draw sound as well as degenerate triangles). However, after doing this for the fifth time, it seems as if I am butchering my map with no solution in sight.

To clarify, up until this mysterious bug, my map was working perfectly fine. I have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into this FM and really do not want to have to rebuild it.

Can someone please assist me?

Edited by Dunedain19

Thanks, grayman! I have actually been silently lurking on these forums for a few months, breaking radio-silence only now because I am totally at my wits end.

The sequence is as follows:

1. Start Dark Mod

1.1 Success!

2. Dmap current version of FM

2.1 Success!

3. Load map

3.1 Success!

4 Play around

4.1 Success!

5. Attempt to restart, exit to main menu or shutdown program

5.1 Dark Mod crashes on all above three accounts - have to restart program in order to reload level

I have systematically gone through the mydmap.txt file - deleting any 'nodes without volume' (these are the only warnings given, apart from the one related to the elite AI guard and his sword-draw sound as well as degenerate triangles)

The nodes and triangle warnings can be ignored.

Not sure what might be causing the crash off-hand, but I'm sure we can figure it out.

Sorry, disappeared for dinner...

We've had a variety of crashes at shutdown for different reasons, and they've all been fixed one way or another. Probably the easiest thing to do is follow AluminumHaste's suggestion and PM it to someone here so they can look at it.

Do you get a blue window full of "shutting down" text? A readable snapshot of that would perhaps help. There's nothing we can do with Windows' generic "program stopped running" dialogue box, if you're running on Windows.

So, answer these:

O/S?

Version of TDM?

Using Steam?

Memory in the system?

Graphics card?

to turn off reflection you would have to make custom textures and material files and remove the word mirror from the material file, eg just copy the textures rename them to something else not used in game package then write a new material file, or copy the text from existing material file, but change the name of the material used, and add the new path to the copied renamed textures.

I am happy to PM my map to anyone willing to assist. Any takers?

PM it to me.

I have attached an image:

That's odd. If you're using 1.08 TDM, I wonder why Windows thinks you're running Doom 3.

How are you starting TDM?

The "technical information" you get when you "click here" would be interesting to see.

With 4GB of RAM, you might be getting a malloc error (out of memory). If that's the case, you'll be interested in using this. It says it's only for 64bit systems, but Bikerdude says it also works on 32bit systems.

Wasn't TDM supposed to already use the wider memory space?

Anyhow: malloc error treatments are here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Getting_.22Malloc_Failure_for_.23.23.23.23.23.23.23.22_crash-to-desktop

The downsizebump and downsizebumplimit trick will help, at least it did for me.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Can anyone remember or know if there is a slippery decal or texture?

I remember seeing it somewhere but been looking for 30 mins and can`t find it.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Thanks grayman

"I have brush based func_static hidden at map start, and when I switch them, they turn visible but remain no_solid (I didn't mess with that property). What do I miss?"

Leave it visible and hide it after map load by adding this line to your main routine

$name_of_your_fs.hide();

I have this popping out at TDM start:

ERROR:Error: file script\tdm_custom_scripts.script, line 58: "name_of_your_fs" is not a type

It probably need some void anyname() { } but I have no idea how should it look.

S2wtMNl.gif