The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bikerdude

Fan Mission: Return to the City v2 (01/03/2011)

[img]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/members/1/442/441719/thumb_620x2000/rttcv2.jpg[/img]

[b]Intro:[/b]
[i]Back among these old walls again, it seems. The alleyways and courts beckon, the smells and flickering lights the same as ever. Have I been away so little that I remember them all?

No matter. This time, my objective once more brings me to the Builders: one of their workshops has recently received a shipment of potent explosives... Although inert before it is treated with a volatile compound, there is bound to be a mechanician who will pay a good price for the lot.

That settles my agenda for the night. I must be careful, since the Builders aren't known to be lenient with trespassers... and if they knew it was the same fellow who had already paid them a visit... but best not dwell on trivialities. I have found a way to the street where the storehouse is located, and hid myself next to the south gate. If I am unable to open it from inside when I am done, I may just have to find another way out.

It is an hour before midnight. Time to go.."[/i]

[b]Build Time: [/b]
3 months.

[b]Thanks:-[/b]
Huge respect to the Dark Mod team for such a great mod and for all the hard work they put into it and continue to put into it. Special thanks to Fidcal, Serpentine and others for their help on the forums. Melan for making the original map and puttin up with my constant tweaking, the beta testers: Serps, Grayman, nbohr1more, , NewHorizon, 7upMan and others who did an awesome job.

[b]Info[/b]
# Please download TDM 1.04 before playing this FM, as a lot of 1.04 textures have been used!
# On very low end PC's with a "Pentium"4 or "HD2400pro" that are even considered low for vanilla Doom3, I recommend that V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower and "Ambient rendering" & "interaction shader" are set to their lowest settings. Also playing any tdm mission I suggest you do a fresh reboot of windows, this will flush the ram which enables a few extra fps in tdm.

Enjoy [img]http://forums.thedarkmod.com/public/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif[/img] Edited by Bikerdude

[img]http://hlfx.ru/forum/images/smilies/cbs_madlaugh.gif[/img]cool thanks [img]http://hlfx.ru/forum/images/smilies/cbs_madlaugh.gif[/img]

Congratulations, Bikerdude! I can say this with confidence since it was his hard work that created the overwhelming majority of what you can see in this update, including the vastly better performance.

To preempt a possible question: if you recall some of the screenshots that have been posted about the updated and expanded Return to the City, then this is not the mission to feature the areas they depicted. Rather, they will become part of a rather different and fairly large FM. More on it later -- until then, enjoy RttC for what it is!

Congrats on the re-release of rttc you two. Somehow I will find time to play! :)

Mirror: http://bloodgate.com/fms/ReturnToTheCityV2.pk4

That's the rest of my night booked up then. [img]http://forums.thedarkmod.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Melan and Bikerdude!

[quote name='Melan' date='01 March 2011 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1299014752' post='249680']Congratulations, Bikerdude! I can say this with confidence since it was his hard work that created the overwhelming majority of what you can see in this update, including the vastly better performance.[/quote]
Thanks dude, but we would be nowhere without the awesome original! Edited by Bikerdude

Just finished it ;)

What a good mission!! I like the idea of upgrading a good old mission. Everywhere fine new stuff to discover!! Very cool! (but I couldn't solve the optional quest...) But I'm not a native speaker and most letters were too hard to read for me.. (I should definitely try to understand each letter/text)

You got best feedback for this mission, Thank you bikerdude and melan!!

[quote name='Berny' date='01 March 2011 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1299020142' post='249712']Just finished it ;)but I couldn't solve the optional quest...[/quote]
did you find a room with a [spoiler]safe[/spoiler]....? and then look for a [spoiler]dropbox in the wall[/spoiler] of the builder compound

Hallelujah

Thanks!

[size="1"]despite my earlier pronouncement that I might not... of course I will give it a go; I was just making the point that I wasn't simply trying to get a FM released for my own gratific... [/size] Edited by Aprilsister

Story is rewritten very well. It's usual for thieves to rob a place again and again.I finished the mission in about 80 minutes. Climbings were the best for me. They enables reaching places in different ways. Some patrols were difficult and stressed because of non-extinguishable lights. After sometime, I turned serial killer mode on. To be honest before leaving the city I cheated to see if there were more new areas because I was expecting much more. But with this condition of the mission, it definitely worths to replay. :)

Yeah I have been a bit evil, there are a handful of loot locations and one very hard loot location that most people wont find...

:P

...and when it comes to loot, biker is one evil bastard. if biker says "a bit evil" it means get ready to search each shingle on the roofs to see if they can be overturned :rolleyes:
Been playing for 15 minutes now, and the improvement is.... dramatic. If "The City" missions play like this in teh thi4f game, it will be worth playing. the mood/atmosphere in this FM is undeniably Thief, and the rooftops... oh, the rooftops. :wub:

[quote name='ungoliant' date='02 March 2011 - 02:28 AM' timestamp='1299032895' post='249740']...and when it comes to loot, biker is one evil bastard. if biker says "a bit evil" it means get ready to search each shingle on the roofs to see if they can be overturned [/quote]
Ah now com on... a bit evil I said. the loot want be hidden like that, its just the places may not be easy to get too..

OMG finally the wait is over!!!!

Downloading now, will have a ton of screenshots for Moddb in a few minutes!

Moddb release article is up. It will take a couple of days to authorize:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/return-to-the-city-v2-re-release

BTW:

You really need to amend the mission description to relay how much better this performs. Your warning would make folks think that this is just as heavy on a system as the original.

BTW Part II:
GREAT JOB! :wub:

I've added the mission as update to our FM database. Congratulations on getting this flying. :)

[quote name='greebo' date='02 March 2011 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1299043371' post='249753']I've added the mission as update to our FM database. Congratulations on getting this flying. :)[/quote]
Thanks Greebs, but I notice the mindplaces link is using the screenshots from version 1.0. And on the subject I assume you will archive v1.0 and remove it from the website/server etc..?

Congrats on re-release, Biker and Melan ! Original release was pain to play so i gived up, but now it´s time to enjoy ! Thanks, going to the city as soon as dark falls :D

[quote name='Bikerdude' date='02 March 2011 - 06:54 AM' timestamp='1299045286' post='249757']
Thanks Greebs, but I notice the mindplaces link is using the screenshots from version 1.0. And on the subject I assume you will archive v1.0 and remove it from the website/server etc..?
[/quote]
I replaced the 1.0 links in the db with the 2.0 ones. If you can send me some screenies in 850 x 620 pixel format, I'm happy to upload them.